• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Chunkylover

New Guys During Cup Celebration

Rate this topic

I dare anyone to tell these guys they may not touch the Cup. Or, I dare you to go and tell them they have your permission.

Seriously, who are we? Like I'm gonna draw that line. I think it's pretty damn presumptuous of us to even discuss it. If some scrub-ass wants to go touch the Cup, it's not my place to even have an opinion whether he should or not. Personally I've never even seen the Cup in person but if they let me, you bet your ass I'd go touch it, and I'm not sorry if that offends anyone who thinks I don't deserve to because I don't play in the NHL.

I understand your rationale for not wanting to touch it if you didn't "earn" it. But my way of looking at it is that if you've put yourself in a position where you're on the ice with the Detroit Red Wings and one of them offers you the opportunity to hoist the Stanley Cup, I think you do it. Vladimir Konstantinov didn't earn the "minimum requirements" to have his name on the cup in 1997-98, but the Red Wings wanted him to touch it and be a part of the ceremony.

Obviously, Justin Abelkader is nowhere near as important as Konstantinov was, but I think lots of people get to hold or touch the Cup all year anyway, so if you can be one of them, go ahead!

This reminds me of a Dana Carvey stand up where he talks about hanging out with Paul McCartney and he says something to the affect of he doesn't condone smoking pot but when a Beatle hands you a joint you toke, you toke away!!!

I dare anyone to tell these guys they may not touch the Cup. Or, I dare you to go and tell them they have your permission.

Seriously, who are we? Like I'm gonna draw that line. I think it's pretty damn presumptuous of us to even discuss it. If some scrub-ass wants to go touch the Cup, it's not my place to even have an opinion whether he should or not. Personally I've never even seen the Cup in person but if they let me, you bet your ass I'd go touch it, and I'm not sorry if that offends anyone who thinks I don't deserve to because I don't play in the NHL.

That would be my take on it too, who am I to sit behind my keyboard and tell them who can and cannot touch the cup!

I think that as part of the team they earned the right to celebrate. Wouldn't they be kicking themselves for never touching it this time and never winning a Cup again? I understand the superstition, but always sort of thought about it in the way of being on a team that won the Cup, not necessarily being one of the players who played most of the games....if teams didn't want the guys who didn't "contribute" to touch the Cup and be a part of the celebration then they'd make sure the players/staff/whomever else, didn't get on the ice to celebrate. At least that's my opinion.

Yup kiss it... hug it... lick it... all of the above (well minus the licking cause i didn't want cooties) was what i did with it.

Too all those who say thats a no-no... I say.... BOOYA I got to touch something amazing!

Word.