• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shutemdown

Thoughts on last night's game...

Rate this topic

Well, first off I'll admit that I was a little disappointed when they lost. For the most part, I think they played pretty well. The Leafs just brought it. They knew what they would be up against...

That being said, I noticed a couple things that I liked/disliked in last night's game.

First, it was AWESOME to see how hard Franzen was playing. I saw him backchecking, intercepting the puck in our zone and turning it out, gunning down the wing and putting pucks at the top corners of the net. I saw him hit 2 posts, but his shots were barely off. Either way, it's awesome to see that he's keeping his form and bringing his game.

Secondly, and I will admit, Hossa looked sluggish in the preseason. I had the opportunity to watch him in the first preseason game and he seemed slow, almost confused at times. I know he was just getting into his groove, adapting to new teammates, etc. But still. ALL OF THAT BEING SAID, Hossa looked great last night. I saw a couple quick little moves out of him at center ice to gain their zone, he was taking shots, and making Datsyuk-esque passes across-ice through traffic. Just wanted to say it was good to see him clicking with his new teammates.

Third, our 3rd line (Cleary, Flip, Sammy) actually looked really solid out there. They were creating some good chances. I was pleased to see that most of the team seemed in good form and ready to play.

Won't even really get into our defense... I saw Lilja turn it over a couple times in our zone, but I also saw him block a couple shots.

What was with all the turnovers last night?! Yeesh!

Guest mindfly

You thought wings played good for the most part? did we watch the same game? :P

According to bruce macleod lilja didnt do a single turnover´so you're maybe wrong about that.

"In the end, Detroit had 19 giveaways. What was remarkable was the balance of miscues across the roster. Of the 19 Red Wings who played, 14 had at least one giveaway, including the netminder. But no one Red Wing had more than two giveaways. The only Red Wings without a giveaway were Andreas Lilja, Kirk Maltby, Marian Hossa, Tomas Kopecky and Johan Franzen."

Edited by mindfly

Bottom line is that they didn't play with the discipline that they are accustomed to. That's where the turnovers and mental mistakes (such as Goals number 1 & 3) can come back to bite you. You eliminate those and for all intents and purposes the game is 2-1 Detroit.

Either way, it seemed that the lines are still a step away from clicking which is somewhat understandable. I thought HDH looked great out there with Z's line looking good at times but for the most part slightly disjointed. They'll get their chemistry rolling sooner rather than later though.

Our third line really needs to put the pressure on the other team. There's really no reason the Sammy-Filppula-Cleary line shouldn't dominate the oppositions third line and they certainly didn't last night. The fourth line looked just fine out there.

Aside from a turnover or two from Lebda, I really liked the chemistry of his pairing with Lilja last night. It seemed like those two were very comfortable with eachother and that bodes well for the Wings going forward.

Looking forward to seeing Kronwall-Stuart get a little more physical when the opposition is leaving their zone. Kronwall had a guy lined up but couldn't get the speed down to make the big hit. Not a big deal given that it was the first game of the year and he's probably a shade rusty. The timing for he and Stuart again will come sooner rather than later.

Ozzie was sharp except for the giveaway.

You thought wings played good for the most part? did we watch the same game? :P

According to bruce macleod lilja didnt do a single turnover´so you're maybe wrong about that.

"In the end, Detroit had 19 giveaways. What was remarkable was the balance of miscues across the roster. Of the 19 Red Wings who played, 14 had at least one giveaway, including the netminder. But no one Red Wing had more than two giveaways. The only Red Wings without a giveaway were Andreas Lilja, Kirk Maltby, Marian Hossa, Tomas Kopecky and Johan Franzen."

Interesting, I coulda sworn Lilja turned it over. Eh... I guess that's good news though. One less thing for everyone to jump on him about!

The point I was trying to make in saying, "I think they played well last night", was that I saw alot of strong individual efforts. The team failed to come out with a W, but at least it's good to see that some of these guys are really bringing it already.

Interesting, I coulda sworn Lilja turned it over. Eh... I guess that's good news though. One less thing for everyone to jump on him about!

