• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jason_0931

Should we have traded someone other than Quincey

Rate this topic

Do you think it would have made more sense to trade a Lebda or a Lilja instead of Quincey?

That is should we have offered up someone else that would have had value in the NHL compared with a prospect with little NHL value?

Edited by jason_0931

he was given enough chances to prove himself... im suprised he was even picked up, but it was in fact the kings

I don't think it was a matter of he did not prove himself, but that there was no room. However, if we would have traded a player like Lebda or Lilja instead of Quincey maybe Quincey could have made a roster spot and we would have gotten something in return. I guess that is what gets me with the waiver wire, is that you could loose a player and get nothing in return. It could happen with Aaron Downey or D-Mac too.

I would have rather seen Lebda leave, but apparently he can skate fast which helps his offensive game, thus he's on the team instead.

As opposed to Quincey, who apparently was trying to learn how to fight which helps his defensive game.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I don't think it was a matter of he did not prove himself, but that there was no room. However, if we would have traded a player like Lebda or Lilja instead of Quincey maybe Quincey could have made a roster spot and we would have gotten something in return. I guess that is what gets me with the waiver wire, is that you could loose a player and get nothing in return. It could happen with Aaron Downey or D-Mac too.

NO.

As a matter of fact Quincey did not prove himself. If he did, he'd have pushed Lebda or Lilja out of a roster spot. Heck, we're still carrying Chelios as well.

Quincey really had no future here. Especially with Ericsson probably being the next dman to enter the lineup.

From what I saw of Quincey he was a good kid, one-dimensional stay at home type of dman who didn't have a broad enough skill set to crack this lineup full time. Frankly, as somebody who craves fighting and having a team that can punch back, Quincey having to learn how to be a fighter frightens me. IMO, you learn early on if you have the stomach and the mental fortitude to trade punches with another human being. You either have it or you don't. Can you be taught it? Maybe, but that's not ideal IMO.

Quincey was never going to add enough of that toughness to warrant a roster spot and IMO, Lilja is a more experienced and better player and better capable of handling an occassional fight or two.

Quincey proved he was expendable. I suppose I wish him well but don't really care. He never made much of an impact. Although he did play well in the playoffs a couple seasons ago.

As opposed to Quincey, who apparently was trying to learn how to fight which helps his defensive game.

Fighting doesn't help his defensive game but it helps in other areas. Besides, I'd rather have physical defensemen who can't score rather than non-physical guys who can't score. Lebda falls under the latter description.

Fighting doesn't help his defensive game but it helps in other areas. Besides, I'd rather have physical defensemen who can't score rather than non-physical guys who can't score. Lebda falls under the latter description.

The Red Wings are a puck-moving defensive team. Those that aren't going to be able to thrive in that system aren't going to be useful in the long run. Fighting is not enough of a reason to keep a defenseman. Quincey played himself off this team because amongst other things he wasn't able to move the puck. That doesn't work in Detroit. The fact that he "can fight" is irrelevant if he isn't good enough to *play* in Detroit. Same reasoning behind why Downey isn't on the roster night-in and night-out.

Sidenote: Why discredit Lebda for his speed basically inferring that it isn't important, than go on and credit Quincey because fighting supposedly helps in "other areas"? Speed helps in plenty of areas as well, especially for a defenseman.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
The Red Wings are puck-moving defensive team. Those that aren't going to be able to thrive in that system aren't going to be useful in the long run. Fighting is not enough of a reason to keep a defenseman. Quincey played him self off this team because amongst other things he wasn't able to move the puck. That doesn't work in Detroit.

Sidenote: Why discredit Lebda for his speed basically inferring that it isn't important, than go on and credit Quincey because fighting supposedly helps in "other areas"?

I agree.

First off, Quincey wasn't much a fighter anyway so that issue is a non starter for me.

As for Lebda, I don't know why people hate on the kid. He's got blazing speed and decent offensive instincts. Unfortunately for Lebs he is a bottom tier dman and doesn't get to play valuable minutes that might make his offensive skills more useful. I can't imagine a guy like Marc Andre Bergeron or Joe Corvo is so much greater an all round dman than Lebs. They just play on teams that aren't as deep so those guys get more minutes.

I love Lebda's speed. Especially since we're not one of the fastest moving groups of dmen around the league. His ability to move the puck or carry it with speed out of our zone is invaluable. Matthieu Dandenault did it and we never appreciated him. Seems like Lebs is in the same boat.

I agree.

First off, Quincey wasn't much a fighter anyway so that issue is a non starter for me.

