• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Arde16

Waiting for Ville Leino

Rate this topic

Hey guys, im a finn and im fan of Jokerit, the team Ville Leino played in when he was still in Finland. Im really anxious to see him play in the NHL and i just had to come here and tell you all that he is great player :rolleyes:

Last season was one of the greatest i've seen in SM League in many years and big part of that is Ville Leino. He just dominated our offensive play. I mean, the most memorable moment in playoff match was when Leino skated around with the puck for like 2 minutes and no one could take it away from him. In 55 games (there is only 56 games in sm league) he had 77 points which is awesome becose in Finland when the season ends best guy usually have around 65 points or so. Teams play quite defensively and there isnt much really skilled offensive players out there which makes scoring fairly hard. Even i am Jokerit fan i think we didnt have much good players to score goals with Leino, well, maybe the american Tim Stapleton (nowdays in the Toronto Marlies) and there was just soo many great passes from Leino that his linemates couldnt convert to goals. Leino is more of a playmaker style player, not that much goal scorer but what i read from the preseason games he has improved alot on that too. Great example of his ability to improve is that he doesnt take penalties anymore. 2 seasons ago he had 76 PIM which is quite alot, most of them pure frustration penalties and so forth, but in the breakout season ONLY 18 PIM. So now he doesnt take penalties, he draws them to the opponent.

In my opinion he is one of the best Finnish players i've seen in years and he is just growing his skills every second. I mean 2 years ago he was "good" player, having 40 points in 50 games but after that season he really broke out. I'd say he is much better than Val Filppula, nothing against him, but if i compare these guys Leino is better, though, they are having quite different role.

Im just saying that i really want to see Leino in the action! I want him to prove everybody that he can play in the NHL and also i want to see how much he has improved again. I just have to hope he gets spot in Detroit soon, maybe after some games in the minors, im expecting much points from him!

Well, i just keep on waiting and maybe some day my dream will come true and perhaps i will fly to detroit and get to see him live again :thumbup:

Edited by Arde16

Haha, I like your sig. Mikko is going to do sick this year.

=D My favourite player, really complete player but a little disappointment last year becose the final breakout is still missing. But now, 9 points in 3 games i think he wont be underrated player after this year!

I think Leino should be on the team right now, but thats just me. The Wings are too deep and unwilling to part with Sameulsson.

Sameulsson has such a wicked slap shot that we can't really get from another forward right now.

Thanks alot for the insight from his days back in Finland. I know a lot of us are just as anxious to see this kid play, and its especially comforting to hear that he put up those numbers in a defense-oriented league.

Keep tabs on the Wings this year because I'm almost certain he will get some playing time. If you look at who his competition was for the final roster spot in the preseason you can tell this kid is special (especially considering he has 0 nhl experience). Helm was lights out last year in the playoffs and reminds me a lot of a young Kris Draper. McCarty and Downey provide the grit that the team needs, and although we're stock full of scorers, Leino was fighting for a roster spot until the very end. That speaks pretty loudly, IMO.

Guest Four

I too am waiting for Leino to show us his skills, it will be exciting when he finally can.

The problem with entry-level players right now is that because this is technically the last season of the CBA (until the PA declines to exercise their right to re-open negotiations), players on a ELC have their bonuses count against the cap. I think this is the reason why the Wings can't call-up Leino right now.

The same is for over-35 players with bonus-structured contracts.

Edited by MacK_Attack

The problem with entry-level players right now is that because this is technically the last season of the CBA (until the PA declines to exercise their right to re-open negotiations), players on a ELC have their bonuses count against the cap. I think this is the reason why the Wings can't call-up Leino right now.

The same is for over-35 players with bonus-structured contracts.

Ville only has $25K in bonuses. That's nothing.

Hey guys, im from Finland and im fan of Jokerit, the team Ville Leino played when he was still in Finland. Im really anxious to see him play in the NHL and i just had to come here and tell you all that he is great player :rolleyes:

Last season was one of the greatest i've seen in SM League in many years and big part of that is Ville Leino. He just dominated our offensive play. I mean, the most memorable moment in playoff match was when Leino skated around with the puck for like 2 minutes and no one could take it away from him. In 55 games (there is only 56 games in sm league) he had 77 points which is awesome becose in Finland when the season ends best guy usually have around 65 points or so. Teams play quite defensively in finland and there isnt much really skilled offensive players out there which makes scoring fairly hard. Even i am Jokerit fan i think we didnt have much good players to score goals with Leino, well, maybe the american Tim Stapleton (nowdays in the Toronto Marlies) and there was just soo many great passes from Leino that his linemates couldnt convert to goals. Leino is more of a playmaker style player, not that much goal scorer but what i read from the preseason games he has improved alot on that too.

In my opinion he is one of the best Finnish players i've seen in years and he is just growing his skills every second. I mean 2 years ago he was "good" player, having 40 points in 50 games but after that season he really broke out. I'd say he is much better than Val Filppula, nothing against him, but if i compare these guys Leino is better, though, they are having quite different role.

Im just saying that i really want to see Leino in the action! I want him to prove everybody that he can play in the NHL and also i want to see how much he has improved again. I just have to hope he gets spot in Detroit soon, maybe after some games in the minors, today grand rapids is playing and im expecting much points from him! In first game he had 1 goal which is good but i think he can do better :D

Well, i just keep on waiting and maybe some day my dream will come true and perhaps i will fly to detroit and get to see him live again :thumbup:

I wouldn't worry too much- I watched him play in each of the televised preseason games and listened to the rest of the game he played in (except for the one game that had no coverage whatsoever). In those handful of games I became an instant fan of Leino! He's now my favourite forward prospect and second only to Ericsson in my list of favourite prospects :)

Leino made a great name for himself in camp and the preseason and will definitely end up playing for the Wings this year- it's just a matter of waiting for another forward to be injured and for some cap space to be cleared! The RW managment is really high on him so I'm sure he's been assured that this minors situation is temporary. He would already be playing for the Wings if they didn't have such a huge log jam up front and such a lack of cap space.

So in summary- I too hope to see Leino playing for the Wings and I wanna see it be a permanent situation that occurs as soon as possible! (as long as it doesn't hurt the team by requiring the loss of a vital player)

Guest CaliWingsNut
Sure he could! All you have to do is paint a goalie's chest protector on it.

:clap:

Hmm, i bought 1 game pass in ahl live tonight to watch how leino is doing and after period and half im little disappointed. Not bad play but nothing special. I hope he can keep on pushing in ahl, 1+1 in 3 games isnt bad but im expecting more from him :rolleyes:

EDIT: Haha, seems like he heard me. Minute later after i posted he scored :clap:

EDIT2: And helper on the board, keep it coming!! ;)

Edited by Arde16

Guest Four
Hmm, i bought 1 game pass in ahl live tonight to watch how leino is doing and after period and half im little disappointed. Not bad play but nothing special. I hope he can keep on pushing in ahl, 1+1 in 3 games isnt bad but im expecting more from him :rolleyes:

EDIT: Haha, seems like he heard me. Minute later after i posted he scored :clap:

EDIT2: And helper on the board, keep it coming!! ;)

Aha he listens to his fans too, imagine that ;)