• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Opie

Who drew you in?

Rate this topic

So you may or may not have heard, but Yaz (Carl Yastrzemski) had triple bypass surgery, in reading articles there were a s***load of comments with people giving Yaz credit for making them a baseball fan.

I personally wasn't a fan until I saw Yzerman play, so I can relate to those people.

But it made me wonder, what player brought you into the world of hockey?

If this is a waste of DB space feel free to delete.

...alot of folks are gonna say Yzerman just because that is as far back as they remember. For me Yzerman kinda started it, I remember some news reports about him when he was a rookie ( I was 13) but what really drew me in was the year that the Bruise Borthers were hot, coupled along with the emergance of the (then) youngest Captain ever and Petr Klima. The come from behind 3-1 playoff run against Toronto, Klima's penalty shot. Of course the Red hair streak was **** at the time! :lol:

...I would say the combo of Yzerman, Klima, Probert and Kocur drew me in...

...alot of folks are gonna say Yzerman just because that is as far back as they remember. For me Yzerman kinda started it, I remember some news reports about him when he was a rookie ( I was 13) but what really drew me in was the year that the Bruise Borthers were hot, coupled along with the emergance of the (then) youngest Captain ever and Petr Klima. The come from behind 3-1 playoff run against Toronto, Klima's penalty shot. Of course the Red hair streak was **** at the time! :lol:

...I would say the combo of Yzerman, Klima, Probert and Kocur drew me in...

RE: your sig

Why not Fenway-Rousch racing seems to be making both parties a good chunk of change!

Yzerman when I was younger. Then I turned 13 (24 now) and was able to stay home instead of going to my brothers' hockey games. Because of this I lost interest in hockey although I did watch the playoff runs.

My dad ended up getting 2 tickets to opening game of the 2005-06 season and took my mom. I complained that I never got to go to a Wings game (would usually get 4 tickets so my mom, dad and brothers would go). He promised me the next time he got tickets from his boss I would get to go. So December 12, 2005 I went to my first live game against Pittsburgh. Zetterberg scored a powerplay goal and a sweet shorthanded goal (right in front of us) and I was hooked.

So I give credit to Zetterberg for bringing me back to hockey. I am now addicted and never miss a game.

My uncle, he was an Red Wing honorary Alumni I owe alot of it to him, I worked with a couple of Alumni at his plant in Southfield MI and met alot of them in Florida at a golf outing every year held at the Orange Tree Golf Coarse in Orlando

so I owe alot to my Uncle A.E. Wisnie founder of Progressive Tool Inc. good bless you Uncle Tony and rest in peace

Guest CaliWingsNut

The russian 5 + scotty.

I had been watching the wings/hockey longer than that, but they were really what got me following the games and checking out the competition. It's a shame their reign was cut short.

I blame the Russian Five myself. Was a huge hockey fan in Germany that had season tickets watching all home games in Berlin. I watched as much NHL coverage as I could and man, the Russian 5 was just a blast to watch.

I have to say my dad as well. I remember listening to the Wings on the radio when they were not televised and on "ON-TV" which my dad had created a descrambler for.

My dad also took me to several games at the Olympia including the final game there on December 15th, 1979.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Im alot younger then most of you guys.

So my dad/mccarty got me hooked.

RE: your sig

Why not Fenway-Rousch racing seems to be making both parties a good chunk of change!

...well, seeing that Rousch is a local owner, that would make sense, BUT I would rather see Tony Stewart finish last in every race next year before I would want to see the Wings logo on a Ford. Sorry, for me, Chevy all the way! That is why Tony is leaving Gibbs, he cannot stand driving a Toyota, plus all of his other owned cars and tracks are all sponsered by GMC/Chevy. Tony is a diehard Chevy man, and well, even though in todays world "The Big Three" don't mean much, he is true to his word. Anyway back on your subject, that would be cool to see the Wings logo on a NASCAR, but then I'd have to see it on Carl Edwards or Matt Kenseth if Rousch sponsored it, but I do believe Ilitch has contracts with GMC for advertising (in the Joe) so if Tony could land the Wings, that would be cool!

(besides, Tony already stole Office Depot away from Rousch, why not the land the Wings! :lol:)

p.s. He's already driven a Kid Rock sponsored car in the Busch (Nationawide, yech!) series for Kevin Harvick (see pic) A nice Kid Rock/Red Wings car would be the shyt!

be1wb5.jpg

I would say it's a toss-up between Stevie Y. and Federov.

