• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dawgs

Franzen vs. Hossa

Rate this topic

I hope they can find a way to keep all three of our big UFA's, but realisticlly Zetterberg's most likely a done deal, meaning the choice may come down to Franzen or Hossa. Alot will depend on Franzens play this season, but Im leaning towards him.

Those of you who have been saying they'd be in favor of keeping Hossa over Franzen, please explain why. Isnt Franzen, at 6-2, 223, exactly the type of power forward these boards have been screaming for Holland to get since its inception? I love Hossa's game, but the Wings have other guys that do what he does. Zetterberg scores and both he and Pavel make up two of the best defensive forwards in the game today. Theres precious little on the roster that bring what Franzen does to the table.

IMO, Franzen helps bring the balance that makes us better than everyone else.

I'd be leaning more towards keeping Franzen as well. Hossa is probably the more gifted of the two, but we have some top level scoring forwards in guys like Hank and Pav. I think Franzen brings an edge that not many other guys on this team have, outside of maybe Mac and Downey.

My immediate reaction is keep Franzen. Hossa is the better player of the two at the moment, but he'll have to buy into the Red Wings program if he wants to stay. I do think Franzen is nice mix of Hank and Homer, which is refreshing and if his goal scoring and overall skill (Game 3 of the Finals goal) wasn't a rare fluky couple months where he became some hockey savant, I would love him to be a career Wing. I think Holland has already expressed wanting to sign Hank and Mule first because of the "home grown" factor. But then again, I am biased as of now because Mule helped us molest the Avs/win the cup, I'm sure in a month my "OMG HOSSA" syndrome will be in critical stages and I'll be screaming for him to sign as top priority, but until that happens, Hank, MULE, Hossa.

If we can keep Hossa and only lose Franzen, the choice is Hossa. Hossa is better offensively, better defensively, and while he may not be a big bruising forward, he's pretty strong and able to use it.

If it ultimately comes down to 'Hossa or Franzen' as the choice...anyone who doesn't choose Hossa is an idiot, a homer, or both.

If we can keep Hossa and only lose Franzen, the choice is Hossa. Hossa is better offensively, better defensively, and while he may not be a big bruising forward, he's pretty strong and able to use it.

If it ultimately comes down to 'Hossa or Franzen' as the choice...anyone who doesn't choose Hossa is an idiot, a homer, or both.

In an uncapped world, yes, but in a capped world I'd take Franzen. For this season I'll take both!

In an uncapped world, yes, but in a capped world I'd take Franzen. For this season I'll take both!

Why would the existence of a cap make the players' abilities different?

If the existence of a cap changed ANYTHING, it would make it 'Hossa v Franzen+Hudler' or something like that...hence my point about it coming down to Hossa/Franzen. If it comes down to a Hossa/Franzen choice UNDER THE CAP, anyone who chooses to keep Franzen over Hossa is an idiot.

Just for reference everyone....you realize they're basically the same age, right?

An idiot because they don't agree with you? Nice...

You can't compare the 2 guys. Mule is a power forward that will command maybe 3 mil unless he has a spectacular season then it could be 3.5. Hossa is a high scoring forward who will go for at least 7.5 mil.

If you can't keep both then it's Hossa or Mule + another 4 mil player.

The choice all depends on how the 2 players play this year. Hossa has had several poor playoff performers and has been a mercinary the last 3 or 4 years. Being part of a team and no longer the top dog is a completely new scenario for him. He may or may not fit in.

Mule has come off a 3 month performance that if he kept it up would have earned him a nomination for the Conn Smyth. Wheter or not he continues this performance remains to be seen.

We will see but anybody that would make that decision today before all the fact are in is "an idiot, a homer, or both"

An idiot because they don't agree with you? Nice...

You can't compare the 2 guys. Mule is a power forward that will command maybe 3 mil unless he has a spectacular season then it could be 3.5. Hossa is a high scoring forward who will go for at least 7.5 mil.

If you can't keep both then it's Hossa or Mule + another 4 mil player.

The choice all depends on how the 2 players play this year. Hossa has had several poor playoff performers and has been a mercinary the last 3 or 4 years. Being part of a team and no longer the top dog is a completely new scenario for him. He may or may not fit in.

Mule has come off a 3 month performance that if he kept it up would have earned him a nomination for the Conn Smyth. Wheter or not he continues this performance remains to be seen.

We will see but anybody that would make that decision today before all the fact are in is "an idiot, a homer, or both"

Ouch.

Let's see, Hossa has played for how many teams? To me it's about loyalty, Mule hasn't said pay me this or I'm out of here.

Franzen has never been in that situation to begin with. Mule has been loyal because he hasn't had the choice or the chance of leaving yet.

I think that is a beyond silly argument, if that's the basis of which player you are choosing. Hossa chose to play for the Red Wings for far less money and far fewer years than he easily would have gotten elsewhere as a free agent. How many players in their prime would give up a massive contract because they want to win above all else?

