• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

5 ways to change the NHL

Rate this topic

1) Fire Bettman

2) National Television Situation Change. A) Have the Versus add better quality programing to its line up to make it more attractive to cable companies. B) Bring down TSN and add to cable companies as a new ESPN 3. C) Bite the bullet and sing a s***ty contract with ESPN, as long as Jim Rome plays the Ron Barr of the Hockey Night and games are televised 3 times a week in HD.

3) No more East and West- The east and west themes are unfair to any team in the west due to travel. Bring back the Campbell and Wales Conferences and then make sure all the rivals stay together in divisions. Divisions opponents play 5 games, Conference 3 and opposing conference 2. 3 inter conference teams will have to be played only twice to keep the schedule at 82 games.

4) Move some teams - Milwaukee, Seattle/Portland, Winnipeg, and Quebec all should have teams. They should only be granted teams if the owners are willing to keep the salaries above the league median for at least 4 years.

5) All new TV personalities- No more Gary Thorn, Bill Clement, Pierre McGuire, and Mike Milbury. They will all have to be new. Maybe hire Mike Myers as analyst for some publicity. I really don't like the sound of that but something has to change.

Oh and instead of increasing the salary cap, force teams to lower ticket costs unless 50% of a teams games are sold out. I

Edited by Wiser19

4) Move some teams - Milwaukee, Seattle/Portland, Winnipeg, and Quebec all should have teams. They should only be granted teams if the owners are willing to keep the salaries above the league median for at least 4 years.

What are you basing this on?

If franchises from Winnipeg and Quebec City, two cities that definitely like hockey in general by default, if they moved to more southern locations, what does that tell you? It tells me that there was not enough corporate support and residential support in dollars. Sure the atmosphere up in Winnipeg probably likes hockey up there a lot more than in Phoenix. But Winnipeg isn't all that big of a city, and while it's warm and fuzzy to like hockey, not everybody can buy season tickets or even afford to go to 20 games a year.

5) All new TV personalities- No more Gary Thorn, Bill Clement, Pierre McGuire, and Mike Milbury. They will all have to be new. Maybe hire Mike Myers as analyst for some publicity. I really don't like the sound of that but something has to change.

I highly doubt the NHL has much or anything to do with controlling this. That is totally about to the stations that broadcast these games. For me personally, these guys have no bearing whatsoever on my hockey watching, whether the are perceived as good or bad, overdramatic or knowledgable, whatever. I tune that stuff out more often than not. I just like to watch the games.

Don't forget when comparing US cities to Canadian cities to factor in the fact that the Looney is almost worth as much (If it isn't yet, haven't checked) as the US dollar, when teams were moved from the Winnipeg and Quebec city. Times have changed and cities and industries have changed and grown, you can't compare Winnipeg then to Winnipeg or Phoenix or Florida now.

What are you basing this on?

If franchises from Winnipeg and Quebec City, two cities that definitely like hockey in general by default, if they moved to more southern locations, what does that tell you? It tells me that there was not enough corporate support and residential support in dollars. Sure the atmosphere up in Winnipeg probably likes hockey up there a lot more than in Phoenix. But Winnipeg isn't all that big of a city, and while it's warm and fuzzy to like hockey, not everybody can buy season tickets or even afford to go to 20 games a year.

I highly doubt the NHL has much or anything to do with controlling this. That is totally about to the stations that broadcast these games. For me personally, these guys have no bearing whatsoever on my hockey watching, whether the are perceived as good or bad, overdramatic or knowledgable, whatever. I tune that stuff out more often than not. I just like to watch the games.

The is every to bring teams areas I stated. I am sorry if some owners are only happy with having a team. Craig Leopold was a great owner in Nashville and was to much of a gentlemen to move them when he realized it wouldn't work in that part of the country.

I have lived in that part of the country and there is a lot of money and not a lot of interest. I also lived in Dallas, which with out argument is best example of moving hockey to south. I like the south I would love to see hockey flourish in the south but when it doesn't work we should move teams to proven markets. I can't believe the Twin Cities didn't have a team for over a decade when Florida (2), Carolina, Arizona and California (2) were all granted teams. I understand Money talks but if there is dedicated hockey fan base in an area like Minnesota, there should be a team. Milwalkee and Seattle are the perfect examples of areas that would have an instant fan base. The thought that Kansas City and Las Vegas would be better is ridiculous.

I know the NHL does not have a choice of announcers but these guys suck. Bring in some CBC announcers that are in the minors. Anyone but the assholes that are driving all the quasi hockey fans away.