• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
lfd250

Interesting article on Cobo & JLA

Rate this topic

I love the Joe, but I would love to see an new arena. The Joe is starting to look pretty run down. For as much as I love the place I think its time for it to go.

Renovating the Joe is not in the best interest of anyone. I mean, how far can they go with? How are they going to improve the seating quality so you actually have *gasp* legroom? How would you make the concourse bigger so everyone's not running into each other? Where would you put more bathrooms to reduce the 20 minute waiting times just to get up to the door?

The Wings need a new arena. I like certain things about the Joe, mainly that I can buy the cheapseats and still see the game, since the sightlines are great, but there are too many other problems with it. When you look at some of these new arena's (like NJ's Prudential Center, and Pittsburgh's future new arena), and compare them to the Joe, it's such a downgrade. The arena could also attribute to the much ballyhooed attendance problem that we so often here about. I mean, when you look at it, the Joe is not exactly a comfortable place to be. The seats are have legroom and are too close together, and the bathrooms are an absolute joke. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

There are places in Detroit (mainly Foxtown) that an arena would be better suited for. It'd be closer to everything, and it'd be NEW. Joe Louis is too old, and has too many problems. It's time for a new arena.

In my perfect world they would be able to purchase and raze Cobo, build a new, better Joe (keep the name!) next to the current one. Heading to the Joe on the river is just tradition, nothing like an afternoon game when its sunny out walking by the water on your way in. In the real world, I think unfortunately if they build new it will be relocated to the aforementioned Foxtown area and be named something stupid like "Some stupid product, bank, or insurance comapny" arena. <_< Oh well a fan can dream can't he?

"Some stupid product, bank, or insurance comapny" arena.

Oh you know its going to be one of these

Little Caesars Center

Bell Tire Arena

Ilitch Gardens

or my fav

Mickey Redmond Center

Here is the argument being had around the Beantown area.

The Arch Rival Yanks are getting a brand new stadium, well that means the Sox ownership is going to try to out do the yanks, that is how this thing works always has always will.

Here in lies the argument, when they switched from the old Boston Garden to the new TD BankNorth Garden the complaint is that it just isn't the same the feel, the environment, everything has changed and the opinion is that it is not for the good. As much as people complained about the seats or the concessions or whatever at the old building those complaints are now being trumped by the "It just isn't the same feel anymore" argument.

Not sure what side I am on, but I do know that the Sox ownership has recently sunk a lot of money into Fenway, the area around Fenway has really become part of the experience. The city shuts down Yawkey way and as soon as you onto Yawkey you are in the park, you can get beers and dogs whatever while still standing outside the park, it is all fenced off.

But no one wants to see Fenway go because of the reaction after the Garden went. Not saying the Wings don't need a new arena, but when it is done, will going to the games feel the same. Now if the Wings get a new building and continue to win, sure the environment will be great. But the C's(until recently) and B's both sucked and the one thing about the old garden is even if the teams sucked the environment the whole building, everything was just different.

A new arena certainly won't have the same feel as the Joe, but it's not like we're talking about Boston Garden, Olympia, the Forum, Chicago Stadium, or the Gardens here. Those were the really old buildings, the ones with the quirks and the "ghosts" and the real history. (I don't really consider the 90s "history".) If it's done correctly, a new arena could have more seats, keep the great sightlines, and have a concourse that makes the Joe's look like a ghetto back alley. They could also include a wing with bar/restaurants and stores that you don't need game tickets to get into.

Foxtown = no direct access to the people mover.

Oh no! Without the People Mover, how will we shuttle suburbanites from Oakland and Macomb counties in to see the games?! Wait...nevermind, I just remembered that the People Mover goes in a stupid circle downtown.

The only new arena I been to that had any character at all was the ACC. I get Opie's argument.

Though Nationwide is pretty decent. All the rest though are awful or in awful areas or both.

The only complaint I have about the Joe is the bathroom facilities.

If Foxtown, then no direct access to People Mover = Suckiness.

New arenas segregate people, have poor sightlines, are antiseptic, are bland and are all pretty much the same.

Basically, the only thing that differentiates them are the logos at center ice.