• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Stephen Johnston

Rate this topic

You get the feeling the Wings are pretty high on this guy. When he was first drafted I and many others were shocked by his lack of production in his rookie OHL season but it soon became evident that he didn’t play much and wasn’t given much of a role. Given he plays with Bellville and was stuck down the depth chart in his first season I immediately sensed another potential Matthias case. And it seems as though that’s what the Wings are thinking too as they see Johnson being on a similar level at the same age and hope his development can follow a similar path.

Through the first 9 games of the season Johnson has struggled to put the points on the board. He was supposedly very unlucky early, hitting posts, having goals disallowed and he’s only scored 1 goal and 6 points in the first 9 games. But tonight he’s having his first real breakthrough as he has 2 goals in 2 periods. He’s said to be a very strong 2 way player, a good skater and very competitive. He's still pretty lean and will take some time but he could be worth the wait. :thumbup:

Edited by Aussie_Wing

Seems that the Red Wings know a thing, or two about drafting :D

Let's hope that he keeps up his point-per-game production. He will probably spent two more years in juniors.

Actually I'm glad that we draft everything, or nothing - I mean he could be a huge steal, or never pan out. It's a lot easier to sign 3rd and 4th liners, than superstars. So we have to steal them from draft.

I live in Belleville and took my son to all 4 Scrimmage for the Bulls. Johnston looked really good playing with Tipoff and Judson which will more the likely be our top line. We are in a "rebuilding" year this year so Johnston will get more ice time I believe then the last 2 years. My guess is he will either be number 2 or 3 for points on this roster.

Prospects Stephen Johnston and Gleason Fournier and goaltender Chris Whitley were healthy scratches for the Red Wings.

Not the start I was hoping for. :( Lets hope when he gets a shot he's determined to make the most of it, should get a game tonight.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

uk_redwing's new favourite prospect?

2 - KGN Gudbranson, 12:48 - Fighting , 5 min

2 - KGN Gudbranson, 12:48 - Misc-Inst (47.10), 0 min

2 - BELV Johnston, 12:48 - Fighting , 5 min

He really needs to start scoring though if he wants a new contract.

Another fighting major for Johnston tonight. What's got into this kid? :blink:

Needs to start scoring though. I like the fact that Belleville have conceded 17 goals the past 2 games and Johnston hasn't been on the ice for a single ES goal against. :thumbup:

Insane game tonight between Windsor and Plymouth.

1 - PLY Levi, 19:19 - Fighting , 5 min

1 - WSR Cundari, 19:19 - Fighting , 5 min

2 - WSR Nemisz, 9:09 - Inter. on Goaltender , 2 min (PP)

2 - PLY Schmitz, 17:23 - Roughing , 2 min

2 - WSR Mitchell, 17:23 - Unsportsmanlike Cnd. , 2 min

2 - PLY Livingston, 19:54 - Fighting , 5 min

2 - WSR Wallace, 19:54 - Fighting , 5 min

2 - WSR Wallace, 19:54 - Misc-USC (75.4), 0 min

2 - PLY Levi, 20:00 - Check to the Head , 2 min (PP)

3 - PLY Mahalak, 2:08 - Roughing , 2 min

3 - PLY Mahalak, 2:08 - Fighting , 5 min

3 - WSR Young, 2:08 - Instigator , 2 min

3 - WSR Young, 2:08 - Fighting , 5 min

3 - WSR Young, 2:08 - Misc-Inst (47.10), 0 min

3 - PLY McRae, 3:01 - Fighting , 5 min

3 - WSR Timmins, 3:01 - Fighting , 5 min

3 - PLY McRae, 10:21 - Fighting , 5 min

3 - WSR Johnston, 10:21 - Fighting , 5 min

3 - PLY Jenner, 14:33 - Hooking , 2 min (PP)

3 - PLY Malysa, 19:51 - Fighting , 5 min

3 - WSR Duininck, 19:51 - Fighting , 5 min

Also an assist to Johnson and the 3rd star.

He's really contibuting with Windsor, hoping he gets a contract. :thumbup:

Hmmm.... http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=107042

Think the Wings are keeping an eye on him?

While I'd like to think so, I doubt it.

I was surprised when he was given a shot in Red Wings training camp as I thought they had moved on. Obviously they still liked his potential, but given he didn't last long in camp, there's obviously areas of his game they feel still need improvement. His stats this season are his best yet, so that's encouraging, but to me he really needed a huge season, as in 70+ points. I'm not sure if training camp was his last chance with the Wings, or perhaps he'll do a Torquato and sign with the Toledo Walleye next season in the hope of remaining around the Detroit scene.

I liked his upside, good size, skater and untapped offensively potential, but I guess injuries slowed him down, and he wasn't ever able to really string any consistency together. Real shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Al4Vrh3Oo&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su2f3qe59dA&feature=player_embedded

I like him :cool: He'll fit in well in Grand Rapids. Could do with some fighting lessons though. Has absolutely no defence whatsoever. Can't go into a fight with your arms by your side.