• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wing Across The Pond

Giving up too many goals

Rate this topic

Anyone else a little concerned about the fact we've already given up 14 goals? I mean we've only scored 16. Not looking too great for a team who consistently has the best defensive record in the league. Do you think a change in starter for the next game in net will make a difference, because I though Conklin looked pretty sweet against Hurricanes. But I know its not just about the goaltenders. I think it was for the Rangers go ahead goal yesterday (probably their 3rd) where they took about 6/7 shots on Ozzie, Lilja moved about 4 feet side to side the whole play. He was a damn statue and I would have liked one of his teammates to let him know about it.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks??

40+ turnovers in 3 games at home is just not Wings hockey. Ozzy hasn't been amazing, but the large majority of goals have been defensive breakdowns on a level that just doesn't happen when the Wings are playing like the Wings.

It's too early to think a goalie switch is going to magically fix our mediocre (so far) defense. Unfortunately, it's going to take the first time the Wings play bad infront of Conklin to crush that theory. Hopefully that doesn't have to happen, the Wings start playing system defense again, and we win 15 straight. :P

i dont think ozzie has it in him to be a full time starter.

Give it a couple more games...he'll be fine. Wings just need to start playing their game, Ozzy included.

3 out of the 4 goals last night were defensive plays I'd expect to see watching L.A. or Tampa Bay :angry:

Edited by digitaljohn88

Why not rename this to which line is giving up the most SHOTS per game (answer: ALL OF THEM!). We're averaging 28 - fookin insane. You give up those kinda numbers, some are gonna go in.

BTW, does Oz know where the shortside is or is he just having problems moving to his right????

Yeah, I think he must be tired after playing in 3 games already... :rolleyes:

ding ding ....we have a winner. :thumbup: nice call jackass

people and there smart ass comments *shakes head*

Edited by maltbymaniac

ding ding ....we have a winner. :thumbup: nice call jackass

people and there smart ass comments *shakes head*

Then care to elaborate on how Osgood doesn't have it in him to be a full time starter? Is it because of his 3 whole games he's played when the defence has looked horrible (relative to the wings' standards) or the steller performance of last season, or the past seasons he's had as a starter? Osgood is fine as a starter, and will settle down with the rest of the team, as they do.

Defense or goalie... still way to many goals. Either way though, I'm sure we'll adjust as the season progresses.

I really think that was the last game that our D was going to look like that.

My point was simply that the whole team looks like it has a hangover. It's not that the individual players are incapable of playing their fair share, or doing their job, just that everyone played like they were out late the alst few games, and that Ozzie is no exception, but that this is not indicative of his normal play...

But yes, too many goals, ultimately...

Edited by CdnWingsFanEh

Guest mindfly

Wings allow too many shots, we should be able to hold 15-22shots or something.. average of 28 is way too much for this wings team

Then care to elaborate on how Osgood doesn't have it in him to be a full time starter? Is it because of his 3 whole games he's played when the defence has looked horrible (relative to the wings' standards) or the steller performance of last season, or the past seasons he's had as a starter? Osgood is fine as a starter, and will settle down with the rest of the team, as they do.

even though he kicked ass in the palyoffs last year,i have never thought he was all that good,he is a decent goalie.its our defense that makes him look good and when they arent doing the job enough he really looks..not so good.i like ozzie n all but he is no hasek.

Any team, especially the Red Wings, have the ability on a game by game basis, of making any goalie look really good, or really bad. Still, the goalie has to step up, if the team isn't clicking.

I will miss Dom. So will the Red Wings, I believe. But he's gone now, and I am grateful he got the hint and left. Another turn here would not have served him well, even though I believe he was capable of playing well, still.

Ozzie has to play better. I will stop short of posting his save percentage (.884) every day, as evidence of that -- unlike posters of yore who did that ad nauseum when Hasek was a Wing. :rolleyes:

The Wings are giving up too many goals. It is partly an issue with the goalies. Conklin is no slouch. Ozzie needs to wake up. He's made a few nice saves, but he has to make the ones that count, too.

Ozzie has been spectacularly mediocre, but so has our defense. We've given up an uncharacteristically large amount of shots. Conklin should definitely be in goal next game. If he performs well (which he will), the next game as well. I'm not saying Ozzie shouldn't be our starter or anything, it's still only the 5th game of the season and Ozzie/Our D has plenty of game to start playing better.

I really think doing the same as we did last year would be the best solution, rotate the goaltenders, ride the hot one into the playoffs and once they cool of switch in the other guy.

even though he kicked ass in the palyoffs last year,i have never thought he was all that good,he is a decent goalie.its our defense that makes him look good and when they arent doing the job enough he really looks..not so good.i like ozzie n all but he is no hasek.

Fair enough. I gotta say, though I'm kind of glad he's no hasek. Hasek played well enough last season, but I always felt nervous last season when he played, unlike Ozzie. Ozzie plays a boring (most nights) game, making saves while being in position. Hasek makes a lot of spectacular saves, but the majority of them come as a result of his knack for wandering from the net due to boredom, and then getting out of position, and having to dive back to make a save. I felt like I was always thinking "oh God, what's he going to do now" when he was playing. The snow angels he had a habit of doing didn't help me feel any better.

i dont think ozzie has it in him to be a full time starter.

