• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Mule

Rank the NHL's starting goaltenders

Rate this topic

I've been having this discussion with some friends of mine a lot as of late, so I thought I'd get some input from my fellow Wings' fans. In this thread, I'd like for each of you to rank each of the NHL's goaltenders using a 3-tier system. Please allow me to explain:

Each tier will consist of 10 goaltenders. The first tier will represent those who you feel are the elite class of the NHL, and should be seen as the best goalies the league has to offer. The second tier will represent sturdy, reliable goaltenders who may not be considered superstars, but are dependable when called upon. The third tier will represent those who could use drastic improvement, are inconsistent, and the least efficient goaltenders in the league.

You do not have to number the goaltenders within a particular tier from best to worst, but if you'd like to go the extra mile and do so, you are free to do as you please.

Here's my take on the topic:

Tier 1

1. Roberto Luongo

2. Martin Brodeur

3. Henrik Lundqvist

4. Evgeni Nabokov

5. Jean-Sebastien Giguere

6. Mikka Kiprusoff

7. Marty Turco

8. Ryan Miller

9. Nicklas Backstrom

10. Rick DiPietro

Tier 2

11. Carey Price

12. Ilya Bryzgalov

13. Tomas Vokoun

14. Marc-Andre Fleury

15. Chris Osgood

16. Vesa Toskala

17. Pascal Leclaire

18. Cristobal Huet

19. Kari Lehtonen

20. Tim Thomas

Tier 3

21. Dan Ellis

22. Martin Biron

23. Mathieu Garon

24. Cam Ward

25. Martin Gerberg

26. Olaf Kolzig

27. Manny Legace

28. Jose Theodore

29. Jason LaBarbera

30. Peter Budaj

Your turn.

EDIT: There was some confusion as to people believing I felt lower end goalies in a tier were equivalent to those ranked near the top of that tier, so I edited each category in a numbered order, whom I feel is the strongest to weakest. Remember, this is merely my opinion. Feel free to post your own.

Edited by The Mule

I think the problem with your list is that it's split into thirds and your criteria don't match the 'tenders in them. DiPietro and Backstrom don't belong in the same category as Brodeur, period. Price could be great, but he's not proven yet [in other words, the jury is still out on him, and he's in the same group as Osgood, who is a reliable, proven starter -- they're two completely different scenarios]. Why's Ellis in the bottom category? He was the only reason Nashville did what they did last season, 2.34 GAA and .924 in his only year, and he's the bottom tier? Hardly numbers that warrant the group that says it needs "drastic improvement." He's not proven like Miller, but he certainly had better numbers.

I think you can split them up into a few more categories that are a tad bit more representative of the goaltenders in them.

Edited by Anomalously

I'm going to do 1-10 just based on pure talent in my opinion, in other words the goalie I wish Detroit had right this second (not statistics):

1. Brodeur

2. Luongo

3. Lundvquist

4. Fleury

5. Miller

6. Leclaire

7. DiPietro

8. Nabokov

9. Lehtonen

10. Toskala

HM: Turco, Price

I know some of those seem a little out there, but I have watched all of these goalies a lot and do think that each and every one is extremely talented.

1.Brodeur - Proven #1 of All-Time

2.Osgood - Reliable steady starter (3 cups, nuff said).

3.Lundqvist - Proven WorkHorse (olympic gold)

4.Luongo - (hes on the caanucks, was on the panthers)

5.Miller - (im a state fan being bias, sue me)

6.Turco - (not gonna move up till he gets to the finals)

7.Nabakov - (see turco)

8.Kipprusoff - (slowly declining on the list after last year and the start of this year)

9.Fleury - (reverse kipprusoff)

10.Price - young kid showing greatness.

I think the problem with your list is that it's split into thirds and your criteria don't match the 'tenders in them. DiPietro and Backstrom don't belong in the same category as Brodeur, period. Price could be great, but he's not proven yet [in other words, the jury is still out on him, and he's in the same group as Osgood, who is a reliable, proven starter -- they're two completely different scenarios]. Why's Ellis in the bottom category? He was the only reason Nashville did what they did last season, 2.34 GAA and .924 in his only year, and he's the bottom tier? Hardly numbers that warrant the group that says it needs "drastic improvement." He's not proven like Miller, but he certainly had better numbers.

I think you can split them up into a few more categories that are a tad bit more representative of the goaltenders in them.

