• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rdwngnut

Why do people call the Canadiens the Habs?

Rate this topic

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...P6OSnGRJJJ7xy5A

Question: Why are the Montreal Canadiens called the Habs?

Answer: Habs is an abbreviation of "les habitants," the informal name given to the original settlers of New France, dating back to the 17th Century. So it's a natural fit for the The Montreal Canadiens, established in 1909 and marketed as a French-Canadian hockey team.

Having said that, the nickname might have been the result of an error. According to NHL.com, the first man to refer to the team as "the Habs" was Tex Rickard, owner of Madison Square Garden, in 1924. Rickard apparently told a reporter that the "H" on the Canadiens' sweaters was for "Habitants." Not true. The distinctive C-wrapped-around-H logo stands for "Club de Hockey Canadien."

Thanks, I guess I could have googled.!! Thanks for the info though!!

Answer: Habs is an abbreviation of "les habitants," the informal name given to the original settlers of New France, dating back to the 17th Century. So it's a natural fit for the The Montreal Canadiens, established in 1909 and marketed as a French-Canadian hockey team.

Having said that, the nickname might have been the result of an error. According to NHL.com, the first man to refer to the team as "the Habs" was Tex Rickard, owner of Madison Square Garden, in 1924. Rickard apparently told a reporter that the "H" on the Canadiens' sweaters was for "Habitants." Not true. The distinctive C-wrapped-around-H logo stands for "Club de Hockey Canadien."

Correct - most people think that its from "les habitants', so many that it might as well be what it stands for. But yeah, originally it was simply for "hockey".

It is unreal how many people won't believe me when I tell them that the H stands for hockey...

Seriously,

LDi03

Look people straight in the eye and tell them with a straight face that it stands for habaneros.

Seriously. It's worth a laugh.

Either they believe you and you can laugh at them, or they can't believe you're that stupid and the look on their faces is priceless.

Edited by 55fan

New France....and Canada's first french settlement...was founded in 1608, by an explorer named Samuel de Champlain.

I'm a history major at university....so I know this. :P

I think 'les habitants' is a good nick for the Montreal Canadiens - my second fave team - since they're like the oldest nhl hockey team (that I know of) and whose owners helped form the NHL in December 1917.

there was a book published in 1473 by a french writer in which he calls a man a "hab" for having been caught suckling the balls of a goat belonging to the king. Habs is just a plural of this referring to a group of goat ball lickers....seriously look it up.

It is unreal how many people won't believe me when I tell them that the H stands for hockey...

Seriously,

LDi03

The H with the C around it actually stands for "Center Hice" :P