• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

haroldsnepsts

Wings agree to 1-year deal with Chelios

Rate this topic

As much as Cheli downplayed it, he was too injured to keep up. Now that his knee is scoped (the same procedure that allowed him to keep trucking the last 5 years) he'll be fine for this year at least.

46 years old + an injured knee is a bad combo to keep up even on a 3rd pairing.

And Chelios has repeatedly stated that that knee is never going to get any better. Especially at his age. He's simply gotten to the point where he can't overcome his limitations. He doesn't win a single physical battle anymore. He doesn't win any foot races (even the really short ones) anymore. He doesn't have the time to put the puck where he wants to anymore. He knows exactly what he should be doing, but his body simply won't let him.

He should get out while he can still walk.

And Chelios has repeatedly stated that that knee is never going to get any better. Especially at his age. He's simply gotten to the point where he can't overcome his limitations. He doesn't win a single physical battle anymore. He doesn't win any foot races (even the really short ones) anymore. He doesn't have the time to put the puck where he wants to anymore. He knows exactly what he should be doing, but his body simply won't let him.

That's pretty much how I feel. Much like Yzerman in his final seasons, the main reason Chelios can even survive out there is because of his hockey smarts.

Even with the surgery, I don't see him improving out there. Since he's about to get signed though, I'd love to be wrong.

Just something I rememebered from just after picking up Hossa, interview with Babcock. Majority is of course about Hossa, but he once again says he expects Ericsson to play "big-time" minutes next season. Take it as you will....

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/07/ba...om_about_h.html

And he's still better in a limited role consisting of mostly minutes on the PK than Quincey or Meech. Odds are that even though Chelios is signed, Meech and Quincey will each play at least 40 games each.

Sweet. Love Chelios, and he is not as bad as people are saying, one injury riddled playoff where he wasnt even that bad anyways, doesnt mean anything.

Also good to know Lilja's probably gone, I dont know why people are up in arms about his PK ability and shot blocking. These are traits you learn, let Quincey learn how to do it in training camp and by mid season people will be saying how good he is at it.

Cheli was signed for two simple reasons .... depth and as a mentor to the up and coming D. He's rarely out of position and he has been paired with the younger D the last few years in order to help them develop.

no disrespect to chelios, but this whole 'we need to keep him around for leadership' is really overrated. you have a 15 year veteran back there in lidstrom who has been the best dman in the league for a decade. i think the leadership angle is covered. its a team of veterans, i really think leadership is the least of their worries.

a lot of people need to really go back and look at chelios's play. he's slowing down each year. but i guess if you guys think its better wait till he really is awful out there to make a move, then so be it.

no disrespect to chelios, but this whole 'we need to keep him around for leadership' is really overrated. you have a 15 year veteran back there in lidstrom who has been the best dman in the league for a decade. i think the leadership angle is covered. its a team of veterans, i really think leadership is the least of their worries.

a lot of people need to really go back and look at chelios's play. he's slowing down each year. but i guess if you guys think its better wait till he really is awful out there to make a move, then so be it.

He played effectively for the minutes he was given in the 2 and a half rounds of the playoffs this past season. His worst game, and only real mistake, was the Dallas game that he left someone open to score (game 5 I think).

Regardless, I don't see why you or anyone else should have a problem with him coming back at his salary.

give the old man a break. he is one of the best steals in the leauge. i read people bashing cheli, i have heard people rip on him. i love the guy, im stoked he is a wing. and im even more stoked he is on the team so you a-holes can jerk each other off talking about what a waste of money he is. the red wings don't waste too much money now-a-days. cheli is a good buy, and he is a good guy, and he loves the team. besides he makes the young ones feel like they need to play catch-up with the 46 yr. old...right.

Sweet. Love Chelios, and he is not as bad as people are saying, one injury riddled playoff where he wasnt even that bad anyways, doesnt mean anything.

Also good to know Lilja's probably gone, I dont know why people are up in arms about his PK ability and shot blocking. These are traits you learn, let Quincey learn how to do it in training camp and by mid season people will be saying how good he is at it.

You don't "learn" shot blocking any more than you learn "hands". You either have it or you don't otherwise every single defenseman out there would be an elite shot-blocker and that just isn't the case.. Lilly was a soccer goalie growing up. The "get in front of whatever it is flying toward you" mentality is very deeply ingrained. It's second nature to him. Q might be a natural as well, but there's no way in hell he goes from a non-shot blocker to better than Lilly in half a season. It just doesn't work like that. You may as well say "let Downey work on his deking skills and by mid season they'll be comparing him to Datsyuk" and we all know how likely that is.

You don't "learn" shot blocking any more than you learn "hands". You either have it or you don't otherwise every single defenseman out there would be an elite shot-blocker and that just isn't the case.. Lilly was a soccer goalie growing up. The "get in front of whatever it is flying toward you" mentality is very deeply ingrained. It's second nature to him. Q might be a natural as well, but there's no way in hell he goes from a non-shot blocker to better than Lilly in half a season. It just doesn't work like that. You may as well say "let Downey work on his deking skills and by mid season they'll be comparing him to Datsyuk" and we all know how likely that is.

