• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dump-N-Thump

Aaron Downey re-signs: 1 year 575k two-way contract

Rate this topic

Guest Dump-N-Thump

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...4062/1053/rss17

Forward Aaron Downey will sign a two-way contract to remain with the defending Stanley Cup champion Red Wings.

Advertisement

The NHL Players Association web site no longer lists Downey as unsigned. The web site lists Downey as a Wing with compensation of $575,000 for the 2008-08 season.

I spoke to Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill shortly before noon and he said "we're very close" to signing Downey to a one-year, two-way contract.

Downey would make $575,000 with the Wings or $100,000 with the Grand Rapids Griffins. The Wings have also offered Darren McCarty a similar two-way contract. The Wings are less than $500,000 under the cap and still plan to sign veteran defenseman Chris Chelios.

"Because of our roster situation, we have no choice," Nill said of offering the two-way contracts. "We have to have flexibility."

Players like Downey, Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader, Ville Leino, Jonathan Ericsson, Kyle Quincey, Derek Meech and Jimmy Howard will go to camp hoping to win one of the final roster spots on a team overflowing with talent.

Nill said the Wings wanted Downey back because "he did a great job last year."

"He created room for the skill players and that's not any easy job," Nill said. "And he fit in will in the room."

Downey, who turns 34 on Aug. 27, had 116 penalty minutes in 56 games last season and had no goals and three assists.

GREAT SIGNING!!!!

I have to admit once more, last year at this time I would have been all over this board complaining about this signing.

But after watching the way he approached his role last year on this team, FANTASTIC!!!!

Good. Glad he signed the two-way deal and didn't sit around waiting for a pro-conract. If he plays the way he can and has the same attitude he had last year he'll get his chance to stay here or will get that conract somewhere else.

it s a good signing that i hope, will end these boring discussions between the pro and the anti- enforcers

Is this signing making a trade more inevitable (is this word correct?)?

I don't think any team will trade for Downey. There's better enforcers out there, even in the minors, for them to make a move for a guy like this.

I do, however, see this as lessening McCarty's role on the team, if he does decide to come back.

Great to have him back, but dang are we snug under that cap. I know most of the other players mentioned can go down to GR, but it has to be unlikely that Mac and Cheli will return at this point.

Even still, I'm happy to have Downey back. I always love his positive attitude during interviews and his complete disregard for himself, his opponents, the boards, et cetera, while on the ice.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Im excited, Mostly because if he does get sent down, I get a full dose of Downey in GR.

FFS, Now what can i complain about?

I got Lilja re-signed, Kopecky is on track for a speedy recovery, Downey is re-signed.. OH YAH WAAAAH I WANT MCCCARTY@@@@

Is this signing making a trade more inevitable (is this word correct?)?

If you mean a trade to make more cap space, like all the talk that a d-man will probably be traded? No. Since it's a two-way deal he can be sent down to Grand Rapids and his salary won't count against the cap. Signing him does not make a trade more likely. It's just as likely as it was yesterday.

This made my day! Now, get Cheli and Mac signed and make the rest of my week, Kenny.

:thumbup:

The Wings are less than $500,000 under the cap and still plan to sign veteran defenseman Chris Chelios.

Does this speak the end of Dmac's comeback? Less than 500K to sign Cheli AND Mac doesn't sound super likely to me.

But good signing with Downey for sure.

Does this speak the end of Dmac's comeback? Less than 500K to sign Cheli AND Mac doesn't sound super likely to me.

But good signing with Downey for sure.

that is what i was thinking too, but i think it is time to move on, it was a feel good story last year to go with many others, but now is a new season and time to start a new "story" so to speak

that is what i was thinking too, but i think it is time to move on, it was a feel good story last year to go with many others, but now is a new season and time to start a new "story" so to speak

While you are more than likely 100% correct this all but ends his Red Wing comeback story. I am not sure it ends his comeback, I can see a young team (LA, PHO, etc) grabbing him up thinking he can still be a grinder/fighter.

Not saying he will be the D-mac of old but I see him landing some where.

Guest mindfly

I have a question that's maybe a bit off-topic, but which website has the most up-to-date stats.. i mean, some sites say jonathan ericsson is 6'4 203lbs, some websites 6'5 220... says downey is 220 as well, on wings website it says 215 :S do they weigh themselves on traningcamp?