• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Babcock speaks about line combos

Rate this topic

For some reason I seem to recall Sammy on the 2nd pp more than Stuart????

I could be wrong though.

No he didn't.....as I said, the second defensive unit predominantly featured Kronwall alongside Sammy. The numbers even show that:

Playoffs

Kronwall PP TOI: 64:17

Sammy PP TOI: 56:43

Stuart PP TOI: 13:51

Sidenote: NN was referring to the guys up front more so than the backend. He even stated in his post that the only individual this would affect would be Sammy since he might be gassed if his line followed the 2nd PP unit.

Alright hockey nerds, I should have known not to post on here without serious research. Could you show me the PP TOI for the finals? I will admit that I was just running the the finals games in my head. I am not the avid Sammy hater that you find on here, but I admit that I do try to block out Sammy's play some times.

egroen,

The only thing that is a little deceiving about that post is that Babs expects everyone on all 4 lines to focus on D, that may be why Huds ends up on the 4th line so much (not that the 4th line doesn't play d, but they have a lot less minutes).

What made this team a champion was every forwards commitment to defense, Huds will still have to focus on his own end a lot especially with increased minutes.

Hudler is a Selke winner compared to Holmstrom who happens to be sitting pretty on the 1st line.

Alright hockey nerds, I should have known not to post on here without serious research. Could you show me the PP TOI for the finals? I will admit that I was just running the the finals games in my head. I am not the avid Sammy hater that you find on here, but I admit that I do try to block out Sammy's play some times.

Stuart had 4:47 of PP time in the Finals compared to Sammy's 17:13. And 3:01 of Brad's PP time came in game 2.

Game 1 - :58 - 2:16

Game 2 - 3:01 - 3:40

Game 3 - :01 - 4:30

Game 4 - :21 - 1:55

Game 5 - :11 - 3:41

Game 6 - :15 - 1:11

It's not about having done serious research, its about responding to comments/claims as if you know they are incorrect when they in fact were correct in the first place. I happen to watch quite a bit of hockey and generally if I post about which players are playing what positions/times I'm not just pulling it out of my ass.

Hudler is a Selke winner compared to Holmstrom who happens to be sitting pretty on the 1st line.

I'm not saying Huds can't do it, but the original post I made was referencing some one saying he could focus on offense, in this system he will need to focus on D no matter where he is.

I'm not saying Huds can't do it, but the original post I made was referencing some one saying he could focus on offense, in this system he will need to focus on D no matter where he is.

You are right... there is no way Hudler is going to be cherry-picking like a Bure out there.

Here's one thing that excites and yet worries me: If Hudler and Franzen play a lot of time on the second line with Zetterberg, I would assume they have great numbers this year. Which may end up meaning the Wings can't afford them since it happens to be their contract years.

Kronwall - 22:28

Sammy - 17:13

Stuart - 4:47

You are right... there is no way Hudler is going to be cherry-picking like a Bure out there.

Here's one thing that excites and yet worries me: If Hudler and Franzen play a lot of time on the second line with Zetterberg, I would assume they have great numbers this year. Which may end up meaning the Wings can't afford them since it happens to be their contract years.

Same here, if Franzen goes on a tear with Z, that will be big bucks for both next year.

The other thought I had, because one personality keeps the other in check, is that maybe Franzen sees the benefit between playing with a guy like Z as opposed to Fil. Not a dig on Fil, but most centers Franzen would be paired with on other teams would be very similar to Fil, no where near the category of Z. Maybe that makes Mule want to stay at a discount.

But the 3rd personality kicks in and says if Mule wants that much money where it handcuffs the Wings, that frees up money to potentially land Hossa and Hossa >> MULE!!

Stolen from Fugu over at HFBoards:

According to Craig Custance at the Sporting News, Babs thinks he'll start Hossa with Dats. Some interesting combos though for the top 3 lines:

Hossa-Datsyuk-Homer

Hudler-Z-Franzen

Cleary-Filppula-Sammy

It is obvious that Babs has a definite philosophy about what makes for a strong line:

1) a gritty player that is not afraid to go to the net or work in the corners: Homer, Franzen, Cleary

2) a fast, shifty playmaker who has great moves can score, assist, or help the D: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula

3) a sniper who can score goals (or at least generate shots on goal): Hossa, Hudler, Sammy (Sammy? :blink: Well he does shoot...)

With three strong lines, he can distribute ice time, roll the lines, not tire anyone out unnecessarily, and create matchup nightmares for opposing teams.

The big question mark is chemistry. These line combos might stick... or they might not. There will definitely be some juggling as time goes by. This is maybe where the loss of Bowman hurts. He is the kind of guy that can envision what does and doesn't work and discuss it with Babcock.

It's not about having done serious research, its about responding to comments/claims as if you know they are incorrect when they in fact were correct in the first place. I happen to watch quite a bit of hockey and generally if I post about which players are playing what positions/times I'm not just pulling it out of my ass.

NFM, I meant that as a compliment, just trying to be funny. I am sure you know much more about the Wings than I do. I admit I was wrong about the Stuart thing. I guess I would like to see Babcock put 2 defensemen on the blueline. If you can get away with a forward back there, a lot of times it helps, but Kronner is offensive enough. I was just thinking about that Gold metal goal in Turin where he snuck in. Oh well. I am so excited to watch Wings games this year. I wish I wasn't a poor grad student and could afford Center Ice.

