• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bellarina

Chelios out 3-6 weeks (tibia)

Rate this topic

i wouldn't be surprised to see the Wings still trade a d-man at the end of camp and then carry 14 forwards now, meaning one of McCarty or Downey, and one of Helm or Leino.

Why carry Helm or Leino if they are just going to sit in the press box on most injury-free nights. Let them get time in GR. Both are very good players. But they have lots to gain from playing lots of minutes in Grand Rapids. Don't slow their development just to sit and watch games.

He's not exactly the quickest guy in the league, so an injury is the last thing that he needed at his age.

The team, however, will be fine. Other than Lidstrom, we can afford a hit to any other defenseman, as long as multiple guys don't get hurt.

Guest LivingtheDream

I hate to say it, but I see this as good news. While Yzerman and to some degree Shannahan knew their time was up here in Detroit, Cheli is hanging on too long. There I said it. He may be in better shape than a lot of old guys out there, but he is not playing at a starting player level.

too bad it wasn't career-ending.

Classy. You do realize Chelios is coming back in a very limited role? If it comes to next May, do you want Kyle Quincey or Derek Meech playing instead of Chelios? Even if Chelios has lost a step (or ten), he is still a reliable, veteran defenseman.

I still want to see Lilja - Meech on the third pairing. Putting Quincey with Lilja seems like a very bad idea at this point unless Q has a better showing to close out the pre-season.

i'd rather see meech on the ice than chelios, yes. quincey looks like s***, but at least he has the ability to improve his game.

chelios is done like dinner.

You may not like the guy or want him to hang up his skates. That's fine. Sometimes I wander why Chelios is still playing as well.

But to wish injury on him or a career-ending injury on him or anybody, I don't care who the player may be, is crossing the line like many have said in here.

I'm in the 'oh well' camp. Wishing the injury was career-ending is classless as f***, yes, but people were ripping into Chelios like knives in roast beef last playoffs and were glad to see his injuries remove him from the roster - rightfully so given that some blunders he made directly led to lost games. Now all of the sudden we want him back on the ice? With the kind of talent Detroit has on the blue line I believe Chelios is now better suited to help the team in an assistant coach role rather than as a player. It absolutely boggles my mind to see some of these defensive 'prospects' we have that are STILL stewing around in Grand Rapids because Chelios further logjams the roster by wanting to suit up for yet one more year.

Edited by Cern

I actually recall back in the Colorado series in Game 3 or 4 when the Avs scored with Lilja on the ice...the reaction by alot of people here was something like "I bet Cheli would have had better coverage on that one".

Oh well, get better soon Cheli. I guess this means not so fast with a trade before the season.

haha what luck, he's probably gonna start flinching every time a d-man winds up now. he had that similar injury last year off an aucoin shot. he should really get some new shin pads because i bet he just tapes a couple sears catalogues to his legs and goes.

too bad it wasn't career-ending.

wow, classy response. anybody who applauds injuries deserves one of their own and seriously who wants to see a career (no matter how drawn out) ended by injuries.

even though i wish he had hung them up after last season i would never wish for him to get a career ending injury. any self-respecting person would keep such a dumbass comment to themselves.

I actually recall back in the Colorado series in Game 3 or 4 when the Avs scored with Lilja on the ice...the reaction by alot of people here was something like "I bet Cheli would have had better coverage on that one".

Oh well, get better soon Cheli. I guess this means not so fast with a trade before the season.

Typical short-term memory of LGWers. The Mule stopped at 12 goals and didn't have a strong offensive SCF. I think he's done, too. We should have traded him.

haha what luck, he's probably gonna start flinching every time a d-man winds up now. he had that similar injury last year off an aucoin shot. he should really get some new shin pads because i bet he just tapes a couple sears catalogues to his legs and goes.

Like his shoulder pads. Oh well, if it ain't broke... oh, wait.

Lilja - Quincey is my prediction, not the fastest, but sure is one of the biggest

no chance..

2 immobile, poor passing non offensive d-men won't play together..

no chance..

i fully expect that Lebda or Meech will partner Lilja as the 5/6 pairing for opening night

I can tell you he won't flinch.

if he's out 6 weeks, they WILL LTI him...

regardless, one of the 3 d (Lebda/Meech/Quincy) is going to be moved anyway and then it won't matter, because between the other 23, we should still be below the cap (FYI - McCarty, Downey and Helm are all 500k or less of a hit) - Subtract 750 for Cheli and the approx 500k for the traded player, then add in the additional 250k (approx) left... and there is room...

Putting a player on LTIR does not mean you can subtract their salary. All it means is that while Cheli is on LTIR the Wings are allowed to exceed the cap by Chelios cap hit *minus* however much they are currently under (I.E. the Wings are currently $226,667 below the cap, thus they are allowed to exceed the cap by $523,333 --- $226,667+$523,333=$750,000). Once Chelios comes back from LTIR, the Wings must immediately comply with the actual cap before Cheli is allowed back on the active roster.

Putting a player on LTIR does not mean you can subtract their salary. All it means is that while Cheli is on LTIR the Wings are allowed to exceed the cap by Chelios cap hit *minus* however much they are currently under (I.E. the Wings are currently $226,667 below the cap, thus they are allowed to exceed the cap by $523,333 --- $226,667+$523,333=$750,000). Once Chelios comes back from LTIR, the Wings must immediately comply with the actual cap before Cheli is allowed back on the active roster.

you know exactly what I meant by "subtract"... you're splitting hairs... and exactly my point, that's why you carry an extra forward with a 2-way contract and then send them back down (clear the cap space) when he returns...

6 of one, half a dozen of the other.......

no chance..

2 immobile, poor passing non offensive d-men won't play together..

no chance..

i fully expect that Lebda or Meech will partner Lilja as the 5/6 pairing for opening night

without a doubt... I fully expect Meech to be the one traded, as he has the highest trade value, but as long as he's here, I'd like to see Meech/Lilja, Lebda/Quincy, Lebda/Lilja 3rd line pairings while he's away, NEVER Meech/Quincy... too much inexperience and poor decision making in one pairing...

ideally, I would like to see Quincy moved, as Meech has more untapped potential, but once again, it's because of that upside that we can get more for him and I still don't know if I ever believe he will fully meet his potential... I would actually like to see 2 guys moved and the Wings carry only 7 d all year, bringing up guys if need be...