• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest mindfly

Fedorov & Shanahan

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

Is it true that Fedorov left because wings couldn't pay him the insane 20million $ per season or something? that's what I heard but is that true? was he really that greedy?

Why would Shanahan leave detroit, he spoke very highly of the club in the interviews etc, what was his explanation?

Feds left because he wanted more years than management was willing to give him, and because he was tired of living in Yzerman's shadow. And everything reminded him of Anna. Or something.

Shanny left because he was old and lazy and was tired of playing in a system that demanded him to give his all every night. He was also considering (and still is considering) his career with the league after he retires; New York's as good a place as any to get a foot in the corporate door.

Edited by Dabura

Guest mindfly

why did fedorov want more years? secure life after career? did he not sync with yzerman very well? did detroit remind him of Anna K? wtf hmm

Is it true that Fedorov left because wings couldn't pay him the insane 20million $ per season or something? that's what I heard but is that true? was he really that greedy?

Why would Shanahan leave detroit, he spoke very highly of the club in the interviews etc, what was his explanation?

:rolleyes:

Why all the damn trolling?

Go use google. Feds left because:

--He had just fired his agent and was working the deals all on his own all of the sudden

--The wings pulled the deal he was being offered off the table and changed the terms by reducing one year of the contract the day before it was to be signed and refused to give him more time to think about it (a hugely uncool move in ANY business transaction).

--The Red Wings were the Stevie and Shanny show... in light of the contract misnegotiation by the wings (reducing the term of the contract- and thus the job security it provided) he found the prospect of being the top man attractive.

I expect that most of the responses above this are tainted by bitterness and ignorance of why he actually left.

EDIT: I'm wrong on this last line! What a pleasant surprise :)

Shanahan also left because the Wings wouldn't give him the contract he wanted.
I am pretty sure Holland offered him at least $4 million and I believe he got the same deal the Wings were offering him when he signed in New York

--He had just fired his agent and was working the deals all on his own all of the sudden

--The wings pulled the deal he was being offered off the table and changed the terms by reducing one year of the contract the day before it was to be signed and refused to give him more time to think about it (a hugely uncool move in ANY business transaction).

--The Red Wings were the Stevie and Shanny show... in light of the contract misnegotiation by the wings (reducing the term of the contract- and thus the job security it provided) he found the prospect of being the top man attractive.

I expect that most of the responses above this are tainted by bitterness and ignorance of why he actually left.

EDIT: I'm wrong on this last line! What a pleasant surprise :)

Talk about trolling, your the one posting the same thing twice in one thread... :P

They left because they could eat more Wheaties and see more of the dancing girls in New York and Washington D.C.

Sorry, my brain isn't quite functioning yet being 7:00am and I got a bajillion things to do today so I can't think of any better jokes quickly. :P

The reason Feds left will one of the most recurring debates here for the nest few decades. I'm not even going to go there.

Shanny left because he was too old for the system, the Wings had started a youth movement, and NY was a better career move (as he wants to work for the keague upon retirement). He was offered the same contract by Holland as he signed with Sather.

Fedorov left because he wanted to avoid being nothing compared to the future of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. :)

Fedorov in his prime was MUCH better than Zetterberg and Datsyuk combined.

Sergei did right thing when he left Detroit, the management is to blame, not Fedorov.

Fedorov was always a play-for-the-buck type player and his ego wasn't given the room to grow behind Yzerman and later Shanahan. He may have gotten a bit of the shaft in the situation that lead to him leaving, but he had held out on contracts before, calling the Wings' bluff, the last time didn't work out as he was used to. Sergei was always only concerned about himself and since he left the Wings he has done nothing of merit and consistently been one of the most overpaid players in the game.

Shanahan found himself on a team that was nothing like it was in the past. I think the transition from Lewis who wasn't much of a coach to Babcock who demanded so much even from the veteran superstars probably didn't rub him the right way. On top of that, I think Steve leaving really effected his decision. I think when Steve retired it became more obvious to him that he was holding on to what the team used to be instead of stepping aside and bowing out after a tremendous season (40g,41a). He even said he felt like more the past than the present or future. I think it was the right move, especially when you see Chelios, Maltby, and Mac continuing to linger around for nostalgia's sake. Think of how much Shanny would have been flamed on LGW these past couple years of his decline. I would still love Shanny to play one more game in JLA just to get the standing ovation that was well-earned and a long-time coming.

Fedorov was always a play-for-the-buck type player and his ego wasn't given the room to grow behind Yzerman and later Shanahan. He may have gotten a bit of the shaft in the situation that lead to him leaving, but he had held out on contracts before, calling the Wings' bluff, the last time didn't work out as he was used to. Sergei was always only concerned about himself and since he left the Wings he has done nothing of merit and consistently been one of the most overpaid players in the game.

Shanahan found himself on a team that was nothing like it was in the past. I think the transition from Lewis who wasn't much of a coach to Babcock who demanded so much even from the veteran superstars probably didn't rub him the right way. On top of that, I think Steve leaving really effected his decision. I think when Steve retired it became more obvious to him that he was holding on to what the team used to be instead of stepping aside and bowing out after a tremendous season (40g,41a). He even said he felt like more the past than the present or future. I think it was the right move, especially when you see Chelios, Maltby, and Mac continuing to linger around for nostalgia's sake. Think of how much Shanny would have been flamed on LGW these past couple years of his decline. I would still love Shanny to play one more game in JLA just to get the standing ovation that was well-earned and a long-time coming.