As for Lebda, I don't know why people hate on the kid. He's got blazing speed and decent offensive instincts. Unfortunately for Lebs he is a bottom tier dman and doesn't get to play valuable minutes that might make his offensive skills more useful. I can't imagine a guy like Marc Andre Bergeron or Joe Corvo is so much greater an all round dman than Lebs. They just play on teams that aren't as deep so those guys get more minutes.

I love Lebda's speed. Especially since we're not one of the fastest moving groups of dmen around the league. His ability to move the puck or carry it with speed out of our zone is invaluable. Matthieu Dandenault did it and we never appreciated him. Seems like Lebs is in the same boat.

Here Here! I'll drink to that! One for Dandy and his wheels!

Cheers!

esteef

There are a few ways of looking at this...

What's best for the team NOW? Quincey was #9 on the depth charts, he couldn't beat out Meech, Lebda, Lilja, or Chelios even for the 8th spot, and by all accounts, the only reason Ericsson isn't higher than 10 is because he could be sent to GR without having to clear waivers. So at this point, all Detroit lost was a minor-league defenseman.

What's best for the team IN THE FUTURE? If I was given the choice of having a 46-year old, a 32-year old, or a 23-year old, in most cases, the 23-year old would be my first choice. The 46-year old is at or very, very near the end of his career; the 32-year old is in his prime but can't crack the top pairings; at least the 23-year old is still developing. Who is most likely to still be playing here in 3 years, 5 years, 10 years? The 23-year old. Fortunately in this situation, Detroit's still chock full of defense prospects, so they haven't given up the future, but if Quincey still had the opportunity to develop here, he could have become a regular in the next year or two.

What's best for the PLAYER? Quincey now has an opportunity that, for various reasons, he did not have here this season. He may now get a ton of playing time in LA if Johnson is in fact going to miss the next 3 months (tsn.ca). He may thrive in that situation and develop into a regular NHL defenseman.

To say Quincey didn't have a future here, I think that was premature. He's still only 23. Defensemen take more time to develop, they can't all crack NHL lineups by the time they are 21. Had there been room here--if 2 of Chelios, Stuart, Lilja weren't back--Quincey may have been the 7th or 8th D and had more of a chance to prove himself in practice and games. Maybe, maybe not, but 23 is a bit early to completely write off a defenseman.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
There are a few ways of looking at this...

What's best for the team NOW? Quincey was #9 on the depth charts, he couldn't beat out Meech, Lebda, Lilja, or Chelios even for the 8th spot, and by all accounts, the only reason Ericsson isn't higher than 10 is because he could be sent to GR without having to clear waivers. So at this point, all Detroit lost was a minor-league defenseman.

What's best for the team IN THE FUTURE? If I was given the choice of having a 46-year old, a 32-year old, or a 23-year old, in most cases, the 23-year old would be my first choice. The 46-year old is at or very, very near the end of his career; the 32-year old is in his prime but can't crack the top pairings; at least the 23-year old is still developing. Who is most likely to still be playing here in 3 years, 5 years, 10 years? The 23-year old. Fortunately in this situation, Detroit's still chock full of defense prospects, so they haven't given up the future, but if Quincey still had the opportunity to develop here, he could have become a regular in the next year or two.

What's best for the PLAYER? Quincey now has an opportunity that, for various reasons, he did not have here this season. He may now get a ton of playing time in LA if Johnson is in fact going to miss the next 3 months (tsn.ca). He may thrive in that situation and develop into a regular NHL defenseman.

To say Quincey didn't have a future here, I think that was premature. He's still only 23. Defensemen take more time to develop, they can't all crack NHL lineups by the time they are 21. Had there been room here--if 2 of Chelios, Stuart, Lilja weren't back--Quincey may have been the 7th or 8th D and had more of a chance to prove himself in practice and games. Maybe, maybe not, but 23 is a bit early to completely write off a defenseman.

You're forgetting the bigger picture.

First of all I don't think Lilja and Lebda are going anywhere, at least for another year. So let's say Chely isn't back next season. That moves Quincey up 1 spot but he's still behind Meech and Ericsson. So technically he's still out of the top 8. Now the bigger picture includes at least Kindl. If not Kindl and Brendan Smith and Logan Pyett.

The guys I just mentioned apparently have more upside so as Quincey continued what seemed to be a stalled development, those young guys would also continue to develop and perhaps would've surpassed Quin in short order.

There was no room for him today, tomorrow or in the future. Not on this team anyway.

