• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NeverForgetMac25

Direct TV, FSN Detroit HD Inquiry

Rate this topic

I just made the switch from Time Warner to Direct TV due to the need for the NHL Network and the continuation of FOX (which broadcasts Packers games, and will be discontinued on Time Warner Cable in Green Bay starting October 2nd due to failed negotiations). Anyway, I'm fired up to finally be getting the NHL Network, and when I looked at the Networks included in my package, low-and-behold FSN Detroit HD is one of them! You can imagine how thrilled I was, and then I got to thinking further. If I receive FSN Detroit HD, does that mean I don't need to purchase NHL Center Ice this year? For those of you that have FSN Detroit, could you tell me if you receive *ALL* the Red Wings games (both home and away) and what else I have to look forward to with that channel? Keep in mind I'm only interested in Red Wings related things on that channel as they are the only team from Michigan that I cheer for.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I just made the switch from Time Warner to Direct TV due to the need for the NHL Network and the continuation of FOX (which broadcasts Packers games, and will be discontinued on Time Warner Cable in Green Bay starting October 2nd due to failed negotiations). Anyway, I'm fired up to finally be getting the NHL Network, and when I looked at the Networks included in my package, low-and-behold FSN Detroit HD is one of them! You can imagine how thrilled I was, and then I got to thinking further. If I receive FSN Detroit HD, does that mean I don't need to purchase NHL Center Ice this year? For those of you that have FSN Detroit, could you tell me if you receive *ALL* the Red Wings games (both home and away) and what else I have to look forward to with that channel? Keep in mind I'm only interested in Red Wings related things on that channel as they are the only team from Michigan that I cheer for.

Thanks in advance for any info.

A lot of times, you can buy a sports package which will allow you to see almost all the Fox Sports Channels around America. However, as soon as a game comes in that isn't in your home area, the channel is blacked out. My guess is, you will still have to buy the Center Ice Package to see the games. I guess it depends on what area the FSN Detroit channel includes.

FSN Detroit only broadcasts home games in HD. I think only a couple of the away games were in HD last year. Hopefully/Maybe that will change this year. If you get Versus than you should be able to see every Wings game (as long as the FSN D channel comes through for games). I think the NHL Network had a couple games, but I saw it either on Versus or FSN D because I don't get the NHL Network.

Hope that helps

A lot of times, you can buy a sports package which will allow you to see almost all the Fox Sports Channels around America. However, as soon as a game comes in that isn't in your home area, the channel is blacked out. My guess is, you will still have to buy the Center Ice Package to see the games. I guess it depends on what area the FSN Detroit channel includes.

FSN Detroit only broadcasts home games in HD. I think only a couple of the away games were in HD last year. Hopefully/Maybe that will change this year. If you get Versus than you should be able to see every Wings game (as long as the FSN D channel comes through for games). I think the NHL Network had a couple games, but I saw it either on Versus or FSN D because I don't get the NHL Network.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the info. I completely forgot the out-of-market blackout. Versus is included and the NHL Network (as previously stated), but I would imagine Green Bay, WI isn't going to be in the local viewing area of FSN Detroit HD (which blows given that the channel is in HD). So if I do have to get Center Ice (which I absolutely will if the games are blacked out) does that mean I still won't get to watch it in HD?

Technically it states that Northeast Wisconsin is in the viewing area, which Green Bay, WI is. However, it then says "Northeastern Wisconsin along the Michigan border", which Green Bay is not....so again I'm not sure if I'm covered. If anyone knows, I'd greatly appreciate it?

"FSN Detroit provides local and national sports programming throughout Michigan and portions of Northwest Ohio and Northern Indiana"

-from DirecTV website

Also, to get HD on the Center Ice Package, DirecTV has this statement.

"*To access DIRECTV HD programming, a MultiSatellite dish, along with a DIRECTV HD Receiver, HD television equipment and HD Access fee ($9.99/mo.), is required. In some markets, a five-LNB dish and H20 model DIRECTV Receiver are needed to receive HD local networks delivered by DIRECTV."

If you have Fox Sports Detroit HD currently and plan on getting the Center Ice package, I would assume you would get the games in HD.

However, I'd call DirecTV to confirm that. I'd hate for you to listen to me and waste $150 on my account :D

Anyway, I'm fired up to finally be getting the NHL Network, and when I looked at the Networks included in my package, low-and-behold FSN Detroit HD is one of them! You can imagine how thrilled I was, and then I got to thinking further. If I receive FSN Detroit HD, does that mean I don't need to purchase NHL Center Ice this year?

Depends on whether you're getting FS Detroit because it's been designated as your regional sports channel, or if it's because you get all the regionals because you've got the giant sports channels package. If you're getting FS Detroit because it's your designated regional, then you should get all content on the channel because you're 'in market' there.

If you've got it because you've got an ADC (All the Darn Channels) package and they don't consider it to be your designated regional, then hockey, pro basketball, football, and baseball will be blacked out on it.

