• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shutemdown

Lidstrom called "Best European Player Ever".

Rate this topic

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/1747...-by-nation.html

Ok, so I read this article earlier and they say that Lids is the best Swede to ever play the game. Originally the guy said SECOND-best, but I think he still settles that Lidstrom is the best.

Federov was named as ONE of the best Russians to play.

Who do you guys think are the single BEST players representing their respective countries? We'll say they have to be playing in the NHL right now in order to qualify.

So that means Yashin is out....Damn. Daigle for Canda? Damn, again. :P

If were going by they still have to be playing in the NHL:

America: Mike Modano

Canada: Sidney Crosby

Russian: Alex Ovechkin (Dats in second)

Sweden: Nicklas Lidstrom

Slovakia: Marian Hossa :D

Czech: Jagr (But obviously he doesn't fall in your criteria, so I'll say Robert Lang :P )

Finland: Olli Jokinen (Miikka Kiprusoff in second)

German: Olaf Kolzig

Austria: Thomas Vanek

France: Cristobal Huet

Russian: Alex Ovechkin (Dats in second)

Totally worthless. Maybe the best in the post-lockout basketball league, but not all time, and Cindy isn't even the best now.

Edited by spyder

Totally worthless. Maybe the best in the post-lockout basketball league, but not all time, and Cindy isn't even the best now.

You need to read the entire initial post before hitting the respond button. See bolded comment below:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/1747...-by-nation.html

Ok, so I read this article earlier and they say that Lids is the best Swede to ever play the game. Originally the guy said SECOND-best, but I think he still settles that Lidstrom is the best.

Federov was named as ONE of the best Russians to play.

Who do you guys think are the single BEST players representing their respective countries? We'll say they have to be playing in the NHL right now in order to qualify.

I could make an argument for Vinny right now, but his defense isn't anything to write home about. If you're gonna make that comment about Crosby, than why don't you put your money where your mouth is and put down a Canadian you think is better than him *currently* in the NHL.

I was asking in today's NHL, with all the current players, who do you think the ONE best player is from each country? Not best players of all time, just the ones that are currently playing.

In that regard, I think he was pretty accurate. Canada's hockey "prodigy" is Cindy Crybaby, just as Alex Ovechkin is Russia's best, brightest star in the league.

If there are others you think are better, name 'em. :rolleyes:

I was asking in today's NHL, with all the current players, who do you think the ONE best player is from each country? Not best players of all time, just the ones that are currently playing.

In that regard, I think he was pretty accurate. Canada's hockey "prodigy" is Cindy Crybaby, just as Alex Ovechkin is Russia's best, brightest star in the league.

If there are others you think are better, name 'em. :rolleyes:

I think you need to clarify your question. For example, if we're talking about the Russian player who is active in the NHL and has had the best career, Fedorov widely trumps Ovechkin and Datsyuk, based on his body of work. If you're talking about best player as of today, Fedorov wouldn't stand a chance. So are we talking about the best players, not only active, but as of this moment?

I think you need to clarify your question. For example, if we're talking about the Russian player who is active in the NHL and has had the best career, Fedorov widely trumps Ovechkin and Datsyuk, based on his body of work. If you're talking about best player as of today, Fedorov wouldn't stand a chance. So are we talking about the best players, not only active, but as of this moment?

Alright, so obviously the question was too vague, or too open-ended... so I'll rephrase.

Skill-wise, who do you think are the single, best players from each country? Doesn't matter what their resume looks like or how many cups, I'm talking in regards to overall skill, who do you think the most talented player from each country is? Keep in mind: they have to be playing in the NHL right now!

I guess that's a little bit better...

Guest Shoreline

U.S.: Patrick Kane

Everywhere else: Nicklas Lidstrom

Best Right Now

USA: Ryan Miller

Canada: Iginla/Crosby

Russia: Ovechkin

Sweden: Lidstrom

Czech: Hemsky

Slovakia: Gaborik

Finland: Selanne (not sure if he counts)

Best Career that are Still Active

USA: Modano

Canada: Sakic

Russia: Fedorov

Sweden: Lidstrom

Czech: Elias

Slovakia: Hossa

Finland: Selanne (once again, kinda borderline)

On The Rise

USA: Kane

Canada: Crosby

Russia: Ovechkin

Sweden: Backstrom

Finland: Filppula (hopefully)

Best All Time:

Canada-Mario Lemieux

USA-Mike Modano

Russia-Sergei Fedorov

Slovakia-Peter Stastny

Czech Republic-Jaromir Jagr

Finland-Jari Kurri

Sweden-Nicklas Lidstrom

Bold. Gonna take a lot of heat for not saying Gretzky or Hasek (not that I don't agree with you).

