• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Saran

Luongo named Canucks Captain

Rate this topic

If any goalie should be captain of a team it should be brodeur, not luongo.

What the hell kind of reasoning is that? Since Brodeur isn't the captain in NJ, Luongo doesn't deserve the C?

I like the move - he is the franchise player in Vancouver now and is by far their most important player. The rule that goalies can't wear the 'C' is just dumb.

Any explanation as to why the rule excludes goaltenders? I get the playing coaches or managers part but why goaltenders? They are players like everyone else...

If I remember correctly part of it is because its a delay of game penalty if the goaltender crosses the blueline or red line (can't remember), and it avoids waiting for the goaltender to skate all the way from his net to get the scoop on a call and then skate all the way back.

I think it might be the red line...funny story actually...during one of my team's inline hockey games we had a two man advantage 4 on 2, and the other team had another delayed penalty coming. Our goalie decided to come all the way down into the other team's zone and work the puck around with us. The ref didn't notice him until we passed him the puck and then he blew the whistle for delay of game. :hehe:

Who cares? Its about image of the team, what happens in the locker room, and how well you perform on the ice. Luongo IS the Canucks, and he IS there best player. And whatever Luongo does in the locker room, the coaches know about it much better than we do.

Good choice as far as Im concerned.

It just shows how poorly their organization is run... It's obvious that he's their star player, but how is he going to be a shining example for all the forwards and d-men? Is he planning on playing out of net more often?

Pardon me, but what does Luongo know about the skaters' roles? Is he going to yell from across the ice to motivate his teammates?

Maybe they figure that they're backchecking most of the time anyway... <_<

Exactly right. Toronto, anyone?

Who cares? Its about image of the team, what happens in the locker room, and how well you perform on the ice. Luongo IS the Canucks, and he IS there best player. And whatever Luongo does in the locker room, the coaches know about it much better than we do.

Just what I was about to say. Without Luongo, the Canucks are hopelessly lost (they're not too far from that with him anyways.) He is the team, and the only reason for any success they have this year. Not a bad choice considering he's their MVP.

Yep.

If I'm not mistaken aren't the Canucks close to say bye-bye to one/both of the Sedin brothers, or are those just rumors at this point?

Regardless, the only people that I can name on the Canucks immediately off the top of my head are Luongo and Sopel.

Luongo is the face of the team essentially.

While goalies technically can't be captains on the ice during the game, that doesn't mean he can't be the leader/captain of the team in practices, giving advice, leadership, and so forth.

While goalies technically can't be captains on the ice during the game, that doesn't mean he can't be the leader/captain of the team in practices, giving advice, leadership, and so forth.

Except for the fact that Luongo is no Leader.

Yep.

If I'm not mistaken aren't the Canucks close to say bye-bye to one/both of the Sedin brothers, or are those just rumors at this point?

Regardless, the only people that I can name on the Canucks immediately off the top of my head are Luongo and Sopel.

Luongo is the face of the team essentially.

To be honest (and not trying to be mean) that attests to your hockey knowledge. Sopel isn't on the Canucks anymore and the players like Ohlund, Mitchell, Kesler, Burrows, Sedins (who aren't going to be traded), Bernier are all thrown around quite a bit.

Sopel hasn't played for Vancouver in over a year. Are you thinking of Ohlund instead?

To be honest (and not trying to be mean) that attests to your hockey knowledge. Sopel isn't on the Canucks anymore and the players like Ohlund, Mitchell, Kesler, Burrows, Sedins (who aren't going to be traded), Bernier are all thrown around quite a bit.

...Salo, Demitra, Bieksa, Edler.....

*goes back into woodwork*

Except for the fact that Luongo is no Leader.

Explain...

WTF?? Lol.

Huh?

Just because I might not be as familiar with certain teams or follow hockey 24-7-365 like others in here doesn't mean I know squat about hockey. It just means I don't know as much about certain teams or rosters. I made a guess and I was wrong, give me a break.

I'm sorry, but I blanket statements like your first one really piss me off just because I don't follow the NHL around the tube, or get maybe 1 or 2 questions wrong out of 10 on a quiz related to hockey, or because I don't play the sport, just watch it, or becuase I don't have 1000 different hockey action figures, or whatever else. If I were a Vancouver Canucks fan, I'd probably be on a Vancouver Canucks forum more or know more about their players. But I'm not, and I don't have time to dilly around on sports news for 15 hours out of the day, even though it'd be nice to sometimes. I am a Red Wings fan, hence me being on a Red Wings forum. That means I don't know much about the current makeup of the Vancouver, but I do know some things about hockey. Understood?

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Sopel hasn't played for Vancouver in over a year. Are you thinking of Ohlund instead?

Nah, was still thinking of Sopel. Just not really familiar with the a lot of the rosters other than the big names outside of the Wings.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Huh?

I was just a little confused by the post because as others have stated, there are many other big names in Vancouver and Sopel isn't one. Struck me as an odd post. Anyway, suck it up Tiger. We all f*** up.

Explain...

A perfect example, (though not the only one), is found in Luongo's comments after the final game of last season. I believe someone posted a link on another board. Someone else on that same board posted an opinion I agree with wholeheartedly when they stated that Luongo's "true colors" come out when things get tough.

As an Isles fan, I can attest to that. It's that reason, and not the overwhelming skill of the guy who was drafted 1st overall to replace him, which resulted in his trade to Florida. Mike Milbury may be nuts, but if it weren't for the fact that he DETESTS weakness, (especially in goaltenders), that trade never happens. Ever. That wishy-washy, noodle for a spine, snivelly, pretty, pretty, Princess attitude has always put MM in a nearly homocidal rage.

Anyway.....

Can you imagine if anyone, ANYONE, on the Wings roster, in ANY year, ever made a comment like this?

“I don’t really care,” Luongo said. “My season ended Thursday as far as I’m concerned. I tried to bring it but obviously I didn’t have anything in the tank.”

Some kinda Leadership, alright.

Can you imagine if anyone, ANYONE, on the Wings roster, in ANY year, ever made a comment like this?

“I don’t really care,” Luongo said. “My season ended Thursday as far as I’m concerned. I tried to bring it but obviously I didn’t have anything in the tank.”

Haha, that's priceless.

I never expected this at all, and it's kind of a slap in the face to Willie Mitchell, who would have been a great choice for captain. Now he's basically Luongo's on-ice errand boy.

Is this some desperate plea from the Canucks to get Roberto to stay on their s***ty team?

A perfect example, (though not the only one), is found in Luongo's comments after the final game of last season. I believe someone posted a link on another board. Someone else on that same board posted an opinion I agree with wholeheartedly when they stated that Luongo's "true colors" come out when things get tough.

As an Isles fan, I can attest to that. It's that reason, and not the overwhelming skill of the guy who was drafted 1st overall to replace him, which resulted in his trade to Florida. Mike Milbury may be nuts, but if it weren't for the fact that he DETESTS weakness, (especially in goaltenders), that trade never happens. Ever. That wishy-washy, noodle for a spine, snivelly, pretty, pretty, Princess attitude has always put MM in a nearly homocidal rage.

Anyway.....

Whats wrong with that? It shows how competitive he is, and how badly he wanted to make the playoffs. As a Canucks fan I have no problem with those comments at all, if anything it just re-affirms how badly he wants to win.