• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ezpeuknikel

No Repeat

Rate this topic

Anyone read Bill Clement's comments in the free press today? Said "he didn't think Ozzie could handle the pressure of being the number one goalie". Screw this idiot. At least cherry knows what he's talking about. :ranting:

He said the same thing on XM last week. When the Power Play guys asked him for his preseason picks, he instantly spat out, "Not Detroit, not Detroit!".

Then he went on to praise the Ducks and the Sharks. Predictable. *shrug*

The thing that confuses me is that Clement's talking like Ozzie's a career backup or something. He handled things fine last season, he'll handle them fine this season too - because, ultimately, he's a career STARTER.

Who cares what anyone has to say really. Fact is, the opinion has some validity to it. There is at least a question in whether Ozzie can handle it or not. Clement is simply giving his opinion that he doesn't think Ozzie will be able to handle it.

If you ask my opnion, I'd say that Ozzie shouldn't be a problem, he played most of the playoffs last year anyway when Hasek couldn't handle it. I think repeating will be difficult, just as it is difficult to win the cup in any year, but if they don't, I doubt it will come down to Ozzie cracking, it will come down to not getting the breaks you need, some luck and avoiding injuries.

What the F does Ozzie have to do to get some respect? "can't handle the pressure" Yeah because Chris has never once faced pressure before, and the Cups he's won? Yeah that was just a piece of cake.

Ugh.

There is nothing he can do to earn respect, he could play out of his mind this season and lead us to another cup, but they will say it's because we have excellent forwards and amazing D.

What the F does Ozzie have to do to get some respect? "can't handle the pressure" Yeah because Chris has never once faced pressure before, and the Cups he's won? Yeah that was just a piece of cake.

Ugh.

If it doesn't bother Ozzie (which it doesn't), why let it bother you? The guy has HOF numbers, not to mention the fact that he's got 3 rings (2 as a starter). I'm sure that's enough for him (well, not enough rings :D but enough to be content with himself). I'm sure Ozzie is above letting what other people who've never been good enough to play in the NHL (let alone have the career he has) get to him.

If it doesn't bother Ozzie (which it doesn't), why let it bother you? The guy has HOF numbers, not to mention the fact that he's got 3 rings (2 as a starter). I'm sure that's enough for him (well, not enough rings :D but enough to be content with himself). I'm sure Ozzie is above letting what other people who've never been good enough to play in the NHL (let alone have the career he has) get to him.

"Clement, Clement, hands of cement" scored 148 goals and 356 points in 719 games for the Philadelphia Flyers, Washington Capitals, and Atlanta/Calgary Flames from 1971-72 to 1981-82.

Not as solid as Osgood's career was when he first left Detroit, let alone now, but he was a good solid depth player and served as team captain in Washington for the partial season he was there. Also has two Cup rings with Philly.

It's a copout point being made by someone who doesn't want the Wings to win, but, seeing as how this team is about as strong a team as you're ever going to see in the post-lockout era, can't come up with a single strong knock against them. Every Wings fan knows that if Ozzie is the only piece of the puzzle the Wings to need to "worry about," they're in phenomenal shape. Ozzie is coming off winning the Cup as a starter in the playoffs, putting in some of the best performances of his career along the way. The counterargument is "Yeah, well, he didn't log many minutes in the regular season." But that's why management went out and got Conklin, who will split time with Ozzie in the regular season. Anyone who knows even a little bit about Ozzie knows that he, at least in this stage in his career, needs a backup who can handle a considerable workload in the regular season if he's going to be able to go on a tear in the postseason. This isn't news; it's been that way with him for some time now. Of course, as every Wings fan also knows, the Wings' blue line is light years ahead of any other unit in the league, so Ozzie won't even need to go on a tear. All he needs to do is play good, solid hockey. Why anyone would think he can't do that this season is beyond me.

Oh, wait, that's right -- this is Clement we're talking about. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dabura

Ozzie has always been a stellar regular season goalie... last Spring he played out of his gourd! If he runs into trouble this playoff run it will surely be due to something physical, not mental. The guy has just about done it all.

I hope Conklin gets some serious burn this season... we need Ozzie fresh and healthy come playoff time!

Clement is just basing this on recent history with Cup winners. Even the Ducks last year struggled, despite the fact that their team was still great on paper.

I don't agree with Clement, but history supports his position. Look at what happened to the Wings in 2003. Who says we can't run into a hot goalie again? The fact that it's tough to repeat is not a myth, it's a fact.

do you think gretzky ever puts em all on at once??

Sort of off subject, but for some reason I associate Clement with Melrose. I just wanted to say that it will be nice not to hear from Smellrose this year. It will also be nice to wipe the ice with the Lightning this year.

Clement is just basing this on recent history with Cup winners. Even the Ducks last year struggled, despite the fact that their team was still great on paper.

I don't agree with Clement, but history supports his position. Look at what happened to the Wings in 2003. Who says we can't run into a hot goalie again? The fact that it's tough to repeat is not a myth, it's a fact.

With the notable exception of their most important defenseman (not to mention captain) and most important forward spent half the year dicking around because they didn't know whether they still wanted to play. And it showed in the end.

Dave Lewis happened in '03.

Anyone read Bill Clement's comments in the free press today? Said "he didn't think Ozzie could handle the pressure of being the number one goalie". Screw this idiot. At least cherry knows what he's talking about. :ranting:

In terms of the Osgood comment specifically I'll agree with you. Osgood may not be the most glamorous or exciting goalie out there, but he's as mentally tough as they come and doesn't get rattled.

However, I highly doubt that this was all that Clement talked about.

Just because he might not be drinking Red Wings Kool-Aid like plenty of us do in here doesn't make him an idiot. On paper the Wings defiintely have the roster and talent to make a serious run at repeating as champs, but the game isn't played on paper or in a sports forum. There are plenty of reasons why the Wings might not repeat, we could all easily list them.

Besdies, it's easy for people who's devotion isn't for the defending champion to find reasons why they won't win, or to root for the underdog playing the champion. Wanting to see David beat Goliath.

Also, if everybody picked the Red Wings to win, things would get a little more boring and predictable to talk about in that sense.