• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Konnan511

Top Six D Set

Rate this topic

Lils and Lebda

Update from Friday's morning skate: Wings coach Mike Babcock confirmed after practice today that Andreas Lilja and Brett Lebda will start the season as the third defense pairing, just like they were in the Stanley Cup finals.

"Right now our top six is basically set with Lebs and Lils being five and six,'' Babcock said.

The Wings still need to trade a defenseman, Kyle Quincey or Derek Meech, but Chris Chelios' fractured tibia buys them some time, so they won't need to make a move until Chelios returns, which probably won't be for another six weeks.

"I know (Jonathan) Ericsson is a huge man with upside skill, I know (Kyle) Quincey can play physical, I know Meech can move the puck,'' Babcock said. "Who can do it every night? Who when they make a mistake doesn't fold up and just keeps on going?

I know it's not a popular sentiment, but I'm totally fine with this. Lebda's speed, Lilja's PK ability and shot-blocking - it's a No. 3 defensive pairing that could easily be a No. 2 pairing (and in a couple cases, a No. 1 pairing) on many other teams. I think the reason we're so hard on Lilja (and Lebda, to a lesser extent) is that, up against guys like Lidstrom and Rafalski, they pale in comparison to a huge degree.

But I've always been an underdog kind of guy too, which might explain why I can deal with Lils better than others. :P

Damn. I love Chelios, but if we're going to trade Meech or Quincey, I'm hoping we don't get Burke'd by the team who takes them.

I think we'll get back better than Burke has, keeping in mind the comparative skill levels of the players involved. I'd like to think that the GMs around the league know that it's Burke's own ineptitude that drove him to have to dump players, thus knowing that he's over a barrel. With Holland, it's just an embarassment of riches, so it's in the other teams' best interests to maintain a good relationship with Holland.

it's a No. 3 defensive pairing that could easily be a No. 2 pairing (and in a couple cases, a No. 1 pairing) on many other teams.

Hoo boy, you better be ready to defend that one. Not from me, though, I agree. On teams like the Bolts, Yotes, and Thrashers, that pair would get plenty of icetime and actually be a pretty valued commodity. Never a #1 pairing, though.

Hoo boy, you better be ready to defend that one. Not from me, though, I agree. On teams like the Bolts, Yotes, and Thrashers, that pair would get plenty of icetime and actually be a pretty valued commodity. Never a #1 pairing, though.

Exactly... they could be a #1 pairing on most hockey teams in the world, yes, but in the NHL, no way.

Did they even pay attention to Lilja last night? He assisted on Toronto's 2nd & 3rd goals!!! I thought Meech played better than him by far, and I only remember him really messing up once.

Chelios' broken leg buys the Wings some time in the form of cap relief. His injury allows them to exceed the cap by up to $750k in total cap hit so long as they get beneath it before he returns.

Chelios getting injured may have simply extended the window for Holland to make the trade decision, as he now can carry everyone into the season until Chelios returns if he chooses as Meech, Quincey, or even Lebda could be designated as an 'injury replacement' for Chelios.

Ericsson should replace Lebda. I want to see the "Swedish towers of power" back there at the same time. No one will mess with us then.

I think Q gets traded, and Meech stays and also plays a little forward since we may have to only carry 12 forwards to start with. I think Ericsson will take Lebda or Lilja's job next year...possibly this year depending on injuries.