• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NC WINGS FAN

Best and worst Team names in the NHL

Rate this topic

As a sports fan, I have always been curious as to what team names were the most and least popular among other fans. I must say, that as a big NHL fan, I have been somewhat annoyed by the names of many of the leagues franchise names. The NFL, I have always felt has the best overall while the NBA is at the other end of the spectrum. Here are some of my favorite/least favorite names. I hope you all have fun with this light hearted discussion

NHL Favorites:

1. Chicago Blackhawks

Tough yet classy

2. Philadelphia Flyers

It has a nice ring to it. I also like their color scheme and logo

3. Detroit Redwings

I used to wish they stayed the Cougars but have grown to love it and would not want to see it or the winged wheel

go for the world.

4. Boston Bruins

There is something about the name, colors, and logo that says these guys are no pushovers.

5. Dallas Stars

I just like it, though I wish they would go back to the old unis from 1992 - 1999.

6. San Jose Sharks

It is fitting for where they play and unique.

7. Montreal Canadiens

Classy and synonymous with greatness

NHL: Least Favorates

1. Anaheim Ducks

It's not as bad as Mighty Ducks but still dorky. Even before they were upsetting the Wings, I hated this team simply

b/c of their name. It sounds a little short bus to me.

2. Pittsburgh Penguins

It sounds like something Adam Sandler as the Water Boy or someone with a funny retardation would say, P P P

Penguins.

3. Colorado Avalanche

Never liked names that are not plural.

4. Minnesota Wild

Sounds somewhat gimmicky.

5. Columbus Blue Jackets

I know what it means but still.....

I have to be honest here. I love the Red Wings, but I would not give that as a team name if I was the one sitting around the marketing department of an unnamed team.

Predators is on my not-so-hot list as well. Sounds, well... creepy.

The Jazz was a good name- until they moved to Utah.

Ducks- missed it by one letter.

Flames make me think they should be more fashion-conscious.

Pistons is a perfect name for a Detroit team. Reflects the auto industry, but has a nicer ring than the carborators (sp).

Maple Leafs is also a great name.

Generally, any tough animal is a good name, any weak animal is a bad one. See previously mentioned Ducks and Penguins, although ice and Penguins do have a connection.

I have to agree with some of the views on these team names.

1. Predators. It does remind me of Chris Hanson on Dateline 'child predators'

2. Penguins. I think of a stinky ass bird. They posess no fear with their name.

3. Ducks. This has already been covered. Just a stupid name for a pro hockey team.

The more preferrable ones I like are:

1. Canucks

2. Mapleleafs

3. Capitals

My least favourites are

Thrashers (though largely because I have a ******* hard time saying it without sounding like my mouth is full of food. f*** my accent)

Ducks

Penguins (Neither of them exactly strike fear into the hearts of opponents)

Maple Leafs (At least spell 'leaves' properly. It's like if Detroit insisted on calling itself the Rehd Whings)

Best would have to be

Panthers (accidentally put in 'Predators'. That one...not so much)

Jets, before they kicked it

Senators (even though they seem to have 'senator' confused with 'legionary'. Also had the best logo before last season, you have no idea how badly I want the profile face to come back.)

Edited by Cern

Guest Shoreline

Best:

1. Detroit Red Wings -- duh

2. Calgary Flames

3. Chicago Blackhawks

4. Pittsburgh Penguins

Worst:

1. Anaheim (Mighty) Ducks

2. Atlanta Thrashers

3. St. Louis Blues

4. Nashville Predators

Problem with the Calgary Flames is that it isn't really 'their' team name. It's just a carry-over from Atlanta, where 'flames' actually had some significance.

Guest Shoreline

Heh, ironically I was going to put amongst the best the Minnesota Northstars, but thought better of it just to give a round 4 and 4, and current teams.

From a marketing standpoint, it would be interesting to see what is really in a name. Something tells me there would not be tons of Raider fans all over the globe if they were called the Rosebuds and donned red and green instead of silver and black. I realize that nothing attracts fans like a few wins and a mentality of striving to be the best, but I also think that a name most find appealing is a plus in terms of generating revenue.