I'm sure I will take some heat. The Hasek/Jagr thing is essentially a toss-up.As for Gretzky/Lemieux I just feel Mario dominated after the influx of Europeans in the league.

Guest mindfly

No one could beat lidström...

6norris, 4 stanley cups, first european captain... says it all...

Alright, so obviously the question was too vague, or too open-ended... so I'll rephrase.

Skill-wise, who do you think are the single, best players from each country? Doesn't matter what their resume looks like or how many cups, I'm talking in regards to overall skill, who do you think the most talented player from each country is? Keep in mind: they have to be playing in the NHL right now!

I guess that's a little bit better...

...now since you put it that way, SKILLWISE Nick Lidstrom is NOT the best Swede in the NHL. Zetterberg has more SKILLS than Lidstrom, so there you have that...

...career accolades and downright hockey smarts and greatness Lidstrom tips his hat to NOONE... (but is not quite as Skillful as Zetts, sorry!)

I'm sure I will take some heat. The Hasek/Jagr thing is essentially a toss-up.As for Gretzky/Lemieux I just feel Mario dominated after the influx of Europeans in the league.

...if Mario would've stayed healthy and not turned into a crybaby (like Wayne) he was have blew Wayne's stats out of the water!

Best All Time:

Canada-Mario Lemieux

USA-Mike Modano

Russia-Sergei Fedorov

Slovakia-Peter Stastny

Czech Republic-Jaromir Jagr

Finland-Jari Kurri

Sweden-Nicklas Lidstrom

I agree with all of this this. Except I would put Chelios ahead of Modano and Hull too (if he qualifies for US).

...ok, here goes, a little obscure fun! These are players that were born in the said country. Using the Brett Hull theory, even was born in the US, he could've have played for Canada because he father was in fact Canadian (:blink:) So some of these players could've represented their country of birth in international play. Most our actually "FROM" that country, so here we go! (confused?)

All-Time Best NHLer's from around the world! (besides the obvious)

(all players listed have played in the NHL)

Belgium - Jan Benda

Brazil - Robyn Regehr (did not know he was from Brazil!)

Brunei Darussalam (where?) - Craig Adams

Denmark - Poul Popiel (the pocket fisherman?)

East Germany - Mikhail Gabovski (I'm not making these up, I swear!)

France - Paul MacLean (he was actually born in France)

Germany - Dany Heatly (again, he was born there, so he has citizenship)

Haiti - Claude Vilgrain (former Red Wings draft pick)

Indonesia - Richie Regehr (:blink: any relation to Robyn? If so their parents were frisky world travelers! :lol:)

Ireland - Jim McFadden

Italy - Nelson Debenedet

Jamaica - Graham Townshend

Japan - Yutaka Fukufuji

Lebanon - Ed Hatoum

Netherlands - Ed Kea

Nigeria - Rumun Ndur

Norway - Espen Knutsen (obvious)

Paraguay - Willi Plett

Poland - Mariusz Czerkawski

Korea - Richard Park

Russian Federation (where?) - Sweeny Schriner

South Africa - Olaf Kolzig (and you though he was german! :lol:)

Switzerland - Mark Hardy

Taiwan - Rod Langway (yep, born in Maag, Taiwan)

United Kingdom - Steve Thomas (honorable mention to Owen Nolan, Ken Hodge and Steve Smith was born there too!)

Republic of Tanzania - Chris Nielsen

Venezuela - Rick Chartraw

Yugoslavia - Ivan Boldirev

...did you know Peter Bondra was actually born in the USSR? Yep, in a town called Luck...

Best All Time:

Canada-Gretzky, Howe, Orr, Mario Lemieux

USA-Chelios, Brimsek, B. Hull, Leetch, Langway, M. Howe, LaFontaine, Roenick, Mullen, Mike Modano

Russia-Fetisov, Kharlamov, Tretiak, Mikhailov, Makarov, Firsov, Sergei Fedorov

Slovakia-Peter Stastny

Czech Republic-Hasek, Jaromir Jagr

Finland-Jari Kurri

Sweden-Nicklas Lidstrom

Fixed.

Guest Shoreline
canada - draper

usa - rafalski

sweden - lidstrom

czech - hudler

russian - datsyuk