Datsyuk learnt shot-blocking.

Last season he wasn't standing there covering his face and junk like before.

I can't believe you just compared shot-blocking to natural stick-handling ability.

Edited by Doggy

... and when he does, it's typically with a 2-minute penalty.

all the chelios bashers need to get a life. the guy is old but he's a great mentor for the young d-men. the guy is 46 and trains better then lebda and lilja. plus lilja and lebda plain and simply suck. chelios can still outplay the both of them. the ones who complain about chelios i think are pittsburgh fans acting like wings fans. they are still mad we won the cup.

He played effectively for the minutes he was given in the 2 and a half rounds of the playoffs this past season. His worst game, and only real mistake, was the Dallas game that he left someone open to score (game 5 I think).

Regardless, I don't see why you or anyone else should have a problem with him coming back at his salary.

Because he could be paid around $800,000 to play half a season as a bottom pairing defenseman, and we're not exactly hurting for defenseman.

And I think people are oversimplifying shot-blocking ability. Winning faceoffs is a learned skill too. Draper is a monster at them. Why doesn't he teach the rest of the team so the Wings would all be great at it? The fact that it's a learned skill doesn't mean everyone can learn and be good at it.

Blocking shots takes positioning, timing so you don't get caught out of position, and toughness. If it were a simple skill to pick up, every defenseman trying to crack the lineup would already know how to do it.

I don't have a problem with Cheli, I do think he would be better suited as training manager tho. Could you imagine the teams stamina if Cheli got a hold of them. we'd only need 2 lines lol. Seriously tho, I don't have a problem with Cheli or any other player we have. I figure Kenny knows what he's doing. He's done a pretty darn good job so far.

all the chelios bashers need to get a life. the guy is old but he's a great mentor for the young d-men. the guy is 46 and trains better then lebda and lilja. plus lilja and lebda plain and simply suck. chelios can still outplay the both of them. the ones who complain about chelios i think are pittsburgh fans acting like wings fans. they are still mad we won the cup.

So we need to get a life because we feel its only time to move on from Chelios....WTF?!?! And if he could outplay Lilja and Lebda at this stage, then why the flying f**k was he not dressed in the finals, and why the f**k would Kenny re-sign Lilja if he plain sucked....You must be 10...maybe 11

So we need to get a life because we feel its only time to move on from Chelios....WTF?!?! And if he could outplay Lilja and Lebda at this stage, then why the flying f**k was he not dressed in the finals, and why the f**k would Kenny re-sign Lilja if he plain sucked....You must be 10...maybe 11

Because he was hampered by a lingering knee injury in which he had surgery in the offseason on that knee, but no that couldn't be a possibility it must be that he is old and can't hack it.

I will admit he had a less than great post season, but the one glaring mistake is overtaking his above average play the rest of the time. People get hung up on the Dallas Game 5 (I think) line change gaffe that he made, just like they got hung up on the Lilja give away. Sure it was a big mistake that cost the Wings a game, BUT, it is not like every time he was on the ice he was making those plays.

Is he the fastest guy, NO, is he the most Skilled, NO, can he get the job done on the PK, YES, for most of the 07-08 reg. season and Playoffs was he dependable, YES.

I can not wait for the reg season so that every week it can be a different player who needs to step up or be benched or retire or be traded for a bag of pucks. Last year it was Lids, Dats, Kronwall, Cleary, Sammy, Ralf, Z, everyone except for Draper, that is the only person that this board didn't try to vilify, crucify or deep fry last season.

Root for the logo not for or against the name on the back, trust me it will make the experience a lot less painful and a lot less stressful.

Chelios is only 6 years removed from narrowly losing out on the Norris to Lidstrom. In the '07 playoffs he was called upon big-time and came through huge. He is one of the top-ten defensemen of all time and is in better shape than many NHLers half his age, and has just as much, if not more competitie drive to win.

He had an injury at the end of last season and did not look so hot afterwards. I think it is ok to give him the benefit of the doubt here and let him prove himself this season.

ok but im not going against the name on the back, im just stating its time to move on....That doesn't make me any less of a fan, I just simply want other players to take his role on the team. I have nothing against Chelios, I just don't see much positive of him staying, and TBH I think Wings would be perfectly fine without him. He is past his prime obvouisly, and he is only gonna get worse as each season goes by.

My only concern with this signing is the cap hit.

We do have too many defensemen and I wish they could all stay and contribute. Alas that can't happen. Meech and Quincey will probably have better value than Lilja and Lebda, so one of them will probably go, although Meech is still only an RFA.

All five of them will be serviceable depth.

On a side note, why the heck are we mistreating each other so intensely? Can't we debate a topic without accusing the other of being a foolish child, or worse, a Penguins fan?

Yeah, but can Quincey do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUUAVuO9wKo

Edited by GMRwings1983

You have no clue. You act as if he is the only one on D with experience. Also Chelios at this stage in his career can NOT outplay Lilja and Lebda.