• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

13dats

Chelios's agent confirms that 'Chelly' will re-sign

Rate this topic

The Sporting News's Craig Custance spoke to Detroit Red Wings defenceman Chris Chelios's agent, Tom Reich, and Reich confirms that Chelios will re-sign with the Red Wings shortly:

August 23, Sporting News Today: The delay in the Chris Chelios signing? Don't read anything into it, agent Tom Reich said. The Red Wings want a deal, Chelios wants to keep playing in Detroit. It's just a matter of Detroit GM Ken Holland and Chelios making it official.

"These last couple years, they've just been working it out together," Reich told Sporting News Today. "Chelly wants to be there, should be there, his family is there and his boys are hockey players in the area. He is committed to that and he's on a very special team."

According to Reich, money is rarely an issue with Chelios. Instead, playing on a winning team in an area where his family is comfortable outweighs maximizing every last penny.

"Right now, his mind is on a fifth Stanley Cup," Reich said.

And don't talk about retirement, either. He's the oldest player in the league, and oldest to ever win the Stanley Cup. But at 46, Chelios is in as good of shape as anyone in the league.

"He works like nobody I've ever seen," Reich said. "He really does want to play until he's 50."

Good news if there is still a spot for him :(. I love Cheli, but I can't see him continuing to be a majority starter on the blueline, hopefully tho.

Also, wouldn't Chelios be looking for his FOURTH cup? Once with Montreal and twice with the Red Wings is my count...

Good news if there is still a spot for him :(. I love Cheli, but I can't see him continuing to be a majority starter on the blueline, hopefully tho.

Also, wouldn't Chelios be looking for his FOURTH cup? Once with Montreal and twice with the Red Wings is my count...

Maybe he expects to win 2 more. :D

The Sporting News's Craig Custance spoke to Detroit Red Wings defenceman Chris Chelios's agent, Tom Reich, and Reich confirms that Chelios will re-sign with the Red Wings shortly:

August 23, Sporting News Today: The delay in the Chris Chelios signing? Don't read anything into it, agent Tom Reich said. The Red Wings want a deal, Chelios wants to keep playing in Detroit. It's just a matter of Detroit GM Ken Holland and Chelios making it official.

"These last couple years, they've just been working it out together," Reich told Sporting News Today. "Chelly wants to be there, should be there, his family is there and his boys are hockey players in the area. He is committed to that and he's on a very special team."

According to Reich, money is rarely an issue with Chelios. Instead, playing on a winning team in an area where his family is comfortable outweighs maximizing every last penny.

"Right now, his mind is on a fifth Stanley Cup," Reich said.

And don't talk about retirement, either. He's the oldest player in the league, and oldest to ever win the Stanley Cup. But at 46, Chelios is in as good of shape as anyone in the league.

"He works like nobody I've ever seen," Reich said. "He really does want to play until he's 50."

Groovy cool. He knows what his role is going to be assuming he's back, he's not going to play night in and night out, and he seems to be content with that given the current roster and Chelios being in his last years. I'm all for brining him back in such a role.

Great news, despite the fact that most people on LGW will ***** about it.

Yeah and it is a damn shame too, chelli is pretty damn important to the wings.

Most people focus on how many goals a player scores. none of these "Real fans" count leadership, experience to mentor younger players, how tough a player is, or anything like that.

Its not like chelli is in tremendous shape or anything. right? he isn't like the best conditioned player currently in the NHL either.

Must be Oven-chicken because he scores alot huh?

Get Real people.

I know i might be stereotypical towards users of this forums, but most of the posts i have read are bitching about former players, how we resigned a certain player, or wishing a player wasn't on the team anymore, instead of standing behind the team.

Why don't you people shut the f*** up and just enjoy the game eh? nothing you say can change reality.

anyways, Excited to see Chelli back next season. he is invaluable to the team, and a hell of a d man.

Edited by FedorovYzerman1991

Most people focus on how many goals a player scores. none of these "Real fans" count leadership, experience to mentor younger players, how tough a player is, or anything like that.

Its not like chelli is in tremendous shape or anything. right? he isn't like the best conditioned player currently in the NHL either.

Get Real people.

