• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
tino59

So who's it gonna be?

Rate this topic

So, after the preseason, who deserves the last spot?

In my humble opinion, I just don't see how you can't get Leino and Downey in the lineup. I know Helm has played well too but at age 21, he can gain a heck of a lot playing in GR. I know there is only one spot, but it's a crime not to get both of these guys on the team.

Push comes to shove, keep Downey. He adds an edge to the team that no one else does and he is a hell of a team mate who is great for the locker room.

What do you think?

My heart is with Mac, but that's not in the best interest of the team. I do wish him well in GR.

I would say keep Downey up. Leino and Helm are better at the whole skating and shooting and passing and scoring thing, which is important, but we have a lot of guys who are good at that. Plus, unless I'm mistaken, they don't have to worry about waivers.

Downey, on the other hand, is the only one who can fight worth a crap. He's the one we need to keep the other guys honest.

I say keep Downey up, with Leino and Helm being the first call-ups. From what I've heard, Leino is pretty good. I haven't gotten to see him play, so I'm basing that on others' opinions. Helm impressed me during the playoffs.

Keeping Downey up allows Helm to continue to develop, and Leino to get used to this continent. They'll get more playing time in GR and, since injuries are inevitable, will also get some Wings experience as the season progresses.

In the playoffs, one or both can play in Downey's spot. Enforcers are used to being in the press box during the playoffs. Not saying they like it, just that it is the way of the game.

Guest mindfly

Helm/Leino doesn't really matter, but i dont think we need downey or mccarty, lillypad can step up if needed and he is better "enforcer" than they are.

Downey.

However, if he backs down from any more fights for no reason, then I'd take Helm.

Agree 100%.

As much as I have huuuuge man-love for Downey and wish I was his son or could be his servent or something, he acted like a ***** tonight :thumbdown:

Still, the rest of the roster seem to appreciate having a guy in the line-up who has their backs, and Downey is the best player to do that.

Guest Crymson

It doesn't need to be a final decision. They can go up and then back down to the AHL.

I have to pick Downey because I just love him. But I really really like Leino and Helm and I wish that we could keep all three.

I wish that we could replace maltby with Helm. Not to be mean to Maltby but I like Helm better.

LEINO. Mac has been mediocre if not invisible, and Downey has been passing up way too many provoked opportunities to drop the gloves. Tonite he took 2 or 3 penalties because he decided to push instead of fight. Leino has adjusted quickly to NA hockey is only going to get better. Downey should have been fighting like any other kid in the NHL trying to win a spot. Leino and Helm have both been really vying for the spot, Mac not bad but nothing worth giving it to him, and Downey is apparently competing on the assumption he'll drop the gloves eventually. Helm would do better to develop in GR one more year with more ice time and I think Leino could fit nicely with Filppula on the third line, so LEINO.

Depends...if this forward is going to crack the top three lines on a regular basis....Then Lenio. If we are talking someone to sit in the press box and play the occasional game here and there then I say McCarty...or Downey really but I'd give the edge to Mac. Helm's year is probably next year. Not because of skill but because of the type of player he is and our needs.

Helm - should be in the regular lineup even if it's a 4th liner because he can be effective in that role.

McCarty - Doesn't deserve to be in the NHL, let alone on the Red Wings, but has a high chance because of team loyalty.

Downey - Also doesn't deserve to be in the NHL. Other than fighting he brings absolutely nothing to the team, thats why I really don't think he'll make it.

Leino - Shows some glimpses of goal-scoring and playmaking ability, but can't crack a lineup that is top-heavy in exactly that. He's a lot better developing more and getting accustomed to the NA style of hockey in GR. No point in putting a player like this on the 4th line.

Ultimately, think it's going to end up being Mac if they end up taking a 13th forward.

everytime i saw sammy mess up tonight, whether choking on the blueline, that dumb penalty, one of his few givaways or his blind shots that found the goalies chest and gave up 0 rebounds my stock in him dropped. I tried giving him the benefit of the doubt being as he has been here for a few years and has come up big on more then1 occassion... but tonight he just s*** the bed, i thought Leino outplayed him by a wide margin..however this is just one game and due to RL i have not gotten to watch any of the other preseason games.

Downey also as someone has already said was a total ***** tonight.

I would like to have someone who can/will drop the gloves in the lineup but i am really pulling for leino to make the reg squad.

I think it will be Downey or Mac... man, Downey was a piece of turd tonight, though.

There will be plenty of injuries, there aways is... and Leino and Help will be called upon often, especially if it is to anyone in the top 3 lines.

I think it will be Downey or Mac... man, Downey was a piece of turd tonight, though.

There will be plenty of injuries, there aways is... and Leino and Help will be called upon often, especially if it is to anyone in the top 3 lines.

Well for whatever reason Downs decided not to fight he should have because it's preaseason and you're allowed to beat the s*** out of anyone!!! :yowza:

Its a tough decision for me between Leino and Downey. Does anyone know exactly whow many points did Leino end the preseason with, and where he stood compared to the rest of our team? I don't think that Leino or Helm will be able to clear waviers, which I believe Downey and McCarty can do, which may affect the decision.

I don't know. I think we need Downey's physicality and energy more than Leino's potentially unproven scoring ability, however the thought of having 4 lines that are a legitimate scoring threat in the nhl makes me drool.