• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Holland: "I don't expect to hear from McCarty until Sept&quot

Rate this topic

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/08/ho...ct_to_hear.html

Holland would prefer to bring Darren McCarty back as well...

"We won the Stanley Cup and I like our team," Holland said. "With Downey and McCarty, you have options if another team tries to play a certain style."

But Holland doesn't expect to hear back from McCarty until September:

"I've offered Darren a contract," Holland said. "It's the same situation (as Downey). He's trying for the best situation."

Holland said he spoke earlier this month with Pat Morris, who is McCarty's agent, and told him to take the month to try and find a one-way deal with someone else.

"We'll still have a two-way offer available at the start of September," Holland said.

You can't fault Darren for wanting to see what else is out there. Darren really needs the money. And yes it's his fault because they were his demons to battle. Trust me when I say, this is where Darren wants to play and he's not turning his nose at the team that made his career and then gave him a chance to revive it, but when you look at his financial situation if someone will guarantee him 575k vs. 100k that's almost six times the salary. To put it into perspective, I love the company I work for and my job, but if someone was offering me six times what I make, I'd have to move on as well.

hi I'm darren mccarty why yes my career was saved by the red wings generosity and ive never had any success anywhere else but im still gonna see if I can play for another team

lol

You can't fault Darren for wanting to see what else is out there. Darren really needs the money. And yes it's his fault because they were his demons to battle. Trust me when I say, this is where Darren wants to play and he's not turning his nose at the team that made his career and then gave him a chance to revive it, but when you look at his financial situation if someone will guarantee him 575k vs. 100k that's almost six times the salary. To put it into perspective, I love the company I work for and my job, but if someone was offering me six times what I make, I'd have to move on as well.

you cant make 100k per season in the nhl

No, but with his apparent two-way contract he would make that with the Griffins when sent down.

It's either the Red Wings or Europe, he has no other options.

It's either the Red Wings or Europe, he has no other options.

Yeah, but with the 2 way he'd be sent down to GR. No one would claim him on waivers. With the cap situation only one of he or Downey could be up at one time... if that.

I don't see whats stopping the Penguins from signing him.

Lack of speed, bad penalties and a checkered past? :ph34r:

He's been offered a contract out of respect and because of nostalgia. He has a better touch around the net than Downey does but other than that... meh?

you cant make 100k per season in the nhl

No but you can in the AHL.

Two-Way Contract: Has two different salary structures. The league min if the player is in the NHL all year is 575k. If Darren were to spend the whole season in GR, he would only be paid 100k. If he spends time in both leagues he would get a prorated salary based on days spent in each league. A one way contract is guaranteed money regardless of where he play's. Example would be Cujo's stint in the minors. He was being paid 8million a year to play for the Griffins.

Mac should be getting in the best shape he can and then go compete for a job with the Wings. If he doesn't make the team and is sent to Grand Rapids thats still $100,000. I wonder what he was making when he was out of hockey? If he thinks he deserves to be on the team, go out and prove it.

I am still a supporter of Dmac but my heart will not be broken if he does not sign with the Wings. I totally agree with Booster on this and kind of think some of you are being a bit childish about this. If he wants to see if he can make more money then go for it, if he cannot then he has a home here. My feelings are not hurt. Ken Holland's feelings are not hurt, I don't know maybe he knows a thing or two about things.

honestly not sad to see him go, he really isn't thinking this through

hes never had any success away from detroit, and furthermore this town/state loves the guy- the opportunities to for endorsements/commercials etc were always much greater here

Edited by omnipotent_hudler

hes never had any success away from detroit,

He spent 2 seconds in Calgary where he was well past his prime and injured most of the time. What success could he have had?

We're not talking about Mats Sundin here, bud. He's won 4 Cups, is declining more and more to the point where he is barely an NHLer and is in financial trouble. Of course he's gonna try and get some cash where possible.

He spent 2 seconds in Calgary where he was well past his prime and injured most of the time. What success could he have had?

We're not talking about Mats Sundin here, bud. He's won 4 Cups, is declining more and more to the point where he is barely an NHLer and is in financial trouble. Of course he's gonna try and get some cash where possible.

um right my argument is that he can get more here

I love Mac as much as the next guy, same thing with Chelios, would I love to keep them forever and ever, sure. But I also would have liked Steve and Shanny and Doug Brown to stick around forever. I think its time for Mac to try his opportunities elsewhere and hopefully someone gives him a full time NHL spot. Good luck whereever, Mac.

If I was Mac I would go to training camp on a tryout for the Wings and if I was cut I'd get on the next plane to Mother Russia and play in the KHL. Make a little less than a mill cuz im a english speakin canuck and drink some vodka. Or just go to the Netherlands and play in some s***hole and get stoned to the bejesus all day. No love lost ..