• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest mindfly

Fedorov & Shanahan

Rate this topic

Fan reaction can be summed up in the following:

We were secretly glad Shanahan left (it was time), but we still wanted Fedorov.

Insert your relationships that ended in similar fashion and you quickly understand why such bitterness exists towards one and not the other.

Shanny left because he no longer believed that the team would win anymore cups.....boy was he wrong!! and look at him now....by the way....where is he? Big mistake, could have had possibly 5cups had he stayed and retired a RedWing.....dumbest move ever.

Shanny left because he no longer believed that the team would win anymore cups.....boy was he wrong!! and look at him now....by the way....where is he? Big mistake, could have had possibly 5cups had he stayed and retired a RedWing.....dumbest move ever.

WRONG!!!!

He left because he felt the team was moving in a younger direction and he represented the old guard. He thought the team was ready for a change, with Yzerman retiring he was the only remaining (except Lids but he is never leaving) old guard player. Nice and clean split by both sides.

Well that is if you want to take his word for it, the split with Shanny was mutual, the Wings offered him a contract and he choose to move on, that simple.

Feds was insulted (naturally) by the Wings removing the extra year, the Wings (guessing here) were pissed that he did the Carolina thing and I think they were afraid he would do the same again. They had a verbal agreement (I am almost positive but not 100%) on a contract and the Wings took a year off.

Messy split by both sides, but only if you take the Carolina thing into consideration, otherwise just bad business by the Wings, but I am not sold on the idea that they wanted him around anymore.

If being "shoved out the door" means having a 5 year 50 million dollar contract on the table for FOUR MONTHS then I certainly hope I get shoved out the door. It became quite clear during those 4 months that Federov probably wasn't staying regardless of how much he was offered.

As it is, the Wings final offer to Federov was higher annually and for the same term than the contract he signed with the Ducks.

Fedorov left because he wanted to be "the man" on another team. He was willing to take less money to do that. Fair enough.

Although Yzerman retired and Shanahan moved on presumably because he wanted to, I don't think Babcock was exactly broken up about either event. There were already rumblings that in order for Datsyuk and Zetterberg to really become leaders of this team, the old guard had to move along. It was fortuitous timing, but I'm not sure the Wings would have made much of an effort to keep Shanny even if he wanted to stay. Frankly, the team has performed better in the playoffs since both those guys left.