• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FunkedUp

Red Wings brace for training camp

Rate this topic

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=249897&amp...s=headlines_nhl

School is nearly back in session for NHL teams.

The majority of training camps open Friday and there's no shortage of excitement to be found around the league. Believe it or not, there might not be any team more anxious to get back at it than the defending Stanley Cup champions.

"It's kind of like school - every kid will tell you he doesn't like school and yet every kid's dying to go because they want to see their friends," Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock told The Canadian Press in an interview. "The greatest thing about hockey besides the game is the interaction between the guys.

"I can tell you our guys are all excited."

Four teams broke camp earlier this week while a couple others will get going on Saturday.

The Red Wings and everyone else open Friday. Detroit will spend the first five days in Traverse City, Mich., before the start of its pre-season schedule.

In the past, teams reaching the Stanley Cup final were left with an extremely short summer. That isn't really the case for the Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins thanks in part to training camps starting a week later this season.

Detroit's championship team returns virtually unchanged. Additions include Marian Hossa and Ty Conklin while Dominik Hasek and Dallas Drake have gone off into retirement.

Even still, Babcock will have some decisions to make in the coming weeks because the team has a glut of players at each position who are eager to take on more of a role.

"Our camp is going to be just like normal," he said. "We're going to go there and create normalcy and we're going to have good battles for jobs."

What the Red Wings want more than anything is the chance to repeat as Stanley Cup champions.

The franchise is already the class of the current generation, with four titles in the past 11 years and a string of 17 straight seasons with a winning record. The Wings are hungry for more, too.

"With our team, we're getting prepared and we're just going to re-establish our work ethic and our structure and our foundation at training camp," said Babcock. "Our guys are pumped up and ready to go.

"A whole bunch of them said to me: `Enough of this stuff, let's get playing."'

Babcock has been thinking the same thing for quite some time.

He spent more than seven weeks at his lake home in Saskatchewan this summer and had plenty of opportunity to look to the future. Last season's championship is already far from his mind.

"The greatest thing for me is that I had the Cup in July," said Babcock. "So you got be with it, it left, and let's get on with it.

"Let's get on with trying to win it again."

Edited by FunkedUp

I'm leaving for camp this afternoon. I'm so hyper, I can't sleep. The thought of seeing the guys again and watching them live and close up is just unreal. This is the fourth time I've gone, and each time it's the same reaction. Bring it on, guys - I'm ready!

I'll be there! Look for someone wearing a Moscow Dynamo jersey...with a dog. It's most likely me. :)

And a husband, Pat. I know you're excited, but don't forget to take your husband!

I'm kidding. Have a wonderful time.