That's a great synopsis of why Shanny left. Ultimately after Stevie retired he just felt it was time to move on.

And as someone mentioned earlier, Holland offered him the exact deal he got from the Rangers. In spite of Holland's attempt to keep him, I think it was better for the Red Wings that he moved on. It helped them start forging a new identity as a team.

I totally agree with this. As much as we all love Maltby and Chelios, can we honestly say it is better having them in the lineup than say Darren Helm or Kyle Quincey (we lost our chance on this one). I don't think so. I give Shanny a lot of credit for stepping aside gracefully.

Edited by SFwingsfan

Fedorov turned down more money from Det and left for the ducks. He wanted to be closer and anna kournikova. it turn it helpped the wings out cuz we wouldn't have one of our key guys now. due to money!

Shanny thought it was time to move on, team was going younger

It amazes me how many people are willing to go nuts on Fedorov for the way he left but give a free pass to Shanahan and others.

Fedorov never made his market value in Detroit. For the average salary of his contract in a given year, he never once was paid even close to what he was worth at the time. For all of you people who are so upset about his holdout in 1998...you realize that he was holding out for LESS THAN MARKET VALUE and the Wings wouldn't give it to him? He wanted a deal worth $5.5m per season, the Wings were offering $4.5m per season. The most comparable recent player signed was Joe Sakic, who had just signed a three year offer sheet with New York worth an average of $7m per season, all in guaranteed money. Fedorov ended up with a six year deal that was about $4.2m per season in guaranteed money, and $6.3m per year if he made all his performance bonuses, which he did. In other words; when Fedorov held out, it's not that the Wings didn't feel he was worth that much money; they just didn't want to pay him.

Fedorov agreed to a contract with the Wings of 5 years, $50m. When he showed up to sign, the deal presented was 4yr, $40m. Later, it was re-offered to 4yr, $38m.

Fedorov stated that he wanted a 5 year deal, and that the money was not the big deal. Had the Wings offered him 5 years, $38m he likely would have signed. Instead, they chose to push one of the best Red Wings ever out the door.

It amazes me how many people are willing to go nuts on Fedorov for the way he left but give a free pass to Shanahan and others.

Fedorov never made his market value in Detroit. For the average salary of his contract in a given year, he never once was paid even close to what he was worth at the time. For all of you people who are so upset about his holdout in 1998...you realize that he was holding out for LESS THAN MARKET VALUE and the Wings wouldn't give it to him? He wanted a deal worth $5.5m per season, the Wings were offering $4.5m per season. The most comparable recent player signed was Joe Sakic, who had just signed a three year offer sheet with New York worth an average of $7m per season, all in guaranteed money. Fedorov ended up with a six year deal that was about $4.2m per season in guaranteed money, and $6.3m per year if he made all his performance bonuses, which he did. In other words; when Fedorov held out, it's not that the Wings didn't feel he was worth that much money; they just didn't want to pay him.

Fedorov agreed to a contract with the Wings of 5 years, $50m. When he showed up to sign, the deal presented was 4yr, $40m. Later, it was re-offered to 4yr, $38m.

Fedorov stated that he wanted a 5 year deal, and that the money was not the big deal. Had the Wings offered him 5 years, $38m he likely would have signed. Instead, they chose to push one of the best Red Wings ever out the door.

:thumbup: A good summary for a sad story.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Eva, i'm not buying what you're selling. One player (Sakic) does not a market make.

What you consider market value, based upon Sakic's signing alone obviously didn't jive with what the Wings felt his market value was or what they wanted it to be. And as far as I know Carolina was the only team that made him an offer. And generally, offer sheets like that are bloated in order to actually give you a good shot at acquiring the player. So is that a true reflection of market value or not?

Every year we bless our players like Lids or Dats and hopefully Z when they take less money to stay here. We applaud them. We shower them with mad props for taking less.

How can we ask our players and even come to expect them to do that and then you want us to give Fedorov a pass because he didn't want to take less money to stay here?

Many a Wings star has signed for less money than somebody else would've paid them just to stay in Detroit.

Sergei Fedorov is the only superstar Wings player I can think of that willingly signed his name to the dotted line to leave Detroit and go play for somebody else for more money.

The way I see it, Fedorov has always been about Fedorov first, Red Wings second. Signing that offer sheet proved only 1 thing to me, that he would be willing to leave the Wings for the money.

Both were scapegoats! Nobody likes to be the scapegoats, So they left. Federov didn't want to play in detroit because the fans would bring up, that he wouldn't give it his all, and took nights off. When he wanted to play, he could hang with anyone. I think he had too many distractions in life. Shanny also left free willingly pobably because he was sick of the fans blaming him for early playoff exits and lack of playoff performances. You can score 40 goals in the regualar season, but if you don't show up in the playoffs. Then who cares? I don't think either had anything to do with money.