No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
T.Low

Who would you want Wings to beat?

Rate this topic

Sweep the hawks in the conference quarters to shut up the Chi-town fans,

Avs in conference semi finals, 6 games again with a 8-0 game 6 win,

Ducks in the conference finals, 6 games is good enough,

Leafs in the finals, Wings win it in 7 after the leafs had a 3 games to 0 lead :P

Edited by Namingway

Hossa suffers a knee injury, out for the season.

Wings sign Sundin.

Osgood demands a trade, ends up in Phoenix.

Wings sign Hasek out of retirement.

Wings head into their last game of the season two points behind the Flames for the eighth seed (albeit with more wins) in the West with the match played in Calgary. Sundin's goal on a center ice prayer with five seconds left past a befuddled Kiprusoff in the third vaults the Wings into the playoffs against the 1-seeded Sharks.

The see-saw series goes back and forth until Darren Helm scores the winner in game 7 after Nabokov makes a bad clearing attempt giveaway to Helm and he fires it in the open net late in the seventh game continuing San Ho's bad luck in the playoffs.

Red Wings sweep the surprising LA Kings led by Hart winner Nik Khabibulin.

Another seven game series sees the Wings surpassing the Ducks. Anaheim leads 4-1 late in the third until an own-goal by Neidermayer with four minutes left spurs the comeback. Lidstrom draws it to 4-3 before Hudler ties the game with seconds left in another back-from-the-dead finish. Early in the first overtime Pronger accidentally bounces the puck into the net off Giguere's backside for the decisive marker, sending the Wings to the Finals against the Devils.

New Jersey builds a 3-1 lead in the Finals and is poised to clinch the series in New Jersey, holding a 3-2 lead in Game 5 into the final minute before a Johan Franzen hat trick in the final minute revives Detroit, who dominates Game 6 9-5 chasing Brodeur. Game 7 in New Jersey is a classic goaltending duel, featuring Martin Brodeur's last game (he announced his retirement earlier in the season) and likely the final appearance until 2010 of Dominik Hasek. Hasek makes 19 saves in a seven overtime marathon, the longest game in NHL history to cap the most amazing Final series ever. New Jersey's would-be game-winner is waved off after video review after it is determined that Patrick Elias directed the puck into the net with a high stick despite not being on the ice for the goal. Twenty seconds later Darren McCarty walks through the entire New Jersey team and fans on his shot but the puck eludes Brodeur for the winner. Hasek is named Conn Smythe winner.

2010--Hasek retires, Wings shocked in the first round by surprising Columbus Blue Jackets. Mats Sundin quits team in Game 4 due to "lack of heart".

2011--Hasek comes out of retirement, Wings win record 65 games, finish first.

First round is a grudge match with the Philadelphia Flyers, oh did I mention Detroit is now in the East? Detroit won this series in six games.

Second round is a rematch of the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals, Devils and Red Wings. The Wings win the first two games at home but the Devs make it a series by taking the next three games. Theoren Fleury scores the game winning goals in Game 6 and 7 to validate his tryout contract and lead the Wings to the Conference Finals against, who else, the Hamilton Predators.

Hamilton defenseman Niklas Lidstrom scores four goals against his former team in Game 1 to encourage the first year team but Zetterberg gets six to win the game and the Wings sweep to head to the Finals against Chicago.

With Huet out of the net for the Hawks, Patrick Kane's goal gets by a frozen Hasek to lift the Hawks to a tie. Hey hey, 48 year old Vladimir Ruzicka's goal past a stunned Huet finishes the overachieving Hawks.

2012-Hasek retires, the Wings sign Marc-Andre Fleury, but lose in the first round to the pesky New York Islanders.

2013-Hasek unretires, leads a ragtag bunch of Red Wings including Starbuck, Brisco County Junior, Theoren Fleury, The Rock, half the 1998 Czech Olympic team, etc. to a fourth place finish in the West.

Well, Zetterberg and Datsyuk are hurt, so it's up to deadline acquisition Georges Laraque to make it seem worth it with a first round game-winner against the Rangers led by team captain Jimmy Howard. Did I mention Naslund is still on the Rangers? Well he is. Anyway, they lose.

