• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shutemdown

Red Wings sign Lashoff, Raedeke

Rate this topic

http://www.redwingscentral.com/redwingscor...937822725722904

The Detroit Red Wings are close to signing two undrafted 18-year-olds who participated in their prospects camp as free-agent try-outs. Defenseman Brian Lashoff and forward Brent Raedeke have been in negotiations with the Red Wings, according to Detroit general manager Ken Holland, who said that Lashoff is close to finalizing a contract.

"I'm optimistic we'll get that (Lashoff deal) done soon," said Holland. "The two of them really impressed us in the rookie camp.

Lashoff, a native of upstate New York, is a 6-foot-2 defenseman who is starting his third season with the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League.

"It was a great experience being around those guys, a team like that that's just won a Cup," Lashoff told the Barrie Examiner. "It's amazing. Going into prospects camp, I knew it was going to be competitive, but I thought I held my own. Then, in main camp, I didn't want to be out there staring at the backs of jerseys. I wanted to show what I could do, and I think I did that."

"We like that he has two years of junior to go," said Holland. "He's a big body who can handle the puck well. He's got to work on foot speed."

Raedeke is a winger starting his second season with the Edmonton Oil Kings of the Western Hockey League. The Saskatchewan native is a 6-foot-0 left-handed shot.

"Raedeke is a real good player," said Holland. "He's got good hockey sense. We just want to see him in the gym. He has to get physically stronger."

Holland said that the Red Wings are seven or eight below the league limit of 50 contract players before the Lashoff and Raedeke deals.

It's very cool that they're giving these undrafted kids a chance. I heard a story that the Wings had a tough time deciding between Jesper Samuelsson and another player (for the final pick in the draft), but that they were going to invite the other player to rookie/training camp. I'm guessing it's one of these two guys.

Kenny's math/estimate is a little off. Before Lashoff and Raedeke, the Wings have 44 players under contract, meaning six below the limit. With these two, it'll jump to 46.

G(4): Osgood, Conklin, Howard, Larrsson

D(14): Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, Lilja, Lebda, Meech, Chelios, Quincey, Ericsson, Kindl, Pyett, Kolasau, Lashoff

F (28): Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Hossa, Franzen, Filppula, Cleary, Draper, Hudler, Samuelsson, Maltby, Kopecky, McCarty, Downey, Helm, Leino, Abdelkader, Emmerton, Ritola, Haydar, Mursak, Axelsson, McGrath, Oulahen, Tardif, Gelech, Ryno, Raedeke

We all know someone's going to get moved off the team, but if Quincey/Downey/McCarty/Leino/whoever end up in Grand Rapids, they still count against this 50-man limit, obviously.

Edited by JeeSpot82