• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GMRwings1983

Which of These Players Should Make the Hall of Fame?

Rate this topic

Rob Blake

Peter Forsberg

Pavel Bure

Adam Foote

Sergey Zubov

Paul Kariya

Keith Tkachuk

Alexander Mogilny

Mark Recchi

Vincent Damphousse

Joe Nieuwendyk

Pierre Turgeon

Peter Bondra

For me personally, I think Forsberg, Blake, Foote, Recchi and Niewendyk are all guys who should make it. Bure is the one that I'm mixed about. The others I don't believe should make it. Who do you guys think should get in from this list?

Rob Blake NO

Peter Forsberg Yes

Pavel Bure Yes

Adam Foote No

Sergey Zubov Yes

Paul Kariya No

Keith Tkachuk No

Alexander Mogilny No

Mark Recchi No

Vincent Damphousse No

Joe Nieuwendyk No

Pierre Turgeon No

Peter Bondra No

None of those guys instantly scream Hall of Famer. All can have arguments made for them. The biggest ones are guys like Zubov, Bure, Forsberg, and Kariya who were among the top players at their position for several seasons. Guys like Nieuwendyk and Turgeon were really considered second-tier centers in the late 80s/early 90ss period behind guys like Lemieux, Gretzky, Yzerman, Fedorov, Modano, LaFontaine, Francis, Gilmour, Oates, Sundin, etc. and that will hurt them as far as HHOF consideration. They never were able to separate themselves from the pack and earn any sort of accolades, or distinguish themselves in any way that really proved them to be better than 'good players on good teams' which isn't good enough for the Hall.

Rob Blake

Peter Forsberg

Pavel Bure

Adam Foote

Sergey Zubov

Paul Kariya

Keith Tkachuk

Alexander Mogilny

Mark Recchi

Vincent Damphousse

Joe Nieuwendyk

Pierre Turgeon

Peter Bondra

For me personally, I think Forsberg, Blake, Foote, Recchi and Niewendyk are all guys who should make it. Bure is the one that I'm mixed about. The others I don't believe should make it. Who do you guys think should get in from this list?

I think Bure will get in. He was just way too good. I agree with everyone else you said. If Mogilny had stayed healthy in his career he would be in as well. But he didn't, so he won't.

I say no to all. I can't say you can't make ANY case for any of them, but none of them are definite yesses and it should take a definite yes to get in. Foresburg is probably the best but he's not had the longest quality career, too many injuries. Oh, and he's an Av.

Foote is the hardest to judge amongst all, because he's a defensive defenseman, and so he can't really be judged by stats. There are several defensive defensemen in the HOF, but they played many decades ago.

I included him because of the Cups and a Gold Medal, and the fact that he was one of the best in his own zone for a long time.

Niewendyk is another interesting guy, because he won 3 Cups with 3 different teams, which includes a Conn Smythe trophy, a Calder Trophy and a Gold Medal to his career. That's why I thought he should be included.

Guest Crymson
Rob Blake

Peter Forsberg

Pavel Bure

Adam Foote

Sergey Zubov

Paul Kariya

Keith Tkachuk

Alexander Mogilny

Mark Recchi

Vincent Damphousse

Joe Nieuwendyk

Pierre Turgeon

Peter Bondra

Forsberg, Bure, Mogilny, Nieuwendyk, Turgeon.

Blake and Foote? Why?

Forsberg, Bure, Mogilny, Nieuwendyk, Turgeon.

Blake and Foote? Why?

I already explained why for Foote, and Blake is another guy who won several trophies and was a pretty good defenseman at both ends for over a decade.

I can understand how others wouldn't include them on the list. That's why I thought it would be interesting to ask about these borderline guys.

Why would you include Turgeon?

Edited by GMRwings1983

Forberg and Bure.

One was the best playmaker in the league for a solid stretch and the other the best goal scorer.

Beyond that it's a lot of good but not quite great players that don't stand out from the crowd.

Forberg and Bure.

One was the best playmaker in the league for a solid stretch and the other the best goal scorer.

Beyond that it's a lot of good but not quite great players that don't stand out from the crowd.

Agreed.

Forberg and Bure.

I agree with that, but I add Recchi and Bondra.

Forberg and Bure.

If it was up to me, neither of these guys would be in either, but with Neely in there, you really can't keep these guys out.