In the second round, Detroit (that is, all those guys) make a super series against the Devils, and they actually win it! New Jersey has sucked ever since Brodeur retired and Kevin Weekes just can't cut it in net. Oh well.

So, where was I...oh, in the third round, hey it's Crosby and the Penguins, yet to win a Cup, they're having so much trouble. No one wants to play in Pissburgh due to s*** ownership, so Sid has to do it all by himself. He wishes he were more like Gretzky but he isn't. Loss.

Detroit plays and beats the Canucks in their first Finals since 1994. After Luongo jumped ship to the Penguins in 2010 they had to get someone so they picked up Fred Brathwaite out of the German Elite League, made him Captain, and here they were...unfortunately, Hasek gets this awesome like anti-gravity pads and actually gets up after saves now (making them). It was pretty cool. Anyway, I guess Detroit won that series and...won the Cup.

2014-Well anyway, Hasek retires every other year, this goes on for like twenty years, one year Detroit wins the Cup, the next year they miss the playoffs...weird, huh?

2035-Dominik Hasek declares the 2035 season his last. Players don't wear equipment anymore, it's just twelve naked men mucking and grinding. So the season's are a hundred games long though, but it didn't really make much sense. Detroit gets a first and third round bye and plays Sokol Kiev in the first round. They won that, but they still had to deal with the Honalulu Pigs...well that series didn't go too well till Alex Rodriguez finished the game with a 2-goal score from the center polygon. That was f***ed up. And seriously, did I mention Hasek had these plasma torpedoes in his pads? He did. So, where was I? OH, the Wings won the Cup, they beat the Ducks in the Finals, J.S. Giguere III was like eleven feet tall but they just shot five hole and scored. They scored like three times. It was weird.

Then Hasek finally retired, and the Wings went on this psychedelic drought of like nine hundred years, and the world started melting, anyway, that was the end of the world, they never won another Cup.

Edited by shadow47

I'm not too big into the rivalries thing that much to where you just absolutely loathe a team or whatever else. The Wings-Avalanche rivalry settling down as well as where I went to college not really having much of a huge neighboring rival in sports contributed to this. I understand the fan aspect of rivalries and hating teams, but I just don't get into it and don't really despise any teams that badly.

But, for the sake of the thread, I'll play.

For the WC playoffs, Chicago and Anaheim. It looks to be turning into a competitve matchup with the Blackhawks again, and I'd like to see the Wings avenge the playoff elimination from the Ducks two years ago as the primary reason for being Anaheim. No real preference for a 3rd WC team.

For who I'd like to beat in the Stanley Cup Finals, I'm not really sure. I don't really share in much of the disliking of Pittsburgh like some did here during the Finals and after, and I don't really watch much of the Eastern Conference to where I really like a team or want the Wings to play against a team to make it exciting. By default, I'll go with any of the Original-Six teams in that conference.

First Round : Edmonton Oilers

Second Round : Calgary Flames

Third Round : Anaheim Ducks

Finals : Montreal Canadiens

My dream come true if this scenario comes true, I hate all these team's lol I would love to pass threw them to win the holy grail

Wings sign Sundin.

Wings head into their last game of the season two points behind the Flames for the eighth seed (albeit with more wins) in the West with the match played in Calgary. Sundin's goal on a center ice prayer with five seconds left past a befuddled Kiprusoff in the third vaults the Wings into the playoffs against the 1-seeded Sharks.

The see-saw series goes back and forth until Darren Helm scores the winner in game 7 after Nabokov makes a bad clearing attempt giveaway to Helm and he fires it in the open net late in the seventh game continuing San Ho's bad luck in the playoffs.

Another seven game series sees the Wings surpassing the Ducks. Anaheim leads 4-1 late in the third until an own-goal by Neidermayer with four minutes left spurs the comeback. Lidstrom draws it to 4-3 before Hudler ties the game with seconds left in another back-from-the-dead finish. Early in the first overtime Pronger accidentally bounces the puck into the net off Giguere's backside for the decisive marker, sending the Wings to the Finals against the Devils.