If you can't get Directv customer service to answer the question, or don't want to deal with Directv customer service (which has had bad hold times the last few times we've had issues with them) the easiest way to tell what you've got is to just wait until the first game after the usual free preview week and see if you still get the game. If you don't, it's one call to customer service to set up Center Ice, and you should be off hold and watching Da Wings again by about the first intermission. (They seem to have done away with the early subscriber/auto renewal discount, so it doesn't matter anymore if you start the package before or after the season starts)

Thanks to those that have responded. The information was very helpful. I think what I'll do is wait and see what happens with the Detroit Tigers game on Thursday. They are coming to install that morning and if the Tigers game isn't blacked out, than one would assume that I am in the FSN Detroit viewing area, and I'll get the Wings games. Now, if the Tigers game is blacked out, I can't imagine the Wings would be any different, in which case I'll purchase Center Ice Thursday afternoon already to ensure its up and ready to go by the time the season starts.

Sidenote: Selkie, I do have the ADC package as you call it :P . Now that being said, I wonder if *ALL* the games on these networks will be blacked out, thus forcing me to subscribe to Center Ice. If that's the case, I'm just gonna purchase CI as I always do. Anyway, the channel lineup incudes the following (Channels with Hockey on them are bolded):

* A&E HD

* ABC Family HD

* Altitude HD*

* Animal Planet HD

* Big Ten Network HD

* Biography Channel HD

* Bravo HD

* Cartoon Network

* Cinemax HD East

* Cinemax HD West

* CMT HD

* CNBC HD+

* CNN HD

* CSN Bay Area HD*

* CSN Chicago HD

* CSN Mid-Atlantic HD

* CSN New England HD*

* CSTV HD

* Discovery Channel HD

* Disney Channel HD

* ESPN HD

* ESPN2 HD

* ESPNews HD

* Food Network HD

* Fox Business Network HD

* FSN Arizona HD

* FSN Cincinnati HD*

* FSN Detroit HD

* FSN Florida HD*

* FSN Midwest HD

* FSN North HD

* FSN Northwest HD

* FSN Ohio HD*

* FSN Pittsburgh HD

* FSN Prime Ticket HD

* FSN Rocky Mountain HD

* FSN South HD

* FSN Southwest HD

* FSN West HD

* Fuel TV HD

* FX HD

* HBO HD East

* HBO HD West

* HD Theater

* HDNet

* HGTV-HD

* History Channel HD

* MASN HD*

* MSG HD

* MSG PLUS HD

* MTV HD

* National Geographic Channel HD

* NBA.TV HD

* NESN HD

* NFL Network HD

* NHL Network HD

* Nick HD

* Planet Green HD

* Science Channel HD

* Sci-Fi Channel HD

* Showtime HD

* Showtime Extreme HD

* Showtime Showcase HD

* Showtime HD West

* Showtime 2 HD

* SNY HD

* Speed Channel HD

* Spike HD

* SportSouth HD

* SportsTime Ohio HD*

* Starz Comedy HD

* Starz Edge HD

* Starz HD East

* Starz HD West

* Starz Kids & Family HD

* Sun Sports HD

* TBS in HD

* Tennis Channel HD

* The Movie Channel HD

* TLC HD

* TNT HD

* Toon Disney HD

* The 101 Network HD

* USA Network HD

* VERSUS HD/GOLF CHANNEL HD

* VH1 HD

* YES HD

* The Weather Channel HD

Hmmm I'm confused on this too..... I just got a new 42' LCD HDTV and I wanted to know that if I order center ice will i receive games in HD?

TBH, I don't think we will. We'll get the Versus, NHL Network and NBC games in HD, but I doubt we'll get the FSN HD games unless were in the regional area. I may be, but we'll see on Thursday when Direct TV gets installed.

I have DirecTV and last year I had the Center Ice package and the Fox posrts package (which included FSN Detroit). For all but a couple of the games, I was able to watch the Detroit broadcast on FSN Detroit (and FSN Detroit HD). Now, the question becomes, if I didn't also have the center ice package, would they have blocked the games on FSN? I haven't called to find out yet. As of now, I have the whole package because I like watching other games as well. But would be interesting to know.

Last year I had Center Ice and FSN Detroit. Every game on Center Ice had another channel right below it(for example: Wings game is on 765, then the Wings game in HD would be on 765-1.) Most games they would show on the regular FSN, but sometimes they would black it out.

I have DirecTV and last year I had the Center Ice package and the Fox posrts package (which included FSN Detroit). For all but a couple of the games, I was able to watch the Detroit broadcast on FSN Detroit (and FSN Detroit HD). Now, the question becomes, if I didn't also have the center ice package, would they have blocked the games on FSN? I haven't called to find out yet. As of now, I have the whole package because I like watching other games as well. But would be interesting to know.

Are you able to get the Detroit Tigers games on your FSN Detroit channel currently?