I already explained why for Foote, and Blake is another guy who won several trophies and was a pretty good defenseman at both ends for over a decade.

I can understand how others wouldn't include them on the list. That's why I thought it would be interesting to ask about these borderline guys.

Why would you include Turgeon?

Blake was good offensively. He was a good hitter. He was NEVER good defensively. EVER. People just gave him credit for it because he occasionally laid down a good hit in his own zone. Same reason people said Kasparaitis was good defensively, even though he might have been the single worst defenseman playing in an NHL team's top four in terms of defensive skill. That could possibly even extend to top six.

Forsberg, Nieuwendyk, Recchi perhaps Foote. They all have multiple Cups. I think most people here are too young to really acknowledge the play of Nieuwendyk and Recchi back in the day. I can see no other reason to leave Nieuwendyk out.

Rob Blake...YES

Peter Forsberg...YES

Pavel Bure...YES

Adam Foote...NO

Sergey Zubov...YES

Paul Kariya...NO

Keith Tkachuk...YES

Alexander Mogilny...YES

Mark Recchi...NO

Vincent Damphousse...NO

Joe Nieuwendyk...YES

Pierre Turgeon...NO

Peter Bondra...NO

Joe Nieuwendyk will surely make it. 3 cups, a Calder and a Conn Smythe get him in the Hall. That along with a gold medal at the Olympics, 500+ goals and 1000+ pts? Won't be longl. If Sundin can be in the Hall, so can Joe.

Edited by Yzerfan1999

Rob Blake...YES

Peter Forsberg...YES

Pavel Bure...YES

Adam Foote...NO

Sergey Zubov...YES

Paul Kariya...NO

Keith Tkachuk...YES

Alexander Mogilny...YES

Mark Recchi...NO

Vincent Damphousse...NO

Joe Nieuwendyk...YES

Pierre Turgeon...NO

Peter Bondra...NO

Tkachuk? Why?

None of those guys instantly scream Hall of Famer. All can have arguments made for them. The biggest ones are guys like Zubov, Bure, Forsberg, and Kariya who were among the top players at their position for several seasons. Guys like Nieuwendyk and Turgeon were really considered second-tier centers in the late 80s/early 90ss period behind guys like Lemieux, Gretzky, Yzerman, Fedorov, Modano, LaFontaine, Francis, Gilmour, Oates, Sundin, etc. and that will hurt them as far as HHOF consideration. They never were able to separate themselves from the pack and earn any sort of accolades, or distinguish themselves in any way that really proved them to be better than 'good players on good teams' which isn't good enough for the Hall.

Nieuwendyk was able to.

Career stats and achievements;

Awards

* ECAC's First All-Star Team - 1986, 1987

* All-American - 1986, 1987

* Calder Trophy - 1988

* NHL All-Rookie Team - 1988

* King Clancy Memorial Trophy - 1995

* Conn Smythe Trophy - 1999

* NHL All-Star Game - 1988, 1989, 1990, 1994

* Winter Olympics Gold Medal Hockey Men's - 2002

* Stanley Cup - 1989(Calgary Flames), 1999(Dallas Stars), 2003(New Jersey Devils)

Career Statistics

NHL Totals 1257 564 562 1126 677 158 66 50 116 91

International Play

Played for Canada in:

* 1986-87 National Team

* 1986 World Junior Championships (Silver medal)

* 1990 World Championships

* 1998 Winter Olympics

* 2002 Winter Olympics (Gold medal)

* all from Wikipedia

He seems like a no brainer to me. Same goes for Recchi. His stats are better then Joe's

GP G A PTS PIM GP G A PTS PIM

NHL Totals 1,410 522 859 1,381 942 140 47 70 117 77

Edited by Yzerfan1999

Rob Blake

Peter Forsberg

Pavel Bure

Adam Foote

Sergey Zubov

Paul Kariya

Keith Tkachuk

Alexander Mogilny

Mark Recchi

Vincent Damphousse

Joe Nieuwendyk

Pierre Turgeon

Peter Bondra

...if ANY of these guys get in, then Osgood is a shoe-in!

Nieuwendyk was able to.