New Jersey builds a 3-1 lead in the Finals and is poised to clinch the series in New Jersey, holding a 3-2 lead in Game 5 into the final minute before a Johan Franzen hat trick in the final minute revives Detroit, who dominates Game 6 9-5 chasing Brodeur. Game 7 in New Jersey is a classic goaltending duel, featuring Martin Brodeur's last game (he announced his retirement earlier in the season) and likely the final appearance until 2010 of Dominik Hasek. Hasek makes 19 saves in a seven overtime marathon, the longest game in NHL history to cap the most amazing Final series ever. New Jersey's would-be game-winner is waved off after video review after it is determined that Patrick Elias directed the puck into the net with a high stick despite not being on the ice for the goal. Twenty seconds later Darren McCarty walks through the entire New Jersey team and fans on his shot but the puck eludes Brodeur for the winner. Hasek is named Conn Smythe winner.

2010--Hasek retires, Wings shocked in the first round by surprising Columbus Blue Jackets. Mats Sundin quits team in Game 4 due to "lack of heart".

First round is a grudge match with the Philadelphia Flyers, oh did I mention Detroit is now in the East? Detroit won this series in six games.

Second round is a rematch of the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals, Devils and Red Wings. The Wings win the first two games at home but the Devs make it a series by taking the next three games. Theoren Fleury scores the game winning goals in Game 6 and 7 to validate his tryout contract and lead the Wings to the Conference Finals against, who else, the Hamilton Predators.

Hamilton defenseman Niklas Lidstrom scores four goals against his former team in Game 1 to encourage the first year team but Zetterberg gets six to win the game and the Wings sweep to head to the Finals against Chicago.

With Huet out of the net for the Hawks, Patrick Kane's goal gets by a frozen Hasek to lift the Hawks to a tie. Hey hey, 48 year old Vladimir Ruzicka's goal past a stunned Huet finishes the overachieving Hawks.

2012-Hasek retires, the Wings sign Marc-Andre Fleury, but lose in the first round to the pesky New York Islanders.

2013-Hasek unretires, leads a ragtag bunch of Red Wings including Starbuck, Brisco County Junior, Theoren Fleury, The Rock, half the 1998 Czech Olympic team, etc. to a fourth place finish in the West.

Well, Zetterberg and Datsyuk are hurt, so it's up to deadline acquisition Georges Laraque to make it seem worth it with a first round game-winner against the Rangers led by team captain Jimmy Howard. Did I mention Naslund is still on the Rangers? Well he is. Anyway, they lose.

In the second round, Detroit (that is, all those guys) make a super series against the Devils, and they actually win it! New Jersey has sucked ever since Brodeur retired and Kevin Weekes just can't cut it in net. Oh well.

So, where was I...oh, in the third round, hey it's Crosby and the Penguins, yet to win a Cup, they're having so much trouble. No one wants to play in Pissburgh due to s*** ownership, so Sid has to do it all by himself. He wishes he were more like Gretzky but he isn't. Loss.

Detroit plays and beats the Canucks in their first Finals since 1994. After Luongo jumped ship to the Penguins in 2010 they had to get someone so they picked up Fred Brathwaite out of the German Elite League, made him Captain, and here they were...unfortunately, Hasek gets this awesome like anti-gravity pads and actually gets up after saves now (making them). It was pretty cool. Anyway, I guess Detroit won that series and...won the Cup.

2014-Well anyway, Hasek retires every other year, this goes on for like twenty years, one year Detroit wins the Cup, the next year they miss the playoffs...weird, huh?

2035-Dominik Hasek declares the 2035 season his last. Players don't wear equipment anymore, it's just twelve naked men mucking and grinding. So the season's are a hundred games long though, but it didn't really make much sense. Detroit gets a first and third round bye and plays Sokol Kiev in the first round. They won that, but they still had to deal with the Honalulu Pigs...well that series didn't go too well till Alex Rodriguez finished the game with a 2-goal score from the center polygon. That was f***ed up. And seriously, did I mention Hasek had these plasma torpedoes in his pads? He did. So, where was I? OH, the Wings won the Cup, they beat the Ducks in the Finals, J.S. Giguere III was like eleven feet tall but they just shot five hole and scored. They scored like three times. It was weird.

Then Hasek finally retired, and the Wings went on this psychedelic drought of like nine hundred years, and the world started melting, anyway, that was the end of the world, they never won another Cup.