I tend to agree with this statement. I have never seen Ozzie as a full time starter. He was a great tandem with Hasek and perhaps the best backup but I still don't feel comfortable that he is full time starting material. We pulled Hasek last payoffs for playing just like Osgood has the past few games. I for one would have welcomed Hasek back this year with open arms, they were a great tandem! I would like to see Conklin in for the next few. Although its not fair to blame our poor play entirely on Ozzie as it has clearly been a slow team start but Ozzie needs some bench time to find his motivation... a little friendly goal tending competition may elevate both of their games. I have Hasek's cell number handy... I will start talking to him about coming out of retirement and coming back to work for us!

Fair enough. I gotta say, though I'm kind of glad he's no hasek. Hasek played well enough last season, but I always felt nervous last season when he played, unlike Ozzie. Ozzie plays a boring (most nights) game, making saves while being in position. Hasek makes a lot of spectacular saves, but the majority of them come as a result of his knack for wandering from the net due to boredom, and then getting out of position, and having to dive back to make a save. I felt like I was always thinking "oh God, what's he going to do now" when he was playing. The snow angels he had a habit of doing didn't help me feel any better.

I miss Hasek already. I was and still am a big Hasek fan!

Hasek wasn't Hasek last playoffs, and he has retired, so we may just want to move on.

I tend to agree with many others here about the sheer number of shots the Wings are allowing on net this season so far. The Wings have not needed their goalie to stop 30+ shots a night. There was only one goal that I would classify as a "bad goal" last night, and that was the one that was scored from behind the net when Ozzie didn't seal off the short side and the puck bounced off his elbow and in.

Last night the Wings allowed 32 shots on goal. Last season they allowed an average of 23.5 SOG/game and allowed 2.18 goals/game. If you extrapolate the numbers to allowing 32 SOG, then there should have been 2.96 goals scored- with the one bad goal that equals 3.96 (or 4, because you can't score 4 hundredths of a goal).

Why is it that when the team is playing really well and clicking that it is the team doing it, but when the team isn't playing well that it is an individual's fault?

I find it funny that people often pick on the wrong people. If you look hard enough, I am sure you could finds a case for replacing just about every one of these guys for one reason or another.

I think that Babcock knows what he is doing, and that Ozzie wouldn't do anything to hurt the team. Babs will pull Ozzie if he feels that his play is a detriment, and I think Ozzie would venture so far as to pull HIMSELF if he wasn't able to perform.

Let's not get too crazy here. We have 7 out of a possible 10 points so far this season. That works out to 114.8 points for the season at the current pace. How many points did we have last season? 115. Kinda looks like we are on the same pace- just going through a bit of a tough time getting things together. The Wings aren't dominating the other teams like last year so far. Give 'em time.

your dead on with this statement. your right i felt nervous as well.i just like the action hasek brought,he always made the game more exciting :thumbup:

Hasek wasn't Hasek last playoffs, and he has retired, so we may just want to move on.

I tend to agree with many others here about the sheer number of shots the Wings are allowing on net this season so far. The Wings have not needed their goalie to stop 30+ shots a night. There was only one goal that I would classify as a "bad goal" last night, and that was the one that was scored from behind the net when Ozzie didn't seal off the short side and the puck bounced off his elbow and in.

Last night the Wings allowed 32 shots on goal. Last season they allowed an average of 23.5 SOG/game and allowed 2.18 goals/game. If you extrapolate the numbers to allowing 32 SOG, then there should have been 2.96 goals scored- with the one bad goal that equals 3.96 (or 4, because you can't score 4 hundredths of a goal).

Why is it that when the team is playing really well and clicking that it is the team doing it, but when the team isn't playing well that it is an individual's fault?

I find it funny that people often pick on the wrong people. If you look hard enough, I am sure you could finds a case for replacing just about every one of these guys for one reason or another.

I think that Babcock knows what he is doing, and that Ozzie wouldn't do anything to hurt the team. Babs will pull Ozzie if he feels that his play is a detriment, and I think Ozzie would venture so far as to pull HIMSELF if he wasn't able to perform.

Let's not get too crazy here. We have 7 out of a possible 10 points so far this season. That works out to 114.8 points for the season at the current pace. How many points did we have last season? 115. Kinda looks like we are on the same pace- just going through a bit of a tough time getting things together. The Wings aren't dominating the other teams like last year so far. Give 'em time.

Great post.

I don't know why it should surprise me, but it did that people are turning on Ozzy already. This whole team has looked out of sorts, and honestly I've thought the goaltending has looked fairly solid from both guys.

For those sentimental about Hasek, he was a great goalie. One of the best to ever play the game. But last season he went from pretty awful to pretty mediocre. His best days were behind him. He lost the starting job in the playoffs for a reason. Let's move on.

Osgood has not been the biggest problem for giving up as many goals as the Wings have. This whole team needs to step up their game.