I know i might be stereotypical towards users of this forums, but most of the posts i have read are bitching about former players, how we resigned a certain player, or wishing a player wasn't on the team anymore, instead of standing behind the team.

Why don't you people shut the f*** up and just enjoy the game eh? nothing you say can change reality.

anyways, Excited to see Chelli back next season. he is invaluable to the team, and a hell of a d man.

A tad overblown and inappropriate. Is it true that some people on the forum have their own differing opinion on some players coming back? Yes. Which is what makes it a discussion forum instead of an agreement forum.

As far as Chelios, I am really happy to have him back but I am concerned as are many people that the Red Wings have so many great defensemen, that Cheli has fallen too low on the depth chart to play as frequently as him and some of us as fans would like.

And what you were saying about leadership: if there is any team in the league that puts extreme emphasis on leadership, its the Red Wings. Is leadership important? Yes. Are the Red Wings lacking it? Not by a long shot.

Edited by b.shanafan14

I know that it fits into the "largely unsubstantiated" category, but there seems to be some talk of Chelios going elsewhere.

link here

Could a return to Chicago be in his future?

Is there anyway he would be able to skate some games with GR, or is a two-way contract not in his options. I say this because as most readers would agree, he is a excellent leader and has very valuable information that he can share with younger players. It would be huge if he could both mentor in the Wings locker room and then days when he "needs a break" as Babs and Kenny both suggest, he could still be the 80 game warrior he thinks he still is. The pace is slower and he would be a excellent player developer for our organization. He would be able to give on ice instruction during games. It would be the best thing for the organization. Instead of having a healthy scratch, playing less then 10 minutes, and only pairing up with one rookie, he would be able to be a mentor to a whole other core of young players who would be able to learn from his puck responsibility and his 20+ seasons in which he has adapted his game to adjust to all the rule changes and the flow off the game. One last thing, imagine his legendary work ethic filling our entire locker room of young prospects some of which who are known to have a lack of conditioning and consistency. The 46 year old would encourage the youngsters with his ageless endurance to push themselves harder.

A tad overblown and inappropriate. Is it true that some people on the forum have their own differing opinion on some players coming back? Yes. Which is what makes it a discussion forum instead of an agreement forum.

As far as Chelios, I am really happy to have him back but I am concerned as are many people that the Red Wings have so many great defensemen, that Cheli has fallen too low on the depth chart to play as frequently as him and some of us as fans would like.

And what you were saying about leadership: if there is any team in the league that puts extreme emphasis on leadership, its the Red Wings. Is leadership important? Yes. Are the Red Wings lacking it? Not by a long shot.

Yeah dude, sorry for that post, i was just having a bad day so i was kinda mad when i wrote that post.

My fault..

Anyways, I still think chelios is an invaluable member of this team, and i see him doing some kind of job after retiring, be it in the coaching staff or the front office. i hate to see fans complain like that even though the player they are complaining about is important to the team.

...and we are now one step closer to pushing either Lebda or Lilja out the door. Yay! :D

You know, I'm one of the big advocates for the young players to get ice time (mainly Quincey or Ericsson), but I don't have a problem with Chelios sticking around. As a spare defenseman, he brings a good deal of depth to the lineup for a price that you'll rarely find in today's overpriced NHL.

I just hope what we seen from him during the playoffs was an injury, and not just old age catching up. He was great in the '07 playoffs, but this year he struggled. We'll see what happens I guess.

...and we are now one step closer to pushing either Lebda or Lilja out the door. Yay! :D

You know, I'm one of the big advocates for the young players to get ice time (mainly Quincey or Ericsson), but I don't have a problem with Chelios sticking around. As a spare defenseman, he brings a good deal of depth to the lineup for a price that you'll rarely find in today's overpriced NHL.

I just hope what we seen from him during the playoffs was an injury, and not just old age catching up. He was great in the '07 playoffs, but this year he struggled. We'll see what happens I guess.

Both Lebda and Lilja are good defensemen

I would rather see lilja go then lebda. Lebda is a fast tough player, and is pretty good for his age.

I see alot of potential in Bret Lebda, but Lilja is getting old and is as good as he is going to get.

Get Real people.

LOLOLOLOL thats a good one