When I was younger, maybe around 95-96, I remember meeting Federov at these tennis courts in Grosse Point. My cousin lived right down the street and apparently Feds was there all the time playing with his girlfriend.

I just remember thinking he was a really nice guy and I had just been getting into hockey, so I think meeting him kind of inspired me to watch and support the Wings.

Once I actually started watching, Stevie Y. instantly became my favorite player. He was young but I remember him tearing it up, and setting a great example for his team.

Ever since, been catching every game. Win, lose, rain or shine, even when we were losing REALLY s***tily... I was still a fan!

My uncle, he was an Red Wing honorary Alumni I owe alot of it to him, I worked with a couple of Alumni at his plant in Southfield MI and met alot of them in Florida at a golf outing every year held at the Orange Tree Golf Coarse in Orlando

so I owe alot to my Uncle A.E. Wisnie founder of Progressive Tool Inc. good bless you Uncle Tony and rest in peace

...Hey, I worked for Wisne Design briefly back in 1994! My UNcle is HUGE at Wisne, he started at the 8 mile building a LOOOOONG time ago and when the comapny expanded north (to the Upper) he was chosen to head up the company up there! God bless your Uncle!

...well, seeing that Rousch is a local owner, that would make sense, BUT I would rather see Tony Stewart finish last in every race next year before I would want to see the Wings logo on a Ford. Sorry, for me, Chevy all the way! That is why Tony is leaving Gibbs, he cannot stand driving a Toyota, plus all of his other owned cars and tracks are all sponsered by GMC/Chevy. Tony is a diehard Chevy man, and well, even though in todays world "The Big Three" don't mean much, he is true to his word. Anyway back on your subject, that would be cool to see the Wings logo on a NASCAR, but then I'd have to see it on Carl Edwards or Matt Kenseth if Rousch sponsored it, but I do believe Ilitch has contracts with GMC for advertising (in the Joe) so if Tony could land the Wings, that would be cool!

(besides, Tony already stole Office Depot away from Rousch, why not the land the Wings! :lol:)

p.s. He's already driven a Kid Rock sponsored car in the Busch (Nationawide, yech!) series for Kevin Harvick (see pic) A nice Kid Rock/Red Wings car would be the shyt!

be1wb5.jpg

Not a Nascar fan so that whole top part went over my head to a degree, I just know Stewart is starting his own team/ownership if he partnered with the Wings ala Fenway Rousch that would be cool was all I was saying. The rest of it, I will take you word for it!!

...Hey, I worked for Wisne Design briefly back in 1994! My UNcle is HUGE at Wisne, he started at the 8 mile building a LOOOOONG time ago and when the comapny expanded north (to the Upper) he was chosen to head up the company up there! God bless your Uncle!

Thank you , I worked there from 1984 until 2001 I was located at the Freeland building in Detroit and lost my job when they closed that plant, couple of the old timers that worked at the 8mile plant were Joe Klukay Tony Romano and Nick Libbet

what was your uncles name?

Edited by DEVILSWATERBOY

Not a Nascar fan so that whole top part went over my head to a degree, I just know Stewart is starting his own team/ownership if he partnered with the Wings ala Fenway Rousch that would be cool was all I was saying. The rest of it, I will take you word for it!!

...oh, now I see! No, he is his own owner, Rousch is another owner (plus Rousch owns Fords, Tony is Chevy) so they would never partner together, unless one day, Tony actually drove for Jack Rousch's team (I just threw up in my mouth a little.) But I get your intent now, sorry for all the confusion in the last post! :lol:

...Tony is starting his own team, Stewart-Haas Racing, Tony will drive the #14 and Ryan Newman will drive the #4. Jack Rousch has his own 5 drivers...

...I do rememeber going to one of the first games at the Joe in 1979, they re-dedicated Gordie's jersey that night, for a 9 year old it was pretty cool, I went to a few games between then and 1984, but didn't really get hooked until the Probert/Kocur/Klima era...

Thank you , I worked there from 1984 until 2001 I was located at the Freeland building in Detroit and lost my job when they closed that plant, couple of the old timers that worked at the 8mile plant were Joe Klukay Tony Romano and Nick Libbet

what was your uncles name?

Brian Watson, he was at Wisne Design on the North side of Telegraph (the high(er) rise building.)

Big guy with dark hair?

here's a very recent picture of him (he used to be fat when he lived here) the youngin is my cousin, but Brian is on the right, he is about half the size he used to be, but you may recognized him. He worked there all through the 90's until the moved up north...

darrondadij0.jpg