• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kp-Wings

Devils place Vitaly Vishnevski on Waivers

Rate this topic

As per TSN:

The New Jersey Devils have placed defenceman Vitaly Vishnevski on waivers.

The 28-year old blueliner had two goals and five assists in 69 games last season.

The Devils signed Vishnevski to a three-year contract prior to last season. The Ukraine native was drafted in the first round, 5th overall in the 1998 NHL Entry draft by the Anaheim Ducks.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I always thought he was a pretty good player. I can't understand why three teams in the past two seasons have kicked him to the curb so quickly.

I always liked Vish...solid defensively, good hitter, good skater, decent puck skills.

Vishnevski was 7th in total ice time among Devils defensemen last season even though he was 4th in games played, but he was still the hit leader among their defenders and third in blocked shots. It seems that the team for whatever reason just stopped using him; he played 58 of the Devils' first 59 games but only 11 of the final 23 and was only on the ice for three games in the playoffs. I can't say I saw many Devils games, but his statistics seem to be pretty consistent across the board for last season, so it's not like he started the season great then saw a poor stretch of play and lost his job...he was actually performing better when he lost his spot than he was at the start of the year. His ice time dropped significantly as the season went on as well. So it would seem that he simply fell out of favor in New Jersey over the course of the season and went from a guy playing 18-19 minutes per game and playing every game to a guy playing 12-13 minutes per game and playing every other game. That's basically a drop from being the #4 defenseman to being the #7. No wonder they decided to waive him.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Ottawa or Kings.

Ottawa would have a beasty D core.

Phillips - Volchenkov

Gator - Vitaly

LA would be fun to with Gauthier and Vitaly, that would be a bruising combo.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Sorta nice were up against the cap... it's been a while since I've heard someone say get it done kenny. Not that I want him on the team, I just would have expected it to have been said 5 times already as in most player threads.

Ottawa or Kings.

Phillips - Volchenkov

Gator - Vitaly

I'm not going to lie, there really isn't THAT much appeal to that lineup.

Ottawa or Kings.

Phillips - Volchenkov

Gator - Vitaly

Hard hitting but they'd have the same problem as last year... no effective transition game.

Sorta nice were up against the cap... it's been a while since I've heard someone say get it done kenny. Not that I want him on the team, I just would have expected it to have been said 5 times already as in most player threads.

Yep. Kenny got it done this offseason and I think the majority of fans agree.

Ottawa or Kings.

Phillips - Volchenkov

Gator - Vitaly

Thats a downgrade -

Loose VisnOvskY get VishnEvskI.

Am I the only one that sometimes gets these 2 confused?

Thats a downgrade -

Loose VisnOvskY get VishnEvskI.

Am I the only one that sometimes gets these 2 confused?

I doubt it...but given the two players, I think they would make a wonderful defense pairing. Vishnevski's stay at home game, strong skating ability and puck skills for a defenseman of his type, and excellent physical game would make him a good complement for a speedy, offensively oriented type like Visnovsky. Might be a nightmare for announcers though.