Dude... :blink:

Edit: Added my 2 seance

Really? I mean, really? That just blew my mind.

1. Seance - attempt to revive the dead, usually at a cemetery.

2. Sense - a manner in which the body perceives an outside input. You have five of them.

3. Cents - pennies. One hundredth of a dollar.

You were looking for option three here. It means that you would like add something to a conversation that you do not feel has much value.

(from Wikipedia) "My two cents" and its longer version "put my two cents in" is an American idiomatic expression, taken from the original British idiom expression: to put in "my two pennies worth" or "my tuppence worth". It used to preface the tentative stating of one’s opinion. By deprecating the opinion to follow — suggesting its value is only two cents, a very small amount — the user of the phrase hopes to lessen the impact of a possibly contentious statement, showing politeness and humility. However, it is also sometimes used with irony when expressing a strongly felt opinion. The phrase is also used out of habit to preface uncontentious opinions.

Round 1: Colorado (hate them and want to see them ousted as soon as possible by the Wings)

Round 2: Nashville (Their fans piss me off)

Round 3: Calgary (Love watching them play in the playoffs so it would be nice to see them get to the WCF, but they have been extremely annoying to play and would love to see them killed)

Finals: Montreal (They simply deserve a team in the SCF)

Guest LivingtheDream

As for the finals, I guess I gotta go with the Pens, but this time sweep them in 4. THAT would lay to rest so much of the Cindy hype. Or would it? Will it ever end? I mean, we can't get away from it. Notice the Center Ice commercial where a Pens fan builds a little set of boards in his living room and roars at highlights that give the appearance that the Pens took it to the wings by showing a few goals and hits. If you landed here from Mars you would think that the Pens won it all and that Cindy was the best player in the playoffs...

I've been dreaming of a Detroit-Montreal final ever since Bob Gainey took over the Habs, and I really think it could happen this year.

My scenario to get to win Cup

1st round: Colorado-Always fun to put their fans in their place, and an easy 1st round victory would kill those fans.

2nd round: St. Louis-Because it's just tradition to beat the Blues in the playoffs!

3rd round: Chicago-a rivalry in dire need of rekindling. It was so much fun to hate the Blackhawks. It will never be like '95 with players like Belfour and Roenick to hate, but I'm sure we'll find new ones to want Kronwall to plaster into the boards.

SC-Montreal in a 7 game, OT laden fight to the finish in which Hank wins the Conn Smythe.

Most importantly:No West Coast trips!

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Of course I want us to beat everybody and win another cup. But personally, I salivate over every chance to beat the Ducks.

They have talent, yes. But they are also bullies. They are big, mean and play downright dirty at times. In fact, I almost wished we played a little bit like them, with more edge, more of our guys initiating the scrums and stepping up to drop the gloves just for the chance to kick a Duck's player's ass.

I wanted a rematch this past year and didn't get it. I'm still ticked they beat us 2 years ago and I want revenge.

I don't hate the Ducks like I did the Aves back in the day. And I don't even know if I hate them as much as I hate Nashville from a year or two ago.

But I know I hate them partly because I like their mix of play. I like their ruggedness. I like that in a hockey club. I want to see our guys out score them, outhit them and outfight them in a hard fought series.

I want it so bad I can taste it.

Wings sign Sundin.

EPIC!!!!! :yowza::clap:

Edited by Hockeymom1960

Of course I want us to beat everybody and win another cup. But personally, I salivate over every chance to beat the Ducks.

They have talent, yes. But they are also bullies. They are big, mean and play downright dirty at times. In fact, I almost wished we played a little bit like them, with more edge, more of our guys initiating the scrums and stepping up to drop the gloves just for the chance to kick a Duck's player's ass.

I wanted a rematch this past year and didn't get it. I'm still ticked they beat us 2 years ago and I want revenge.

I don't hate the Ducks like I did the Aves back in the day. And I don't even know if I hate them as much as I hate Nashville from a year or two ago.

But I know I hate them partly because I like their mix of play. I like their ruggedness. I like that in a hockey club. I want to see our guys out score them, outhit them and outfight them in a hard fought series.

I want it so bad I can taste it.

:siren: Cha-frikin-Ching!!! :siren: