• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Question for everybody regarding Hossa

Rate this topic

Let's say he plays great for the whole season and is one of the many factors which lead us to another Stanley Cup this upcoming year... would you be ok if he left to go and get that mega contract from another team? I'd be perfectly fine with it... only if we win it this year lol

It could be just a 1 and done deal with the Wings and Hossa if the Wings happen to repeat. It's realistic to expect it as the Wings only signed him to a 1-year deal and it's been known that he might not be in the plans due to Salary Cap, wanting to sign Zetterberg and Franzen, etc. etc.

I'd obviously love for Hossa to stay long-term, but I won't be too surprised if he doesn't, and probably not upset or bitter if he leaves after this season.

I dont see them breaking the bank for Franzen's contract. In a perfect world if they win the cup maybe datsyuk, zetterberg, and a few other vet's defer money too keep Hossa, and Hossa defer's some himself. Thats the only way I can see him staying.

I dont see them breaking the bank for Franzen's contract. In a perfect world if they win the cup maybe datsyuk, zetterberg, and a few other vet's defer money too keep Hossa, and Hossa defer's some himself. Thats the only way I can see him staying.

I think it all depends on how he produces this season. If he keeps being as effective as he was during the last part of the season last year and throughout the playoffs. They'll pretty much be forced to sign him to a rather healthy contract.

Edited by Elshupacabra

Unless by "defer" you mean "accept less" until a later contract, it won't work.

I love Zetterberg and don't know too much about Hossa yet..

What I'm wondering is, to which degree Hossa could challenge Z's resigning of next year..

to speak out more straightly: What happens if Hossa is just more productive and the better player this season !??

..I'm not thaaat worried this will happen, though ;)

What I'm wondering is, to which degree Hossa could challenge Z's resigning of next year..

to speak out more straightly: What happens if Hossa is just more productive and the better player this season !??

Z is top on kenny's list, he'll be done way before UFA singings

Hossa could score 50 goals and 120 points this year and he still wouldn't be re-signed over Zetterberg if it came down to choosing between them.

To answer the question at hand, I have no problem with it. He made his intentions known when signing here. Hes not necessarily looking for a home, hes looking for a Cup. And I think it would be selfish to be upset with him if he does win the cup and then bolts for a bigger contract. Its not like Hossa is the only one benefitting from coming to the Wings. The Wings are benefitting just as much in return - more entertainment for their fans, more talent, more depth, a better chance to win the cup, and all at a discounted price.

Basically if Hossa isnt willing to take significantly less time and money to come here, we arent even having this conversation..

when a player come to detroit to win a cup, and they don't hold there own (luke robitaille) i look at them as a disappointing joke. if he does great as a wing, and they win...he can go and i will still like him. hopefully he would sign to a stinker like phoenix though. it would be nice to see him as a wing for a good chunk of his carrier. he could make a splash in red wing hockey history

If Hossa helps this team achieve our goal of back-to-back Cups, I will feel absolutely no hard feelings. As Holland said, he made this deal happen by taking less on a 1 year deal. It gives a great oppurtunity for our team in the salary cap era before several contracts are up in the air next season.

It could be just a 1 and done deal with the Wings and Hossa if the Wings happen to repeat. It's realistic to expect it as the Wings only signed him to a 1-year deal and it's been known that he might not be in the plans due to Salary Cap, wanting to sign Zetterberg and Franzen, etc. etc.

I'd obviously love for Hossa to stay long-term, but I won't be too surprised if he doesn't, and probably not upset or bitter if he leaves after this season.

sorry i have to swing off topic and say............c'mon BIG BUCKS....no WHAMMIES!!!!! :thumbup:

I'd be fine with it because he owes the Red Wings nothing. I wouldn't want to see it obviously because if he's successful with the Wings I'd want to see him stick around. However, the guy will have filled his contractual obligation and when it comes down to it, he'll owe the Red Wings nothing. He's the one that took the paycut to be here for this year. I'm just happy we have him for the upcoming season, because 99% of the time players don't do what Marian did this offseason.