Naturally, when using a 3-tier system, there's going to be exceptions in each tier to the criteria. As for Dan Ellis, I personally think he's a great goaltender who will have a sturdy career, but he's only played one season, and I couldn't find anyone in the second tier to juggle him with. With another solid season under his belt, he will no doubt move up.

1.Brodeur - Proven #1 of All-Time

2.Osgood - Reliable steady starter (3 cups, nuff said).

3.Lundqvist - Proven WorkHorse (olympic gold)

4.Luongo - (hes on the caanucks, was on the panthers)

5.Miller - (im a state fan being bias, sue me)

6.Turco - (not gonna move up till he gets to the finals)

7.Nabakov - (see turco)

8.Kipprusoff - (slowly declining on the list after last year and the start of this year)

9.Fleury - (reverse kipprusoff)

10.Price - young kid showing greatness.

No way Ozzie is the 2nd best goalie in the league. You had several guys behind him that are better than he is.

The Cups he's won don't matter in this discussion, since no one was asking about all-time ranking, but was instead ranking goalies based on current ability.

1. Brodeur

2. Luongo

3. Lundqvist

4. Turco

5. Nabokov

6. Giguere

7. Fluery

8. Bryzgalov

9. Price

10. Osgood

11. Miller

12. Kiprusoff

13. Backstrom

14. Vokoun

15. Toskala

Good idea, poor exeicution.

You need more categories, say something like Elite, Better than Average, Average, and Below Average, at a minimum. 3 categories just isn't enough.

There is no way Turco and Backstrom should be in the same category as Marty B and Bobby Lou. On the same token, there is no way that Turco and Backstrom deserve to be ranked higher than Leclaire and Bryz.

Make more categories, and there is no way each category will have the same amount of tenders in it.

Good idea, poor exeicution.

You need more categories, say something like Elite, Better than Average, Average, and Below Average, at a minimum. 3 categories just isn't enough.

There is no way Turco and Backstrom should be in the same category as Marty B and Bobby Lou. On the same token, there is no way that Turco and Backstrom deserve to be ranked higher than Leclaire and Bryz.

Make more categories, and there is no way each category will have the same amount of tenders in it.

Three categories is the easiest way to evenly divide the 30 goaltenders, which is why I chose that route. Remember, I said the goalies I listed in each tier were in no particular order, meaning the top two goaltenders in the first tier (Brodeur and Luongo) are not equivalent to the 9th and 10th goalies. If you'd like, I could go back and number the three tiers to make it clear who I feel is stronger than who.

But as for your opinion, we will have to agree to disagree. If you ask me, Turco and Backstrom are much, much better goalies than either Leclaire or Bryzgalov. The latter are good, sure, but Turco and Backstrom have shown that they can be great.

I always think it is funny how Osgood is undervalued as a goalie.

If someone said to you, "Hey, we just signed a goalie with 364 wins, 2 Jennings Trophies, and 3 Stanley Cup rings!!"

Oh really, who?

"Chris Osgood!!"

Oh.

Granted he is not in the top 3 in the league, but certainly Top 10.

I always think it is funny how Osgood is undervalued as a goalie.

If someone said to you, "Hey, we just signed a goalie with 364 wins, 2 Jennings Trophies, and 3 Stanley Cup rings!!"

Oh really, who?

"Chris Osgood!!"

Oh.

Granted he is not in the top 3 in the league, but certainly Top 10.

Don't get me wrong, Osgood is a very good goaltender, but there's much better out there. Ozzie has always played behind a great Detroit team, except for when he was in New York and St. Louis, at which point his stats were average at best.

Don't get me wrong, Osgood is a very good goaltender, but there's much better out there. Ozzie has always played behind a great Detroit team, except for when he was in New York and St. Louis, at which point his stats were average at best.

Agreed. But he is better than a player who piled up wins just because he played in a good system. I would put him in the Top 10, but toward the bottom of that 10.