If we can only keep one, I'm picking Hossa every single time. It's not even close.

And Hossa totally has. Even more so, his decision to come to the wings show how massively he only cares about money.

:clap: Exactly. Hossa has been traded both times he left a team (Ottawa and Atlanta). It has nothing to do with money for Hossa whatsoever. If Hossa truly cared about money/long-term security, he would be an Edmonton Oiler right now.

It's silly to say Franzen has been loyal when he hasn't even reached the point where he could potentially leave the Red Wings as a free agent. I really like Mule, but he is nowhere near the level of Marian Hossa.

If the existence of a cap changed ANYTHING, it would make it 'Hossa v Franzen+Hudler' or something like that...hence my point about it coming down to Hossa/Franzen. If it comes down to a Hossa/Franzen choice UNDER THE CAP, anyone who chooses to keep Franzen over Hossa is an idiot.

Just for reference everyone....you realize they're basically the same age, right?

Hudler if he has a great year is maybe 2 mil. That's almost double his contract. As I said before Franzen is 3 mill maybe 3.5. 3.5 + 2 = 5.3. Hossa is 7.5 minimum. So you are NOT talking about Franzen and Hudler versus Hossa. You are talking about Franzen + Hudler + Sammy versus Hossa.

After we get part way through the season, Kenny will have to decided if Hossa is so great that he is better than Franzen, Hudler and Sammy COMBINED. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Agreed.

Hossa vs Franzen, is it really a choice? It's like asking 'Who do you think will win today, the Packers or the Lions?' Come on, let's be serious here folks.

Hossa and Franzen are nearly the same age (about a year apart).

Hossa has proven he is a consistant scoring threat. He is a sniper who is as good or better in his own end than just about any other top 6 forward in the league.

Franzen hasn't proven he can score with any regularity.

Franzen is like a poor mans Shanny.

Why settle for a cube steak when you can have some prime rib?

And before anyone starts harping about how great Franzen was in the playoffs, keep it in check. He did step his game up. But that doesn't prove anything.

A bird in hand.....

I think it would be fair to see whether or not Franzen continues his scoring streak, or if it was just a one time thing. If he's somehow able to continue his scoring from last season, it makes the decision harder.

True. You have to let the season play out.

But teams won't be focusing on Franzen like they will Hossa.

Franzen simply because my girlfriend bought me a sweet Franzen jersey with the cup patch on it.

But seriously, I'd like to say let the season play out but I really like having both homer and mule to stand in front of the net like they do and pick up those garbage goals. I could be saying something different in 10 months if Hossa has a huge year although if that happens he'll probably be commanding too much money.

Interesting topic.

I'm with the keep-Franzen-camp. Before the cap we'd want to talk to Hossa before working something out with Franzen. But the cap just won't let us have so many superstars on one team. Our best bet is to sign the superstars we care most about (Lidstrom, Hank, Dats), and sign a good number of healthy contributors below them.

Not to diss what has been said about keeping Hossa. Of course we'd naturally want the best players on our team. But it's just not cap-smart. Like when everyone was screaming about how Hollad had made so much cap space last season and didn't even use it at the trade deadline. It didn't seem like the best idea. But there was the potential that he'd tie up our money with a mediocre player and then we couldn't have signed Hossa. Sometimes you have to make counter-intuitive moves in the cap world to make your team better. And I think this is one of them. Signing Franzen over Hossa makes us a better team overall. Franzen is cheaper, allowing us to sign another player that can bring another element to our team and make us harder to play against.

All that is needed to know is every single person outside letsgowings.com says Hossa 10 out of 10 times, as do I.

Eva is completely right about being a homer when it comes to this question. Everyone here seems to think that the Wings need some "toughness" which is funny within itself because the Wings aren't that type of team one iota.

Why should it even be a question of Franzen vs. Hossa? Why not Hossa vs. Another expendable player? Franzen was valuable to us when we needed him the most.

Samuelsson vs. Hossa?

McCarty vs. Hossa?

...the only way you get both is if Hossa takes Franzen-type money (maybe a little more) other than that, you cannot keep them both. If that is the case, keep Franzen.

#1. He's IS the power forward EVERYONE has been bitching about not having (just look what he did when given top line minutes!)

#2. This is one of the rare high draft picks that have worked out for us in the last 10-15 years (or more.)

#3. You can sign him for 6-7 years at his lower salary and have room to add at trade-deadlines and UFA season.

#4. Hossa will ask for at least what Lidstrom is making (especially if he turns out huge for the team.) That'll handcuff you for the next however many years before Lidstrom retires.

...here's to hoping Hossa wants to settle in with a more than adequate salary, but if he wants more than $5MM then let him go! Franzen will cost you less in the long run and allow more wiggle room if needed after this season, Hossa will suck up whatever cap space you have and won;t allow you to even fart, let alone make that trade when needed...

...my choice, Franzen, show him some loyalty and save for our future!

edit: That is if it comes down to those two, see my next post for other options!

Edited by LeftWinger