Ultimately, the Wings would need Zetterberg and Hossa to take significant discounts to be able to retain both players, even without keeping Franzen, Samuelsson, Hudler, Downey, and Kopecky around. There's only about $13.5m before any cap increase to retain all seven players. Given that both Zetterberg and Hossa are expected to make around $7m, it would be foolish to expect to keep both.

The ideal situation is that Zetterberg and Hossa sign long-term for a largely discounted deal around $4m each, Franzen and Hudler both sign long-term for around $2m each, and then Sammy, Downey, and Kopecky are either signed or replaced close to league minimum. More likely is that Hossa is gone, the cap space is still used up on the same players, except Helm, McGrath, or someone else is on the roster instead.

Guest mindfly
Ultimately, the Wings would need Zetterberg and Hossa to take significant discounts to be able to retain both players, even without keeping Franzen, Samuelsson, Hudler, Downey, and Kopecky around. There's only about $13.5m before any cap increase to retain all seven players. Given that both Zetterberg and Hossa are expected to make around $7m, it would be foolish to expect to keep both.

The ideal situation is that Zetterberg and Hossa sign long-term for a largely discounted deal around $4m each, Franzen and Hudler both sign long-term for around $2m each, and then Sammy, Downey, and Kopecky are either signed or replaced close to league minimum. More likely is that Hossa is gone, the cap space is still used up on the same players, except Helm, McGrath, or someone else is on the roster instead.

I agree... and 4M$ a year ain't bad at all, they can buy most stuff and live a good wealthy life.... + they will play for the best team in the world...

I wouldn't even consider this the "ideal situation" because it goes beyond plausible.

I wouldn't even consider this the "ideal situation" because it goes beyond plausible.

That's what most would have said about Hossa signing here in the first place. That's why it's called IDEAL.

It's like the men's 4x100m relay at the Olympics. The Americans overcame an 'insurmountable' lead held by the French team and FIVE teams broke the world record. It happened, but the true story went beyond what would have been considered 'plausible' as a prediction.

I expect Hossa to be gone after this season...but it's possible that he isn't. Likelihood suggests that one, possibly both, of Franzen and Hudler are gone if Hossa stays though. Hence the 'ideal' of being able to retain them all.

That's what most would have said about Hossa signing here in the first place. That's why it's called IDEAL.

It's like the men's 4x100m relay at the Olympics. The Americans overcame an 'insurmountable' lead held by the French team and FIVE teams broke the world record. It happened, but the true story went beyond what would have been considered 'plausible' as a prediction.

I expect Hossa to be gone after this season...but it's possible that he isn't. Likelihood suggests that one, possibly both, of Franzen and Hudler are gone if Hossa stays though. Hence the 'ideal' of being able to retain them all.

You can call it "ideal". I'm gonna stick to what I consider reality. True, it seemed like the Wings had beyond the slimmest chance of nabbing Hossa, but Z and Marian signing for $4 and Mule for $2 doesn't even have a snowballs chance in hell of coming to fruition.

Ideal is one thing, but those numbers are the furthest thing from reality.

You can call it "ideal". I'm gonna stick to what I consider reality. True, it seemed like the Wings had beyond the slimmest chance of nabbing Hossa, but Z and Marian signing for $4 and Mule for $2 doesn't even have a snowballs chance in hell of coming to fruition.

Ideal is one thing, but those numbers are the furthest thing from reality.

Then hopefully when the Wings have to either give up Hossa or give up Franzen-plus as it gets towards net summer, people don't start acting like asses about it as that's the only solution that solves it without losing any of those players.

Then hopefully when the Wings have to either give up Hossa or give up Franzen-plus as it gets towards net summer, people don't start acting like asses about it as that's the only solution that solves it without losing any of those players.

Oh, you can bank on that. After all, freaking out is the hockey forums "way".