• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

5 ways to change the NHL

Rate this topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...N?urn=nhl,98585

1. Hockey players should no longer be allowed to wear helmets. As all casual observers of the sport know, hockey players are impervious to pain. But their faces are still able to be damaged; teeth destroyed, eyes knocked out of their socket, noses flattened. And yet they will keep coming. This will help us train our master class of human to take on the Terminators during the upcoming cyborg apocalypse.

2. Playoff beards should commence growing on the first day of the season and should not be shaved until a team is eliminated from the playoffs (or playoff contention). This will be especially dazzling in High Definition.

3. The same goes for mullets. Especially so.

4. Considering the success of the New Years Day game in Buffalo, all games should be played outdoors. If you can't figure out a way to make that work, Phoenix, well, why do you have a team anyway?

5. All players should be secretly required to use steroids. Baseball's steroid age brought countless headlines and, ultimately, unprecedented popularity and profitability. This sport needs a better class of criminal.

Gotta love the suggestion that all games should be played outdoors. The playoff beards and mulletts thing can be kinda scary tho.

1) Bettman resigns

2) Bettman falls off cliff

3) Bettman decides to let the boys play hockey insted of basketball on ice

4) Shanahan is picked for comish

5 and for the sake of the game they leave Versus and and hook up with Fox Sports,screw ESPN

1. Bettman resigns

2. NHL referee book completely re-written to allow actual playing of hockey on the ice

3. Divisional teams play eachother no more than four times a year, five tops

4. More emphasis on Original 6 and Eastern/Western Conference matchups

5. Bye Bye Nashville and Atlanta

1.) Add ESPN and ABC to the broadcast partners. Monday/Tuesday is Versus. Thursday is ESPN. Saturday is ABC. Sunday is NBC. For playoffs ESPN/ABC would have East, NBC/Versus would have the West (or vice versa). And they would alternate who airs the finals.

2.) Puck over the glass would result similar to icing instead of a penalty.

3.) Puck off the mesh would still be in play.

4.) Instigator would be gone forever. I'd murder it, chop it up into pieces and bury each piece somewhere around the world so that it could never rise from the dead and reassemble itself and harm the NHL again.

5.) When possible, the All-Star game would be the outdoor game. When not possible, the outdoor game would be an actual regular season game as it is now. In either case, it would be held the Sunday before the Super Bowl.

all they need to do is instate a 2 point line and this sport will be the best :thumbup:

on a more serious note... Get rid of instigator rule (i know this is all 2 common) and have some way that the team can call a challenge (like in football) where you can challenge say 1 or 2 plays per game... some might disagree but I would like it so these bonehead refs cant single handily destroy a game... ehh i only have 2 suggestions right now O.o OH and take out the skills part of the all star game that puts me to sleep...

Edited by Duck Guy

5.) When possible, the All-Star game would be the outdoor game. When not possible, the outdoor game would be an actual regular season game as it is now. In either case, it would be held the Sunday before the Super Bowl.

I like this idea.

For some non-serious ideas I suggest...

(1) Let the goalies use handguns.

(2) For every goal scored against a goalie, he has to pick from a choice of 3 doors for his consequence.

a. Sit in a pot of water at boiling temperature for 25 consecutive minutes.

b. Look at Michael Jackson for 2 hours straight while he has children at his Never Never Land Ranch.

c. Wear a wonderbra for your next 3 outings.

*shrugs*

all they need to do is instate a 2 point line and this sport will be the best :thumbup:

on a more serious note... Get rid of instigator rule (i know this is all 2 common) and have some way that the team can call a challenge (like in football) where you can challenge say 1 or 2 plays per game... some might disagree but I would like it so these bonehead refs cant single handily destroy a game... ehh i only have 2 suggestions right now O.o OH and take out the skills part of the all star game that puts me to sleep...

just dont listen to the skill part :)

David Letterman had some of his own ideas -

5. Goals scored by goalies count as 5 goals

4. Canadians must play in bare feet

3. New snack bar item - missing players teeth dipped in fudge

2. All penalty minutes must be served sitting next to Michael Jackson

1. Only guys named Stanley get to wear cups

Gotta keep hockey in Atlanta. I just got a job at their practice facility in Gwinnett County, GA, so it will keep me employed for a while and keep me out of more preteen figure skaters running around the place. Besides, the thrashers have an AMAZING fan base, in fact, a few years ago I attended one of their practices just because free hockey is free hockey, and there was four fans in attendance, including myself. I did get a practice pick flipped to me and signed, one side Ilya and the other Hossa. At least that holds some kind of value.

Seriously though, no one, and I mean NO ONE in this county or Altanta really seems to know anything about the thrashers, nor do they care about hockey. It's depressing, I miss the North. 90% of sports stores around here carry nothing for hockey, not even thrashers stuff. It's all Football, Baseball, and Basketball in that order.

