• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

2008 US Open

Rate this topic

If you can't get excited about this tournament, I give up. ;)

Anyone catch Blake v Young last night? Typical US Open night match, and by that I mean 5 set thriller. It was a strange, strange match. Blake should have won in straight sets but in typical Blake fashion he lost concentration, started making way too many UE's and the match when to a 5th. Young started playing really well from the 4th set onwards and although he has copped a massive amount of criticism in his short career, I was really impressed. He knows how to hit a winner, from either wing, and he is a great athlete. He's short and pretty thin and his serve is a bit weak, the second serve I'm mainly talking about, but I see no reason why he can't become a very, very good player. He has all the attributes and I get the feeling as soon as he gets a big win under his belt he'll really get going. As for Blake, sorry but I can't stand him. No tactics, no intensity, should've won in 3 but prolonged the game because he loses the plot and starts making careless errors. Safe to say I was really putting my support behind Young, disappointed he couldn't get the win.

As for Nadal, I was somewhat underwhelmed. I saw it as further evidence as to why he won't win the US Open. These courts just don't suit his game and given the struggle he had against a guy ranked in the 130's, he'll have to lift big time when it comes to facing the big guns. He did play some unebelievable shots though including a backhand whip up the line which had an insane amount of curve. I still say if Berdych is there and they are to meet he might be in trouble. But Berdych has to get there first and he's up against talented American Sam Querrey tonight which will be a great match. Being the headcase that he is, and given Querrey is in front of his home crowd, Berdych will probably lose...

Some great matches to look forward to today/tonight, the best being Haas v Gasquet.

Anyone catch Blake v Young last night? Typical US Open night match, and by that I mean 5 set thriller. It was a strange, strange match. Blake should have won in straight sets but in typical Blake fashion he lost concentration, started making way too many UE's and the match when to a 5th. Young started playing really well from the 4th set onwards and although he has copped a massive amount of criticism in his short career, I was really impressed. He knows how to hit a winner, from either wing, and he is a great athlete. He's short and pretty thin and his serve is a bit weak, the second serve I'm mainly talking about, but I see no reason why he can't become a very, very good player. He has all the attributes and I get the feeling as soon as he gets a big win under his belt he'll really get going. As for Blake, sorry but I can't stand him. No tactics, no intensity, should've won in 3 but prolonged the game because he loses the plot and starts making careless errors. Safe to say I was really putting my support behind Young, disappointed he couldn't get the win.

As for Nadal, I was somewhat underwhelmed. I saw it as further evidence as to why he won't win the US Open. These courts just don't suit his game and given the struggle he had against a guy ranked in the 130's, he'll have to lift big time when it comes to facing the big guns. He did play some unebelievable shots though including a backhand whip up the line which had an insane amount of curve. I still say if Berdych is there and they are to meet he might be in trouble. But Berdych has to get there first and he's up against talented American Sam Querrey tonight which will be a great match. Being the headcase that he is, and given Querrey is in front of his home crowd, Berdych will probably lose...

Some great matches to look forward to today/tonight, the best being Haas v Gasquet.

Watched Blake v Young a little bit,great analysis of the game.

:thumbup:

Good call on Querrey winning,I know Berdych is a hardcore Red Wings fan,so I was hoping he'd do well. Didn't see the game or the stats yet,but I bet Querrey's been serving a lot of aces again.

Haas v Gasquet are playing right now,looks like a possible 5 set thriller.

Jarkko Nieminen managed not to lose in the 1st round,I'm pleased.

He's been terrible lately.

Today I'm looking forward to seeing Safin v Spadea and maybe even Stosur v V.Williams.

Edited by FinRedWing

predictions? i'm going with djoker. if he can get palying well early i say he takes it. nadal has a fair chance. he often starts tournaments slowly, so he quasi-struggle the first round is no reason for concern. federer, i think, is the longest shot of the big three, but it's almost certain to go to one of the big three.

If an American doesn't win it, I'm really hoping Federer wins. Obviously, I'd like to see Roddick win but he's just really not at the elite level the big three are. As for Federer, the guy has had a year to forget (by his standards anyway), and he's always been the model champion, both humble and gracious. I'd love to see a Feds/Nadal rematch and have Federer take it straight sets.

Anyone catch Blake v Young last night?

Shelly and I watched it through the third set. When Blake lost the second set I said to Shelly, "watch Blake cruise in the next couple sets". Sure enough my prediction looked great when he won the next set 6-1, and then....oops. What a thriller.

down goes ivanovic to some 188th ranked what's-her-name! wow. coin's first time defeating anybody in the top 100 was in the first round of this year's us open and in the very next round she emphatically defeats the world's number one. talk about a good day.

* the women's draw just got decidedly less attractive! :ranting:

Edited by datsyukismyfriend

Really sucks that this Williams sisters match is in the quarters. I'm hoping one of them wins it all - not really anyone who can compete with them on the circuit right now - don't think Safina is up to the task...Women's draw is kind of boring this year...

Will be interesting to watch Fish tonight - although Nadal is my insurance plan to beat Federer if noone else does. Roddick as always is entertaining - it would make my tennis year if he could get through to Federer and beat him for once - but I won't get my hopes up too soon...

I'm a bit torn when it comes to the women's side.

Can't stand Williams, at all, but I want her to win. Here's my reasoning...

- Safina's a cold girl who has always been a talent but has become ridiculously consistent this year. Just don't want to see her win.

