• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
skacore

Stefan Legein retires at age 19?

Rate this topic

According to this link:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=246953&l...s=secStory_nhl

Stefan Legein has decided to retire at the age of 19, he says he won't be attending the Bluejackets training camp but his father says "he hasn't quit anything until September 20th (training camp)", that's basically all the article says, kinda weird, he was a beauty for Canada and is a good agitator.

I remember this guy being the "funny guy" on the Canada World Juniors. Like he was the prankster and what not, I believe it was him anyway.

I really don't get it, he was good, and a player bound to make 7 figures per season eventually. I really don't get it. There isn't really too many reasons for a player to quit at such a high level. What is he going to do now, become a banker? I seriously don't get it at all.

Lets say hypothetically you're drafted by a team who may never make the playoffs; could retire to be free of their ownership of you? Or would you just have to wait it out?

Crappy team or not, it's a chance to play at the highest level and maybe get traded or signed in the future. It has to be a personal reason. THat being said, I can't imagine what it could be that would make him retire so young.

I love how some people think when it comes to young hockey players. Why give up the 7 figure salary of the NHL? It was obviously a personal decision driven by personal issues. Could have been anything physical or mental, we just don't know but it will probably come out down the road.

While I am disappointed to hear a great young player won't be coming to the NHL, I also have to applaud his decision. I would rather see players who are operating at 100% and ready to dedicate themselves to their team than someone who isn't ready to do that.

Hopefully one day he will return ready to play in the NHL.

Crappy team or not, it's a chance to play at the highest level and maybe get traded or signed in the future. It has to be a personal reason. THat being said, I can't imagine what it could be that would make him retire so young.

Looking at the big picture, he's lived his entire life working to play in the NHL, to play at the highest level. He wouldn't just retire on a whim for no reason...

I believe he has a personal injury or medical problem that may prevent him from being able to perform. I can't think of another reason for a young, 19-year-old to retire when he just got drafted and signed, while making big waves in the juniors. This kid had alot going for him, he wouldn't just walk away from it all for nothing.

Either way, I hope he's alright and that he returns to play!

I remember this guy being the "funny guy" on the Canada World Juniors. Like he was the prankster and what not, I believe it was him anyway.

I really don't get it, he was good, and a player bound to make 7 figures per season eventually. I really don't get it. There isn't really too many reasons for a player to quit at such a high level. What is he going to do now, become a banker? I seriously don't get it at all.

I resent that noted sarcasim. I am a banker and do quite well at it, :)

Seriously there is more than meets the eye here. I am willing to bet that there is some discord at home with his parents.

Lets say hypothetically you're drafted by a team who may never make the playoffs; could retire to be free of their ownership of you? Or would you just have to wait it out?

That is a good question. I know that the Jackets own his NHL rights, for how long, I'm not sure. I know there is a set number of years that a team has to sign their draft picks before they become UFA's or go back into the draft in other sports, so I would assume hockey is no different.