Zetterberg would replace Ozzy. :thumbup:

1) Fighting is cool. Let it happen more

2) ESPN plays games on regular basis and hires people that like hockey

3) ESPN2 coverage also

4) Better marketing

5) Smaller goalie equiptment. (already happening)

That's hilarious, although number 3 had me confused until I realized it should have been players' missing teeth. Then it made sense. I mean, if we had missing players, how would we know where their teeth were?

Canadians should be the only ones allowed to wear skates. Get rid of the helmet rule. More fights. Never underestimate the power of a wonderbra.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Edit: Confusion led to a misstatement.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

1. Doc Emerick is forbidden from using the words foul or false start. (this is not basketball)

2. Rulebook is rewritten to get rid of the weenie superstar talent show. (this is not basketball)

3. Bettman resigns

4. Bettman resigns

5. Get rid of the mesh

6. Put the glass height back down to 2ft on the sides.

7. GET RID OF LIT ADVERTISEMENTS IN THE BOARDS.

8. Hooking isn't called unless you haul the player down.

9. NO ******* TRAPEZOID.

10. Get rid of the tacky arena announcers that sound like they are doing wrestling.

11. Stop blacking out games, let people choose which coverage they want to watch.

12. No damn penalty fests.

13. Stop trying to push hockey in places where no one gives a s*** about it.

14. Stop naming arenas after corporations.

15. Make any call video reviewable through the use of challenges, or if the referee feels he is unsure about a call.

16. Lower ticket prices so the average joe can afford them.

17. Per player salary cap of like $2 million or something. Too many losers in it for the money.

18. Get rid of the sloppy ice in arenas, most games I'd see huge puddles of water on the ice that didn't freeze until halfway through the period.

19. Get rid of s*** composite sticks, someone is likely to get graphite shards in the face one of these days, something like 5 sticks break per game.

20. Get rid of 2nd referee.

21. Play each team at least once per year.

22. Get rid of Carolina, Nashville, Phoenix, Atlanta, Columbus, Florida, and LA or Ducks.

23. Make beer at the game not cost $5.

24. Sidney Crosby is banned from whining.

25. Bring back old time hockey, like Eddie Shore.

Edited by spyder

1. Doc Emerick is forbidden from using the words foul or false start. (this is not basketball)

2. Rulebook is rewritten to get rid of the weenie superstar talent show. (this is not basketball)

3. Bettman resigns

4. Bettman resigns

5. Get rid of the mesh

6. Put the glass height back down to 2ft on the sides.

8. Hooking isn't called unless you haul the player down.

9. NO ******* TRAPEZOID.

10. Get rid of the tacky arena announcers that sound like they are doing wrestling.

11. Stop blacking out games, let people choose which coverage they want to watch.

14. Stop naming arenas after corporations.

15. Make any call video reviewable through the use of challenges, or if the referee feels he is unsure about a call.

17. Per player salary cap of like $2 million or something. Too many losers in it for the money.

18. Get rid of the sloppy ice in arenas, most games I'd see huge puddles of water on the ice that didn't freeze until halfway through the period.

19. Get rid of s*** composite sticks, someone is likely to get graphite shards in the face one of these days, something like 5 sticks break per game.

22. Get rid of Carolina, Nashville, Phoenix, Atlanta, Columbus, Florida, and LA or Ducks.

23. Make beer at the game not cost $5.

:clap:

Finally... someone else that can see what hockey really needs... I was so suprised when I came and read this, only to see that no one really mentioned or touched on what REALLY needs to change in the NHL. Unfortunately, there are COUNTLESS number of ways to improve it that I'm sure most could agree on. Spyder made some GREAT points...

Now, if only these changes would ever happen, we'd be on our way... <_<

2. Rulebook is rewritten to get rid of the weenie superstar talent show. (this is not basketball) (Not sure what this means but if I don't get to see Datsyuk steal the puck and wear the goalies jockstrap well then I am opposed!)

3. Bettman resigns

4. Bettman resigns

5. Get rid of the mesh (Because you can't see through it?)

6. Put the glass height back down to 2ft on the sides. (Again because you can't see through it?)

8. Hooking isn't called unless you haul the player down. (Wouldn't this encourage diving?)

9. NO ******* TRAPEZOID. (Apparently you like extra defensemen?!)

11. Stop blacking out games, let people choose which coverage they want to watch. (I understand the frustration but this generates league revenue.)

14. Stop naming arenas after corporations. (If you want to front the 250million or so those deals bring you can name the arena anything you want, It's to keep taxpayers from footing the bill.)

17. Per player salary cap of like $2 million or something. Too many losers in it for the money. (I think a hard cap would be better and more fair.)

19. Get rid of s*** composite sticks, someone is likely to get graphite shards in the face one of these days, something like 5 sticks break per game. (Someone who doesn't want saftey nets or higher glass is worried abou graphite splinters?! :))

23. Make beer at the game not cost $5.(Beer costs about 8.50!!! Five dollars would be a blessing!)