The point I was trying to make in saying, "I think they played well last night", was that I saw alot of strong individual efforts. The team failed to come out with a W, but at least it's good to see that some of these guys are really bringing it already.

I think that was the key. They didn't play like the normal *team* machine that they are. It was a lot of individual efforts last night making individual plays. As the lines start to gel together that will quickly go away and the team will fire on all cylinders.

I thought they played terrible, sure they had the usual offensive chances, but they were completely undisciplined and were passing into low success, high risk areas which they usually don't do without looking first. Just looked like no one wanted to hold the puck so they were forcing passes leading to turn overs. Every goal against last night was on a Red Wings gaff. Osgood has the first one, Osgood pulled a Dom on the second one and like a few games in the preseason, the defenders just stood there while the opposition banged and dug until they got a goal. and the 3rd one, Cleary was passing to who knows who near center on his own blueline. The Red Wings played more like the Leafs and the Leafs worked the transition and capitalized on mistakes like the Red Wings usually do. It was frustrating to watch, and hopefully Babcock kicked them all in the ass and let them know. That said, first game of the season, big deal. GO WINGS

Wings looked like they had never played together and the Maple Leafs looked like they were playing a game 7 in the playoffs. What a buzzkill!

Hopefully this will be a nice kickstart.

Bottom line: Wings put zero to little effort to that game and they sucked on all fronts.

I thought they had effort, but it was very disorganized and sloppy. It was if this team had never skated with one another before.

As much as it sickens me to say, Kudos to the way the Leafs played. Besides the first 15 minutes of the game, they completely outplayed us.

They had a strong system, and a very aggressive forecheck that the Wings had no answer for.

Oh well. It's one game. They'll get better. And if there's a silver lining to this game, it's that the Wings played, arguably, their worst game in a decade, and still lost by only 1 goal. And that could have been the best the Leafs have played since the lockout.

P.S. I have to say, out of all the Wings players, I thought Fipulla was fantastic. He made some really nice plays and was able to dance in traffic. Given more icetime and better wingers, Fipulla could be a bonofide star before the seasons over.

Wings looked like they were all drinking vodka in the dressing room before the ceremony and like they had never played together and the Maple Leafs looked like they were playing a game 7 in the playoffs. What a buzzkill!

Hopefully this will be a nice kickstart.

I agree. This is totally what I thought too. (+ I added something)

This game clearly meant more to the Leafs than the Wings.

Kronwall was terrible, Zetterberg looked slow, Hudler was useless.

Also, what's with all the icings and offsides on top of the turnovers?

I thought they had effort, but it was very disorganized and sloppy. It was if this team had never skated with one another before.

As much as it sickens me to say, Kudos to the way the Leafs played. Besides the first 15 minutes of the game, they completely outplayed us.

They had a strong system, and a very aggressive forecheck that the Wings had no answer for.

Oh well. It's one game. They'll get better. And if there's a silver lining to this game, it's that the Wings played, arguably, their worst game in a decade, and still lost by only 1 goal. And that could have been the best the Leafs have played since the lockout.

P.S. I have to say, out of all the Wings players, I thought Fipulla was fantastic. He made some really nice plays and was able to dance in traffic. Given more icetime and better wingers, Fipulla could be a bonofide star before the seasons over.

I'll argue that one.......what about the regular season game against Philly in 06/07. That game was absolutely horrendous!

How about this? Get Hudler the hell off line 2.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Homer

Hossa - Flip - Franzen

Cleary - Draper - Maltby

Kopecky - Hudler - Samueslon

How about this? Get Hudler the hell off line 2.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Homer

Hossa - Flip - Franzen

Cleary - Draper - Maltby

Kopecky - Hudler - Samueslon

Filppula doesn't have the hockey sense to be feeding Hossa all season long. There's a reason Filppula doesn't play the PP now.

I didn't get to see the game last night, although little sister taped it so I could see the banner raising.

Thanks for all the input, both positive and negative.

I'm going to throw out a question, and I may be off base, not having seen the game, but I'd like to know what y'all think.

