• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Report: Sundin wants to play for Rangers

Rate this topic

A report in the New York Post indicates that Mats Sundin's agent has informed the New York Rangers of Sundin's intent to sign with them.

If a deal cannot be reached with the Rangers, it's said that Sundin would look to sign with Philadelphia, who is already over the cap.

http://sportsnet.ca/thewire/hockey/2008/08...itchin_to_lace/

Guest Shoreline
J.P. Barry, who represents the elite, 37-year-old former Toronto pivot, has been in constant communication with Rangers front-office personnel this week, The Post has learned, though the conversations have not reached the stage of a contract negotiation.

There have been no numbers exchanged between Sundin and the Rangers, who have approximately $2 million of cap space to spend on the 2008-09 roster.

Your title is very misleading.

Edited by Shoreline

honestly, f*** sundin, he said he was gonna make up his mind late july-early august. sooo many rumours i'm not even gonna take anything serious until its official

Guest Shoreline
No, if it said "Sundin to sign with Bruins", then it would be misleading. :)

Well, due to this..

.. it's no surprise your title was misleading.

From the article:

though the conversations have not reached the stage of a contract negotiation.

How could one read this and even suggest anything about the Rangers?

Not even newsworthy, especially given previous incidents about reported "interests", never mind that no discussions related to an actual contract came up.

Edited by Shoreline

It is my belief that all of this is a smokescreen, as if it were true, i can't believe that the Sundin camp (or either team) would allow such info to become public, considering that either the Rangers or Flyers would have to reduce payroll via trade, to make this signing happen.

Nothing like compromising a possible new team's ability to make a payroll-reducing deal, by telegraphing your intentions.

Further, it would be ill-advised for either one of these teams to part with younger players to create cap space for a 38 year old player (the Rangers should know better), not to mention that Sundin would be nuts to sign with either team, if he is indeed serious about winning the Stanley Cup.

Finally, this saga will end prior to the opening of camps, and unless Sundin retires or returns to the Leafs (i don't think that he will) i have a hunch that He will end up signing with a club that isn't visible on the radar at this time.

Good, I hope the Rangers do sign him. They can continue the trend they've have for awhile now. The Rangers are easily one of my least favorite franchises. It makes me laugh to see them always signing big name players (prior and post salary cap era) and having nothing to show for it. Spend all the that money NY, doubt I'll see you lifting the cup anytime soon.

Guest mindfly

No he will retire or play for habs... rangers isn't a contender... sundins biggest mistake was to ignore the western conference.. here we have wings, sharks... which should be the biggest contenders for the cup... pens wasn't interested in him, so it will be habs/retirement and philly as a wildcard.

The Flyers can't afford him, but they would probably consider making room for him via waive and/or trade. The Rags would sign him too. However, I honestly think that his presence on one of those two teams could make one of them potentially the best of the EAST, meaning they could make the finals, making them contenders.

I honestly could see a surprising decision from Mats, aside from those 4 options.

So could I. The thing is, I don't know what he wants in his heart of hearts. Does he want to make a bona fide deep-season drive for the Cup, or would he rather make some serious money than be part of a solid push for the Cup? Seems Mats himself doesn't even know.

I cited those four options because they more or less cover his spectrum of possible motivations -- so: serious Cup contention (Habs), serious money (Canucks), waiting for a truly palatable opportunity to present itself (sitting out a season), or, well, calling it quits. Personally, I'm becoming less and less convinced that he cares deeply about the Cup. I mean, first of all, if he could have things his way, he'd retire a Leaf. But more than that, he seems to be very wary of the Western Conference. I'm sorry, but barring divine intervention, neither the Pens nor the Habs are going to take down the likes of the Wings, Stars and Sharks.

Edited by Dabura

I'm sorry, but barring divine intervention, neither the Pens nor the Habs are going to take down the likes of the Wings, Stars and Sharks.

Weirder things have happened. Believe it or not, the East usually has a decent shot at winning the cup. They didn't last year because Malkin and Sykora dropped off just before the finals. And the Wings went to the Finals.

You know, looking at this report again, the Rangers can't afford him either - they're still over the cap by a hair.

With Montreal out of the mix, the most likely destinations for Sundin (taking into account money available for said teams) are Colorado or Vancouver - that is, if he'll even sign with a Western Conference team (which I don't think he will). If not them...hey, Toronto has money.

Any news on Sundin?

I think he has narrowed it down to two teams.

I've read Chicago, Philadelphia, and New York. Sundin is meeting with the Rangers on Saturday.