NFM, I meant that as a compliment, just trying to be funny. I am sure you know much more about the Wings than I do. I admit I was wrong about the Stuart thing. I guess I would like to see Babcock put 2 defensemen on the blueline. If you can get away with a forward back there, a lot of times it helps, but Kronner is offensive enough. I was just thinking about that Gold metal goal in Turin where he snuck in. Oh well. I am so excited to watch Wings games this year. I wish I wasn't a poor grad student and could afford Center Ice.

No worries T. The thing is though, Sammy is beyond defensively responsible and having a RH and a LH shot on the backend of the second PP unit helps move things around and create chances. You don't get that with Kronner playing alongside another LH shot. You're correct in saying that Kronner is an offensive Dman (and he showed it in the playoffs), so why wouldn't you want a partner alongside him that can allow him to maximize that offensive potential on the PP? Sammy can offer that, Stuart can't.

Babs sure knows what he is doing! Hudler was just awesome in the playoffs, and I think that will give him the confidence to play a regular second line role this year. Dats pairing with Hossa is just dynamite, and Franzen does play his best when alongside Zetterberg. If injuries dont take a role (knocks on wood) We will be seeing a exciting season ahead of us.

I don't like Rex on the second line. It's not because I don't think he can score.

I really think that Flip is the guy you want in that slot. Rex seems to do better with less pressure. The third line suits Rex better.

With how Babs has Hossa, Pav, and Hank, I think he has no option but to put Rex on the second line in order to keep things balanced.

But then again, I'm not getting paid millions of dollars every year to decide these things.

I don't like Rex on the second line. It's not because I don't think he can score.

I really think that Flip is the guy you want in that slot. Rex seems to do better with less pressure. The third line suits Rex better.

With how Babs has Hossa, Pav, and Hank, I think he has no option but to put Rex on the second line in order to keep things balanced.

But then again, I'm not getting paid millions of dollars every year to decide these things.

Putting Hudler on the second line not only helps balance things out, it makes that line much more potent. Hudler and Z both have great instincts and Franzen is starting to show up Holmstrom in front of the net. Having Hudler play with Z will open things up way more than Filppula playing with Z and then you've got Franzen creating havoc in front of the net. That second line is much scarier with Huds on it than it would be with Filppula.

Hmm... down the middle - Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Draper... Will the Red Wings even have to play defence? They'll always have the puck!

Yes. Please see Pittsburgh Penguins Stanley cup finals last season..... ;)

Edited by CdnWingsFanEh

Putting Hudler on the second line not only helps balance things out, it makes that line much more potent. Hudler and Z both have great instincts and Franzen is starting to show up Holmstrom in front of the net. Having Hudler play with Z will open things up way more than Filppula playing with Z and then you've got Franzen creating havoc in front of the net. That second line is much scarier with Huds on it than it would be with Filppula.

Agreed!

Yeah I like the line combinations, I was wondering what Babs was going to do with Hossa and I always thought he should be with Datsyuk, Hossa has one of the quickest releases in the league, it is lethal and I can't wait to see him just take phantom passes from Dats and bury them in the back of the net. Does anyone remember a sniper named Brett Hull who also had a wicked release; that was also consistently getting insane passes from Dats, when Dats had just come into the league. The points will be flowing I can assure you of that.

One side note, I have been very interested in the signing Finnish Elite League player, and one of the leagues top-scorers, Ville Leino, he has some skill from what I can dig up, where does he fit into this picture, when our roster is busting at the seams with talent. Would another Finn, playing on a third line with Fil, be good for Fil?

Hossa-Datsyuk-Homer

Hudler-Z-Franzen

Cleary-Filppula-Sammy

I think they are great lines, ecspecially if Drapes and Malts line is alternated with D Mac and Helm.

But i will miss seeing Pav and Z on the same line. you cannot split them up. that sucks, and they made each other produce. i think it should be

Z-Dats-Hossa (or homer)

Cleary-Franzen-Hossa (or Homer)

Hudler- Flip-Sammy

Draper-Maltby- Mac (switching around with helm)

red wings lead the pp this year with an astonishing 98%...the 2% is from the 14 second overlapping pp's and the end of game pp's, we'll also lead the league with 97 SH goals :)

starting lineup for the allstar game. western conference:

z, dats, Hossa, lids, rafalski and osgood :)

think i am gonna freeze myself in the freezer for 3 weeks cause i can not wait for the season to start

Surprised everyone is for splitting up Datsyuk and Zetterberg. I think they have the best chemistry together of any pair in the N.H.L. Holmstrom is a perfect compliment for those two. Why break up a line you just won the cup with. Put Hossa with Filppula and Franzen.

Besides, even with Hudler on the 2nd line he'll be used more like Holmstrom than like anyone else. He'll get 11-13 minutes ES and 2-4 on the PP. The Red Wings don't have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines in the classic sense. Every game will be different based on matchups.

Reading this thread is making me as giddy as a school girl!

I am so excited to see the season start!

I haven't been so excited to see a wings execute like this since 2002!

I really really think that we need to rethink this whole Samuelsson thing!

Maybe so.

But Flip is miles ahead of Rex as far as development. You have a huge opportunity to instill a ton of confidence in Flip by placing him in a scoring situation when he isn't the guy teams are focusing on.

Rex on the other hand, IMHO, would benefit more from being in that third line scorer spot. He'd be the most offensively talented guy on the line, and would get a lot more opportunities to shoot the puck. And there is no denying his shot, it's terrific.

Any way you slice it, the Wings are going to have a sick lineup this season.

Just for a second, sit back, and look at it. Wow.