Career stats and achievements;

Awards

* ECAC's First All-Star Team - 1986, 1987

* All-American - 1986, 1987

* Calder Trophy - 1988

* NHL All-Rookie Team - 1988

* King Clancy Memorial Trophy - 1995

* Conn Smythe Trophy - 1999

* NHL All-Star Game - 1988, 1989, 1990, 1994

* Winter Olympics Gold Medal Hockey Men's - 2002

* Stanley Cup - 1989(Calgary Flames), 1999(Dallas Stars), 2003(New Jersey Devils)

Career Statistics

NHL Totals 1257 564 562 1126 677 158 66 50 116 91

International Play

Played for Canada in:

* 1986-87 National Team

* 1986 World Junior Championships (Silver medal)

* 1990 World Championships

* 1998 Winter Olympics

* 2002 Winter Olympics (Gold medal)

* all from Wikipedia

He seems like a no brainer to me. Same goes for Recchi. His stats are better then Joe's

GP G A PTS PIM GP G A PTS PIM

NHL Totals 1,410 522 859 1,381 942 140 47 70 117 77

Nieuwendyk started full-time in the NHL in 1987-88. He retired from the NHL after the 2006-07 season. In that time frame, he received three second-place votes and two third-place votes for the postseason all-star team, all in the 97-98 season. That total was good enough to get him fifth place that season. So he was, in one season, considered a top five center because all of the first-place votes, and most of the second and third place votes, went to the top four centers. Of the vote-getters who finished behind Nieuwendyk that season, the combined total vote was 0-7-5. Compared to a total vote of 53-43-45 for the four guys who finished ahead of Nieuwendyk that season, and the fact that Nieuwendyk is the only top-five center without a first-place vote, I would say that Joey Nieuwendyk failed to separate himself from the pack as I said. Recchi was a top-5 RW in All-Star voting four consecutive seasons from 1990-91 through 1993-94. He also garnered a second-team selection in that time period. He had one more top-5 selection later in his career as well. Recchi is certainly a yes ahead of Nieuwendyk if it comes down to that decision.

:blink:

I find it laughable how many people in this thread/forum have no idea just how good Forsberg and Bure were. Forsberg WILL make the hall- no question. Look at his stats! His ppg, goals, awards, clutch play- that man is one of the greatest playoff performers in the past 10 years. Honestly- doubting whether Forsberg or Bure are first ticket HoFers is like doubting Jagr.

Forsberg- douchebag or not, enemy or not- has the following:

2 Olympic golds

2 World Champ golds

3 World Champ silvers

1 Hart

1 Art Ross

1 Calder

7 All-Star games (a 6 year streak in there too)

885 NHL pts in 706 games

1 big ego and jackass smile

Bure?!? 779 pts in 702 games. 2 60 goal seasons, a 58, a 59 and a 51 goal season. That dude was a goal scoring monster.

I've always thought that the Hall of Fame should tighten the standards so that it's not the Hall of Solid Careers. Joe Nieuwendyk was a good, solid player for his entire career, but he was never "the guy."

At one point in their careers, Bure was the best goal scorer, and Forsberg was considered by many the best all around player. Chris Osgood, until this year, was considered the NHL's equivalent of Trent Dilfer in that his team won (in 98) in spite of him and not because of him. This season he definitely redeemed himself, but still likely isn't in the top 5 goaltenders in the league. While he's had successes, he's had more than enough high profile failures at inopportune times to be a shoe in for the "Let the puck in from beyond the blue line/center ice" HOF. We owe a large part of this last Stanley Cup win to him, but he's no Hall of Famer.

These are my top five Ozzie memories...

5) Osgood scores

4) Osgood gets yanked in 97, SC won

3) Jamie Langenbrunner scores the game winner from half way in 98 during a key game, we win the cup anyways

2) Osgood wins the 08 Cup, and should've won the Conn Smythe

1) Osgood crying in the locker room after we got knocked out by SJ after he let in another goal from center ice

Chris Osgood has never won the Vezina trophy. Jim Carey 1, Chris Osgood 0. Can you really put someone in the hall of fame who was never, ever the best at anything. He was likely only top 3 in a few of the years he played. And yes, I do realize that he played in a good era of goalies and Red Wings goalies are always overlooked because of the stellar defense. To that I say he wouldn't have dominated any era, and that he wasn't a standout when he left the wings for a spell.

So to summarize, Chris Osgood was and is a good, but not great, and certainly not elite goaltender.

PS to all: please don't count World Championships as reasons people should be in the Hall. It's kind of like saying, "My country's 'all=knocked-out=of-the-playoffs-early' team is better than yours."