Do you think that perhaps, having played the Leafs recently, that the Wings simply underestimated their opponent? I mean, how many of us looked at the schedule and went "oh, yeah, Leafs. Start it off with a win."

Just wondering.

I was at the game so I didnt hear what any of the analysts were saying but here are my takes:

1. Hudler disappointed. He really got pushed around.

2. Hossa looked very nervous the first two periods but settled down in the third.

3. The only guy I saw skating hard the whole game was Cleary. Unfortunately he had that killer turnover.

4. Franzen tried to be way to much of a finesse player instead of driving to the net and using his size and strength.

5. The top lines need to gel. Its understandable tho that they haven't yet due to injuries in the pre-season. Give them time.

6. Holmer looks to be at his net front best.

7. Hank seemed invisible.

8. The only time the wings played with desperation is when they went down 2 goals.

9. Its one game. If there was to be one game this season where all players would mostly have a down game youd think it would be this one. All the festivities before the puck drop seemed to knock the players out of there usual game day rhythms.

I didn't get to see the game last night, although little sister taped it so I could see the banner raising.

Thanks for all the input, both positive and negative.

I'm going to throw out a question, and I may be off base, not having seen the game, but I'd like to know what y'all think.

Do you think that perhaps, having played the Leafs recently, that the Wings simply underestimated their opponent? I mean, how many of us looked at the schedule and went "oh, yeah, Leafs. Start it off with a win."

Just wondering.

Fans do that, but I don't think the players (and especially Babcock) did that. They just weren't in sync last night.

This is what Chicago, Nashville and other teams from the central have been using so effectively against the Wings over the past year. Obviously it is catching on. They need to stop the fancy passes when they are being relentlessly forechecked like that (bad passes lead to numerous turnovers and icings).

The Wings were very sloppy but also played well at points during the game. Several times it looked like Hossa was just shot out of a cannon my god that guy is fast. Give it a few more games and that line will be unstoppable they just have to get some chemistry together. It was a disappointing loss but whatever it's the first game of the season not to mention they were raising the banner. Maybe that awesome ceremony gave the young Leafs something to play for.

They were horrible last night. Nineteen giveaways is unacceptable in 2 games let alone one. I thought Zetterberg had his worst game as a Wing. They let Toronto get comfortable with thier lack of an aggressive forecheck and thier D moving backwards most of the night. Once that happened they were content to watch Toronto play with the puck. We chased the puck all night. We fought the puck all night. Our legs looked heavy and our heads werent in the game. Lack of preseason time together on the Datsyuk line showed. Hossa looked out of place all night. The third line was our best until Clearys horrible giveaway lost the game. I dont have a clue what Ozzie was thinking.

Sometimes the problem with being so talented and skilled is that when you're "off", you really look bad.

The Wings should have started the season off by keeping it simple and basic. Their passing skills allow them to more often (almost routinely) make passes that most would consider to be high risk. Other teams would not attempt those cross ice passes etc. As a team, last night they were off just enough that those passes weren't getting thru and they should have gone back to a north and south game and crash the net.

I think the original post was accurate with some good insights.

Edited by T.Low

Guest LivingtheDream
This is what Chicago, Nashville and other teams from the central have been using so effectively against the Wings over the past year. Obviously it is catching on. They need to stop the fancy passes when they are being relentlessly forechecked like that (bad passes lead to numerous turnovers and icings).

I hear you on that one. Nothing is more frustrating than when the Wings fail to just clear the zone and hang on to the puck possession religion resulting in turnovers galore and/or lots of chances for the other team. I'm not pretending to have the answer here - you just can't let go of your whole system when you get some pressure, but for that system to work all the time, players need to hustle and make smart plays every time. Last night was not the worst example of this.

I guess the Leafs have our number since they've beaten us several times now in the last 2 years.

I'm most disappointed about the PK, which is supposed to be a strong part of this team. They got totally outhustled by the Leafs on both of those PP goals. The line combos will probably need more time to gel.

It's easy to give up on things now, and to put Pavel and Hank back together, but I don't think we should go that route yet.