• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwings56

Valtteri Filppula

Rate this topic

My opinion is that he is looking GREAT out there. He doesn't have very good finnish(pun intended) around the net, but he is looking more and more like Datsyuk. Throwing his weight around in the corners, handleing the puck really well, his vision is there and he is showing good backchecking skills. Give him at least this year and he will be a really good second line centre, even though he could play that position to start this year, i think Franzen better suits it with Hossa and hudler. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Holmstrom. Leino, Fil, Helm. Malts, Draper, Cleary.

the only problem with that 4 line is that Cleary is making a lot to be a 4th liner. but i think he fits in so well with Draper. Either way, i see Fil moving up when Franzen leaves next year and Leino being a solid player over Hudler.

I think playing the third line with Cleary and Sammy will only show case his defensive abilities and give Val a huge boost of confidence.

Next season will be interesting, one would have to assume Sammy and Hossa will be the odd men out, due to cap and/or youth in the system. That could mean that for like the 5th year in a row Detroit will have a new second line again, only this time it looks like it could be a different (Not new they would just go back to ZDH, unless Z, Mule and Hudler absolutely tear it up!).

Holmstrom Datsyuk Hossa

Franzen Zetterberg Hudler

Cleary Filppula Helm

Leino Draper Samuelsson

would be ideal line-up imho. Fil is pretty good, but not really close to Pavel imho. If Hudler is not effective on 2nd line, I'd replace him with Helm.

Holmstrom Datsyuk Hossa

Franzen Zetterberg Hudler

Cleary Filppula Helm

Leino Draper Samuelsson

would be ideal line-up imho. Fil is pretty good, but not really close to Pavel imho. If Hudler is not effective on 2nd line, I'd replace him with Helm.

We must give leino third line minutes ... this guy is very good he needs to play as much as he can try to get as much as experience he can so if hossa most probably or franzen decide not to re-sign ... will have a good player replacing him ... leino can be a top line player in a year or two, the guys ready for nhl all he needs is experience and the right coaching

I always thought his upside would be a very good 2nd line center. I think he will grow into that. We'll see if Babs keeps Zetts and Dats seperated.

Zetts-Dats-Homer

Franzen-Flip-Hossa

Those two top lines look great as well

We must give leino third line minutes ... this guy is very good he needs to play as much as he can try to get as much as experience he can so if hossa most probably or franzen decide not to re-sign ... will have a good player replacing him ... leino can be a top line player in a year or two, the guys ready for nhl all he needs is experience and the right coaching

Leino is not ready for the NHL yet. Close... but not yet.

He needs a little time down in GR to adjust to the different play in the corners and to improve upon protecting the puck with his body when he is carrying it or is along the boards.

He could also use some time to improve and gain confidence when he goes to the net.