• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

Hossa made surprising choice to land in Detroit, but...

Rate this topic

I was as shocked as anyone that we were able to land Hossa. I think he'll fit in just fine. I'll admit that I was looking forward to him coming in the first two games and breaking out, but that wasn't being realistic. In my opinion he's shown flashes of what he can do, especially the other night when he showed off his amazing speed. From what I've read Hossa, Holmstrom and Datsyuk weren't able to play together too much during the preseason so I'm sure they are still adapting to each other.....once they end up gelling I think they'll be something special!

Go Wings!

From what I've read Hossa, Holmstrom and Datsyuk weren't able to play together too much during the preseason so I'm sure they are still adapting to each other.....once they end up gelling I think they'll be something special!

Go Wings!

They didn't play together at all in the preseason due to injuries, making the Toronto game their first together. I'd say the line will do quite well, just needs about 10 games to gel.

I really hope Hossa doesn't feel that his place on this team is not to step on other guys toes. From the way hes played so far, it almost seems like hes coming to this team with a stance that hes merely going to be subsumed under the broad umbrella of talent we have, and doesn't really need to take the bull by the horns. IMO, his best moments have come when he finds himself alone on the offense. Otherwise, it seems like when hes in play with Datsyuk, he waits for the cues of Datsyuk and Homer.

There was one point against the Sens where the puck was sitting maybe 2 feet out of the blue and the puck sat alone for a good 5 seconds. Hossa was maybe 5 feet from it, completely undetected, and hesitated for a few seconds as if waiting for one of his teammates to do something with it. By the time he made a move toward the puck, it was picked of by one of the Sens Dmen.

I realize that hes going to take some time to fit in, but the last time we had as big an offensive star join this team, it was Robert Lang. And in Langs first game with the Wings, he recorded 3 assists and was a huge factor in our PP.

And before the anti-panic committee comes out, I could care less if Hossa has recorded 1 assist or already has 5 goals. It has much less to do with his statistics than it does with his performance. I realize its going to take him some time to mesh with his teammates, but I guess I always assume that the best players in the league can look like stars no matter who they're playing with. So far, Hossa has looked average.

They didn't play together at all in the preseason due to injuries, making the Toronto game their first together. I'd say the line will do quite well, just needs about 10 games to gel.

No, the Exhibition game against Montreal they were together, and Did not Gel at all. The Way Pav and Hank play, datsyuk will carry the puck, draw about 3 defenders then squirt the puck out in Zetterberg's Direction. Z would then take it the rest of the way and get a scoring opportunity. Seen that play so many times last year.

With Hossa, Datsyuk would do the same thing, but when he'd toss it in Hossa's Direction, hossa was never ready for the puck, Often Lunging for it, causing a turnover.

Also read an interview where Hossa said with Pav you just always have to expect the puck to come to you, and he's not quite there yet in terms of comfort.

So, either we wait it out for Pav and Hossa to Gel, or you Reunite Hank and Dats, cause we know that they already have that Chemistry

I really hope Hossa doesn't feel that his place on this team is not to step on other guys toes. From the way hes played so far, it almost seems like hes coming to this team with a stance that hes merely going to be subsumed under the broad umbrella of talent we have, and doesn't really need to take the bull by the horns. IMO, his best moments have come when he finds himself alone on the offense. Otherwise, it seems like when hes in play with Datsyuk, he waits for the cues of Datsyuk and Homer.

There was one point against the Sens where the puck was sitting maybe 2 feet out of the blue and the puck sat alone for a good 5 seconds. Hossa was maybe 5 feet from it, completely undetected, and hesitated for a few seconds as if waiting for one of his teammates to do something with it. By the time he made a move toward the puck, it was picked of by one of the Sens Dmen.

I realize that hes going to take some time to fit in, but the last time we had as big an offensive star join this team, it was Robert Lang. And in Langs first game with the Wings, he recorded 3 assists and was a huge factor in our PP.

And before the anti-panic committee comes out, I could care less if Hossa has recorded 1 assist or already has 5 goals. It has much less to do with his statistics than it does with his performance. I realize its going to take him some time to mesh with his teammates, but I guess I always assume that the best players in the league can look like stars no matter who they're playing with. So far, Hossa has looked average.

If you are measuring performance purely by the scoresheet, then yes, Hossa has been average. Personally, I think he has played quite well. You are also not accounting for the fact that when Lang joined the team, he had already played most of the season, and was one of the best players in the league that year (leading the league in scoring at the time) while Hossa joined the Wings in the offseason. So Lang had been playing and had a rhythm, so regardless of whatever meshing needed to be done, he had his personal tempo going. Hossa had skated a few preseasons shifts and that was it. He played four preseason games, and ended the preseason out with a groin injury for the final preseason game. Give him time to get back into game shape from that injury. Don't call the signing a bust because he hasn't hit 50 goals by the second game of the season. He's still been one of the best forwards on the team so far.