The Red Wings are a puck-moving defensive team. Those that aren't going to be able to thrive in that system aren't going to be useful in the long run. Fighting is not enough of a reason to keep a defenseman. Quincey played himself off this team because amongst other things he wasn't able to move the puck. That doesn't work in Detroit. The fact that he "can fight" is irrelevant if he isn't good enough to *play* in Detroit. Same reasoning behind why Downey isn't on the roster night-in and night-out.

Sidenote: Why discredit Lebda for his speed basically inferring that it isn't important, than go on and credit Quincey because fighting supposedly helps in "other areas"? Speed helps in plenty of areas as well, especially for a defenseman.

You, my friend, seem like someone who has played the game and completely understand the game of hockey. Much like myself (which is probably why I always agree with your comments). Unfortunately, I really think many of the people here just do not understand the game of hockey. Considering how the Wings rarely ever get into fights, it baffles me why all these "Wings fans" want a team full of enforcers?

You, my friend, seem like someone who has played the game and completely understand the game of hockey. Much like myself (which is probably why I always agree with your comments). Unfortunately, I really think many of the people here just do not understand the game of hockey. Considering how the Wings rarely ever get into fights, it baffles me why all these "Wings fans" want a team full of enforcers?

:lol:

Here is the deal.. Quincey wasn't that good. I mean he played really really well for us in the playoffs back in 07, but he is simply taking too long to develop compared to the other prospects. Ericsson is pretty much ready, Meech is almost there, and pyatt and smith are right around the corner (maybe two or three more years) too. Not to mention Rafalski will be around for a while and Kronwall will be here for a long long time. Quincey is a nobody. He will be a serviceable defenseman in the league and may even turn into a regular.. but not worth waiting for.

You're forgetting the bigger picture.

First of all I don't think Lilja and Lebda are going anywhere, at least for another year. So let's say Chely isn't back next season. That moves Quincey up 1 spot but he's still behind Meech and Ericsson. So technically he's still out of the top 8. Now the bigger picture includes at least Kindl. If not Kindl and Brendan Smith and Logan Pyett.

The guys I just mentioned apparently have more upside so as Quincey continued what seemed to be a stalled development, those young guys would also continue to develop and perhaps would've surpassed Quin in short order.

There was no room for him today, tomorrow or in the future. Not on this team anyway.

I guess I cut my last post a bit short. You're right, the experienced guys will stick around (except Chelios) and Ericsson would have jumped ahead of Quincey anyway, as well as the other guys in the near future. While I don't think he's useless, Quincey's slow development meant his chances of playing regularly here were getting smaller by the day and the Wings made the best move for themselves and for Quincey.

NO. If it were me, I would have picked him to go as well. This should be a good lesson to the guys in GR or in the bottom defensive pairings, is if you dont work hard and improve your game regularly, you will not last in this organization.

Not to hijack the thread, altough it surely will...

There wouldn't happen to be a player in this years draft that can fight while actually be able to play hockey, would there be? I've been waiting for Probert 2.0 for a while now.

Not to hijack the thread, altough it surely will...

There wouldn't happen to be a player in this years draft that can fight while actually be able to play hockey, would there be? I've been waiting for Probert 2.0 for a while now.

Where have you been man?

Probert 2.0 has already been replaced by Lilja 3.0

I guess I am surprised that people say Quincey is not a good player, when in reality he is a good player. Every time he was called upon in the past two years to perform he has done a very good job. The problem with his development has been ice time in the NHL. So if we have 3-4 defensement ready to crack the line-up in the next couple of years what is the plan at that point? Whom do you remove from the team? If you say Chelios I would say that he does not play in every game during the regular season anyways and why would you bring up and Ericsson or a Kindl just to have them sit. I was thinking lets trade a lebda or lilja for a draft pick or two. Then insert Quincey into their spot and then next year offer Quincey up for a trade for more picks. Then insert a Ericsson and Kindl, etc. The point I was making was giving up something to get something in return. If next year Ericsson is ready, but we hold on to Chelios and Lidstrom whom do we give up then? Is it still Lebda or Lilja and if so why not do it the year before and have Quincey be the trade offer next year as an established NHL defenseman or at least gotten a 5 or 6 rounder for him.

I was thinking lets trade a lebda or lilja for a draft pick or two. Then insert Quincey into their spot and then next year offer Quincey up for a trade for more picks. Then insert a Ericsson and Kindl, etc.

If nobody would take Quincey in a trade then why would they take Lebda? The obvious answer is that Lebda's a better player.....in which case why the heartache over losing Quincey?