- Jankovic is a joke, always calling for the trainer, getting coaching in-game, always making excuses about her 'injuries', and getting to world #1 despite not even reaching a Slam final.

- Dementieva used to be one of my favourites and yet here I am hoping she doesn't break her drought. Might be a bit mean of me not wanting to see her claim success for the first time but I wouldn't mind seeing her go without a Slam for at least another few months. She plays her best tennis in NY and her chances are running out, she's in good form but I see Williams taking the title.

And as for the men, well Djokovic/Roddick wasn't a bad match but the drama that follolwed was more interesting. I didn't have a problem with Novak's comments and I'm certainly hoping he can beat Federer and prevent him from getting a chance to win a Slam this year. I didn't rate Nadal's chances about 10 days ago but he's making a believer out of me. He's doing what he did in Wimbledon 2006, getting better with every game to the poing where he will be very tough to beat. Looking forward to his match with Murray.

Well I think Djokovic is an *&^%$ so I'm glad the crowd booed him. I rescind my position on Federer - I root against him sometimes because it's nice to see someone else win, not because he's a jerk. Now I hope he dispatches of this Djokovic character handily - at least Roger and Raffy have some class.

Anyhow probably won't watch anymore of the men's draw. I'll root for Serena even though I was pulling for Venus in that match....

Well I think Djokovic is an *&^%$ so I'm glad the crowd booed him. I rescind my position on Federer - I root against him sometimes because it's nice to see someone else win, not because he's a jerk. Now I hope he dispatches of this Djokovic character handily - at least Roger and Raffy have some class.

Anyhow probably won't watch anymore of the men's draw. I'll root for Serena even though I was pulling for Venus in that match....

Agreed. Djokovic is an extremely talented player, but he seems kind of an ass. Even moreso when I heard about his long history of bailing on matches when he starts losing.

Am I the only one who's tired of seeing Nadal pick his ass before every point???

federer dispatches djokovic in a pretty uneventful semi. i have to admit, i thought novak would roll over rog. but fed looked almost like the rog of ole and djoker almost looked disinterested. definitely not novak's best on display today but it was great to see federer defeat one of his demons. i'm really hoping he can carry this momentum into the final and get back on track to securing g.o.a.t. status. it's nice to see glimpses of his old form surfacing.

meanwhile murray's up two sets to nil but down a break in the third. if he makes the final he's definitely a threat. this guy is quickly becoming one of the elite. i'm not counting nadal out yet, however, and i'm hoping for the wimby rematch.

Agreed. Djokovic is an extremely talented player, but he seems kind of an ass. Even moreso when I heard about his long history of bailing on matches when he starts losing.

Am I the only one who's tired of seeing Nadal pick his ass before every point???

That, his freakishly mismatched arms, and his long shorts are part of why I can't stand Nadal. But yeah it's mostly the groping himself that I can't stand. Don't play tennis in a thong you dumbass!

That, his freakishly mismatched arms, and his long shorts are part of why I can't stand Nadal. But yeah it's mostly the groping himself that I can't stand. Don't play tennis in a thong you dumbass!

Not only that, but think about his opponents that have to shake his hand after the match. Do they even realize how bad of a stink-palm they're getting?

BTW, absolutely thrilled to see Federer win the Open!

Not only that, but think about his opponents that have to shake his hand after the match. Do they even realize how bad of a stink-palm they're getting?

BTW, absolutely thrilled to see Federer win the Open!

I was pulling for Murray, just because he was the underdog.

I get tired of watching Federer dominate, which is why I don't mind Nadal (minus the butt-picking). Though if there's gonna be a guy who dominates the sport, you couldn't ask for a more gracious champion.

I get tired of watching Federer dominate, which is why I don't mind Nadal (minus the butt-picking). Though if there's gonna be a guy who dominates the sport, you couldn't ask for a more gracious champion.

Didn't look from the score like a very competitive match (?). WTF playing the US Open men's final on Monday afternoon??? :blink: I know they got rained out one day - but here's a thought - most people are at work on Mon afternoon - how about Monday evening?? Who cares about Mon night football - it was on espn anyways - and I would much rather have watched the Open!

Oh well, see you all in January for the Aussie...

^ This

The guy has been nothing short of the most humble champion in sports. When he clearly dominates anyone in his path and then talks about how he has to raise his game (which he usually didn't have to) to stay on top, it shows how great of a person he is.

It's funny actually, I used to always want to see Roddick beat Federer but it never seemed to happen. Instead, Federer would just cruise to win most majors. Now that he's had an off season (by his standards) I find myself rallying behind him and cheering for him (once Roddick is out that is) simply because of how great of person and champion he is. I think a lot of other people are as well because of his humility throughout his dominance. Murray will have his time, but I'm glad Federer got this one.

Didn't look from the score like a very competitive match (?). WTF playing the US Open men's final on Monday afternoon??? :blink: I know they got rained out one day - but here's a thought - most people are at work on Mon afternoon - how about Monday evening?? Who cares about Mon night football - it was on espn anyways - and I would much rather have watched the Open!

Oh well, see you all in January for the Aussie...

Indeed, and I'll be going once again!

As for the US Open, well I lost interest in the women's side after Ana was knocked out early and my hopes were dashed when Nadal and Djokovic both crashed out in the Semi's. Plus Hewitt didn't play, so on the whole it was a very disappointing Slam for myself, especially given Federer won.