Last year I had Center Ice and FSN Detroit. Every game on Center Ice had another channel right below it(for example: Wings game is on 765, then the Wings game in HD would be on 765-1.) Most games they would show on the regular FSN, but sometimes they would black it out.

Are you able to get the Detroit Tigers games on your FSN Detroit channel currently?

I tried once last year and it was blacked out. I'm in college now, so I can't check again.

I tried once last year and it was blacked out. I'm in college now, so I can't check again.

See, now thats weird. I would think if you were out of market and the Tigers games were blacked out that the Red Wings would be the same. It'll be really interesting to see what happens when my service begins.

See, now thats weird. I would think if you were out of market and the Tigers games were blacked out that the Red Wings would be the same. It'll be really interesting to see what happens when my service begins.

It was weird. I can't remember a single time when a Rangers game on MSG was blacked out. I don't know why, but some channels are blacked out and others aren't.

I was thinking about getting the sports pack so I could see the Wings games in NY. This is the response I got. Seems backwards...I thought they did blackouts loacally to get people to go to the games. Obviously I can't go very often from NY. :ranting:

"Thanks for writing. I saw that you are one of our long time customers and I want you to know that we appreciate your business.

The Red Wings hockey games on FSN Detroit (channel 663) will not be available in your area.

Unfortunately, since FSN Detroit is not a regional sports network for your area, you won't have access to professional games on this channel. In accordance with blackout rules, customers who subscribe to SPORTS PACK will not receive games outside their market on these channels.

Please understand that these restrictions are placed upon us. Please visit our web site at directv.com/blackouts if you have additional questions about sports blackouts.

Moving forward, because of fans like you who have interest in viewing teams from outside of your home market, the leagues have created professional sports subscriptions such as the NBA LEAGUE PASS, MLB EXTRA INNINGS and NFL SUNDAY TICKET.

NHL CENTER ICE is available now at a special low price of $159 1-pay or 4-pay at $39.75. With this subscription, you can get dual feeds when available, so you can choose between home and away broadcasts. There’s no better way to get all the best hockey action. To find out more go to directv.com/nhl."

I use a local cable provider here, but it has been my experience/knowledge/assumption that even if you have any of the sports packages for Direct TV or Dish, professional-league games (NHL, NBA, MLB, etc.) are blacked out, regardless of where you are with the sports packages, unless you would get a regional Fox Sports or other regional sports station like normal on regular cable. If they weren't, that basically makes NHL Center Ice or NBA League Pass or MLB Extra Innings useless, so it makes sense blacking the games out. I am pretty sure though that there are no games blacked out for things like college football or hockey though since those aren't affiliated with a professional sports offering like Center Ice or League Pass obviously.

I was thinking about getting the sports pack so I could see the Wings games in NY. This is the response I got. Seems backwards...I thought they did blackouts loacally to get people to go to the games. Obviously I can't go very often from NY. :ranting:

"Thanks for writing. I saw that you are one of our long time customers and I want you to know that we appreciate your business.

The Red Wings hockey games on FSN Detroit (channel 663) will not be available in your area.

Unfortunately, since FSN Detroit is not a regional sports network for your area, you won't have access to professional games on this channel. In accordance with blackout rules, customers who subscribe to SPORTS PACK will not receive games outside their market on these channels.

Please understand that these restrictions are placed upon us. Please visit our web site at directv.com/blackouts if you have additional questions about sports blackouts.

Moving forward, because of fans like you who have interest in viewing teams from outside of your home market, the leagues have created professional sports subscriptions such as the NBA LEAGUE PASS, MLB EXTRA INNINGS and NFL SUNDAY TICKET.

NHL CENTER ICE is available now at a special low price of $159 1-pay or 4-pay at $39.75. With this subscription, you can get dual feeds when available, so you can choose between home and away broadcasts. There’s no better way to get all the best hockey action. To find out more go to directv.com/nhl."

I would debate whether the "restrictions are placed upon us (Directv)". They set up all the professional sports packages so you HAVE to pay for each one separately.

We live in Texas and have Directv, NHL Center Ice, the special dish and receiver you need for HD, PLUS the Fox Sports channels package. Directv ain't kiddin' around when they say you won't get professional sports unless they are on your specific local sports channel. We get Fox Southwest, so we get to watch the Cowboys (...yeehaa...urp...) and the Rangers (oh, heart - keep beating...). The only way we get all hockey games is through the Center Ice Package.

To the original questioner - if you get Fox Detroit as your local sports channel, your chances are great to be able to see all Detroit sports. If it's not, lotsa luck. As for the HD thing, I don't know what you'd get unless you have the special equipment.

If you are stuck paying for Center Ice in additional to regional sports, the bright side is that you get HNIC as well as some Rogers Canadian regional games, and you otherwise wouldn't get that programming unless you lived in a Ca-US border broadcast area.

I just hope we get the HNIC games in HD this year. It seems like that would be a new way to appreciate Don Cherry's wardrobe choices.