From a marketing standpoint, it would be interesting to see what is really in a name. Something tells me there would not be tons of Raider fans all over the globe if they were called the Rosebuds and donned red and green instead of silver and black. I realize that nothing attracts fans like a few wins and a mentality of striving to be the best, but I also think that a name most find appealing is a plus in terms of generating revenue.

Best:

Red Wings

Lightning

Blues

Blackhawks

Worst:

Penguins

Blue Jackets

Ducks

Hurricanes

I have to be honest here. I love the Red Wings, but I would not give that as a team name if I was the one sitting around the marketing department of an unnamed team.

Predators is on my not-so-hot list as well. Sounds, well... creepy.

The Jazz was a good name- until they moved to Utah.

Ducks- missed it by one letter.

Flames make me think they should be more fashion-conscious.

Pistons is a perfect name for a Detroit team. Reflects the auto industry, but has a nicer ring than the carborators (sp).

Maple Leafs is also a great name.

Generally, any tough animal is a good name, any weak animal is a bad one. See previously mentioned Ducks and Penguins, although ice and Penguins do have a connection.

I don't get how you think Pistons is a good name, but Red Wings isn't. They both reflect the auto industry in Detroit...

Worst: Rangers

Best: Avalanche

Best matchup... Jets vs Sharks.... Broke out in random song/dance/Snapping at key moments in the game.

Edited by OsGOD

I think most of the names are alright, but animals for team names have a little childish tone for me, no matter how tough the animal might be.

Considering the whole image (name, logo and uniform) of a team I like the older ones more. All of the original six are nice and I also like Flyers, Islanders, Flames, Oilers, Canucks, Sabres and Blues. I don't like the cartoonish elements of teams like Ducks, Panthers and Sharks. Of newer teams I like Wild's uniforms, with their retro look and Senators' image is nice too. While I don't think Blue Jackets' image is cartoonish I still think it's ugly.

BTW, how does the name Red Wings reflect Detroit's car industry?

He/she must have been thinking that the logo (with the wheel) reflects the industry. In terms of the name "Red Wings" which is the topic of discussion, I have no idea how it relets the industry in Detroit. It likely doesn't. Here's where the name came from:

The winged wheel logo was actually borrowed from a cycling club in Montreal. Here's how it happened.

Detroit was awarded an NHL franchise in 1926, and the owners stocked their team by purchasing the roster of the Victoria Cougars of the Western Hockey League. The team was known as the Detroit Cougars for a couple of years, then the Falcons. They did not win often under either name.

In 1932, a millionaire named James Norris bought the team. Here's the rest of the story, as told by Bob Duff in his Detroit Red Wings article in Total Hockey: The Official Encyclopedia of the National Hockey League:

"Norris had been a member of the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association, a sporting club with cycling roots. The MAAA's teams were known by their club emblem and these Winged Wheelers were the first winners of the Stanley Cup in 1893. Norris decided that a version of their logo was perfect for a team playing in the Motor City and on October 5, 1932 the club was renamed the Red Wings."

Coincidence or not, the new name and logo marked a turnaround in the team's fortunes. The Detroit Red Wings made the playoffs in their first season, and won their first Stanley Cup in 1936.

Well there is a wheel in our logo, I assume that would have something to do with it. Outside of that I don't know.

Worst team name is the Ducks by far. Best is, well, the Red Wings of course.

Best Team Names

1.) Red Wings (sounds like a violent red bull commercial though)

2.) Sharks (strike up the music and stay away from the water)

3.) Capitals (They bore you to death with their legislation)

4.) Avalanche (at least they came up with a new name hey Calgary)

Worst

1.) Ducks (Quack Quack Quack Mr. Ducksworth)

2.) Blue Jackets (Ok so I hate anything Columbus plus try to find a matching tie)

3.) Islanders (play the music and they go in the water see Sharks)