If you are measuring performance purely by the scoresheet, then yes, Hossa has been average. Personally, I think he has played quite well. You are also not accounting for the fact that when Lang joined the team, he had already played most of the season, and was one of the best players in the league that year (leading the league in scoring at the time) while Hossa joined the Wings in the offseason. So Lang had been playing and had a rhythm, so regardless of whatever meshing needed to be done, he had his personal tempo going. Hossa had skated a few preseasons shifts and that was it. He played four preseason games, and ended the preseason out with a groin injury for the final preseason game. Give him time to get back into game shape from that injury. Don't call the signing a bust because he hasn't hit 50 goals by the second game of the season. He's still been one of the best forwards on the team so far.

Well that didn't take long for you to put words in my mouth. I never said Hossa was a bust - if thats your projection on to me then maybe those are words of self-reassurance you're speaking. Otherwise, I'm not at all concerned about Hossa's performance in the long run.

As for whether or not he has performed well, he most certainly hasn't performed at the pace you would expect from a from a 100 point man, in form or not. That argument in it of itself is a cop out, as nearly every NHL player is jumping into the game without an established rhythm. Plenty of players enter the season off injury or having played few games prior to the start of the season and are in just as good of form as ever (i.e. Holmstrom). Hossa hasn't looked bad per se, but the expectations of a decent 2nd liner and what some call a "Top 10 forward" are patently different.

Again, to clarify a point which is so apparently murky as to warrant the assumption that hes been called a "bust", I have every reason to believe that Hossa will reach the level of play expected of him. However, in every game so far - including those pre-season games - and both prior to and post-injury, he has yet to show anything more than a few spurts of elite offense. At this point, he has looked to me like a glorified version of Filppula, which is to say that Hossa has looked great when using his speed and (in my opinion) had his best offensive shift come in the form of penalty killing.

And once again, I am not saying he is a bust, but when we are calling out the play of guys like Andreas Lilja and Mikael Samuelsson who have played remarkably consistently for whats expected of them, then Hossa most certainly deserves his fair share of flack (which I have also acknowledged in Zetterberg's direction elsewhere on this forum).

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Well that didn't take long for you to put words in my mouth. I never said Hossa was a bust - if thats your projection on to me then maybe those are words of self-reassurance you're speaking. Otherwise, I'm not at all concerned about Hossa's performance in the long run.

As for whether or not he has performed well, he most certainly hasn't performed at the pace you would expect from a from a 100 point man, in form or not. That argument in it of itself is a cop out, as nearly every NHL player is jumping into the game without an established rhythm. Plenty of players enter the season off injury or having played few games prior to the start of the season and are in just as good of form as ever (i.e. Holmstrom). Hossa hasn't looked bad per se, but the expectations of a decent 2nd liner and what some call a "Top 10 forward" are patently different.

Again, to clarify a point which is so apparently murky as to warrant the assumption that hes been called a "bust", I have every reason to believe that Hossa will reach the level of play expected of him. However, in every game so far - including those pre-season games - and both prior to and post-injury, he has yet to show anything more than a few spurts of elite offense. At this point, he has looked to me like a glorified version of Filppula, which is to say that Hossa has looked great when using his speed and (in my opinion) had his best offensive shift come in the form of penalty killing.

And once again, I am not saying he is a bust, but when we are calling out the play of guys like Andreas Lilja and Mikael Samuelsson who have played remarkably consistently for whats expected of them, then Hossa most certainly deserves his fair share of flack (which I have also acknowledged in Zetterberg's direction elsewhere on this forum).

I will put it to you this way; if you are projecting scoring totals after two games, you are going to get ridiculous numbers. If Hossa's numbers after the first ten games don't show him scoring more than 20 points for the season, at that point we might want to start becoming concerned. And, BTW, when you can find me calling out Lilja or Samuelsson for their subpar play during the season so far, you can continue with your retort about evening out the flak; otherwise, please do not address me as 'we' in that regard.

Guest LivingtheDream

I distinctly remember reading somewhere that Chelios told him not to make the reason coming here to win the Cup, but that's all that is said and it seems like a silly thing to say for a one year deal. For Hossa this is a long shot and I think for his own personal equation he made the wrong move. However, given all this I would expect his playoff play to be super charged with energy and scoring. That is what we are paying for. I could care less about the regular season.

I distinctly remember reading somewhere that Chelios told him not to make the reason coming here to win the Cup, but that's all that is said and it seems like a silly thing to say for a one year deal.

Now I heard a lot of talk also about how Hossa just wants to come for a cup, but your right one year deal makes it seem no.

I honestly don't care what Hossa does in the regular season. Comes playoffs he better shine or I don't see him here long.

Guest mindfly

"leaving million of dollars" he got a huge amout of money here as well, as much as lidström, but just one year, when he's done after this year he will sign a longterm in same range of money, so its not like he wont make big money again... it's just this contract was short term but he will definetely get same amount of money just more years in another team.

"leaving million of dollars" he got a huge amout of money here as well, as much as lidström, but just one year, when he's done after this year he will sign a longterm in same range of money, so its not like he wont make big money again... it's just this contract was short term but he will definetely get same amount of money just more years in another team.

That's given that he doesn't have a career-ending injury. That's why this was such a huge deal, because he's banking on the fact that nothing will happen to him and that his long-term massive offers will still be there next season.

Guest mindfly

Agreed, but risk of getting a career-ending injury gotta be very small so it's definetely worth it.