Tier 1

1. Martin Brodeur

2. Roberto Luongo - sorry but I don't see any rings

3. Evgeni Nabokov

4. Henrik Lundqvist

5. Jean-Sebastien Giguere

6. Marty Turco

7. Mikka Kipprusoff

8. Ryan Miller

9. Chris Osgood - can't argue with 2 Cup wins as a the starting goalie.

10.Rick DiPietro - still has a lot to prove

Tier 2

11. Marc-Andre Fleury

12. Ilya Bryzgalov

13. Tomas Vokoun

14. Carey Price -Hard to rate on one year in the league

15. Niklas Backstrom

16. Martin Biron - underrated

17. Cam Ward

18. Cristobal Huet

19. Kari Lehtonen

20. Tim Thomas

Tier 3

21. Pascal Leclaire

22. Vesa Toskala

23. Mathieu Garon

24. Dan Ellis - once again, hard to rate on 1 year of consistent play

25. Martin Gerber

26. Jose Theodore

27. Manny Legace - could be better with a better team.

28. Mike Smith

29. Olaf Kolzig - Past his prime

30. Peter Budaj

31. Jason LaBarbera

That is my list. I think a lot of a goalies Rating definitely goes into the team they are playing. Like if Manny was still with the Wings, I don't think he'd be a low as he is on this list.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Sorry, too many for me to follow your system. I'm just going with who I think is the best

1. Luongo

2. Lundquist

3. Brodeur

4. Turco

5. Nabokov

6. Miller

7. Kipper

8. Osgood

9. Leclair

10. Fleury

Here's my top-5. Jiggy and Kipper haven't shined recently, so they didn't make on my list this time. Never been much of fan of Nabokov so his out to, don't shoot me.

1. Martin Brodeur

2. Roberto Luongo

3. Henrik Lundqvist

4. Flyers tandem Biron/Niittymaki

5. Lehtonen

Tier 1

1. Brodeur

2. Luongo

3. Lundqvist

Tier 2

4. Kiprusoff

5. Nabakov

6. Miller

7. Vokoun

8. Turco

9. Fleury

10. Lehtonen

11. Dipietro

12. Leclaire

13. Toskala

14. Price

15. Huet

16. Bryzgalov

17. Biron

18. Osgood

Tier 3

19. Giguere

20. Theodore

21. Thomas

22. Garon

23. Ward

24. Ellis

25. Legace

26. Backstrom

27. Kolzig

28. Labarbera

29. Martin Gerber

30. Peter Budaj

There's no way Kiprusoff is a 2nd teir goalie and Giguere is a 3rd tier. Kipper has had one great season and one great playoffs. Then he was solid, then he was just average.

Check the stats again. In each of the two FULL, injury free, seasons that Osgood played for the Isles and Blues, his stats were nearly identical to the stats he posted while with the Wings.

Oh, and as an Isles fan....

You've got DiPietro ranked high. Waaaaaay high. As do most others. Funny how that scrambly, out of position, desperate type of goaltending can make a 'tender look "exciting", and therefore more "spectacular" than he really is.

Check the stats again. In each of the two FULL, injury free, seasons that Osgood played for the Isles and Blues, his stats were nearly identical to the stats he posted while with the Wings.

Oh, and as an Isles fan....

You've got DiPietro ranked high. Waaaaaay high. As do most others. Funny how that scrambly, out of position, desperate type of goaltending can make a 'tender look "exciting", and therefore more "spectacular" than he really is.

I personally have never understood what so many people see in DiPietro. I will admit I had high hopes for him but he just doesn't seem to be the next Marty B or Bobby Lou by any means. I don't even know if I'd fit him in my top 15

There's no way Kiprusoff is a 2nd teir goalie and Giguere is a 3rd tier. Kipper has had one great season and one great playoffs. Then he was solid, then he was just average.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are arguing here. IMO Giguere sucks, but again that is just my opinion.

P.S. I had a little different criteria for ranking my goalies than OP

I personally have never understood what so many people see in DiPietro. I will admit I had high hopes for him but he just doesn't seem to be the next Marty B or Bobby Lou by any means. I don't even know if I'd fit him in my top 15

Thank you! Finally, someone ELSE who gets it! Couldn't agree more.

And now that he's got two surgically "maintained" hips, a surgically "maintained" knee, (not repaired....apparently HE doesn't consider them to be "injuries" that have required major surgery, but more along the lines of "routine maintenance", and states that "that's what the summer is for"......<heavy sigh>), and a growing number of concussions, one wonders if he'll last another 2 seasons with the "sizzling bacon", (HIS words, not mine), style of goaltending he plays, let alone the THIRTEEN years remaining on his current contract.

<heavy, HEAVY sigh.....>