• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Lilja had appendectomy; Conklin to start tomorrow

Rate this topic

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/2008/10...pendectomy.html

Andreas Lilja is having an appendectomy today and won't be with the team in St. Louis. The defenseman could return to the lineup as early as Friday, according to coach Mike Babcock, but that does seem like a very speedy recovery.

Brad Stuart (bruised knee) said that he's definitely back in the lineup tomorrow night and will be back partnered with Niklas Kronwall. Derek Meech will remain in the lineup and partner with his former Grand Rapids teammate Brett Lebda as the third defense pairing.

The Detroit Free Press's Helene St. James confirms MacLeod's report, and says that Lilja underwent endoscopic surgery:

October 21, Detroit Free Press: Andreas Lilja missed Tuesday's practice because he was at the hospital having his appendix removed, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said.

The procedure was a scope, and team spokesman John Hahn said doctors said Lilja should be ready to play Friday.

Derek Meech will play tomorrow at St. Louis.

I can't complain about Lilja's play so far. He's been one of the few willing to really sacrifice his body. He's blocked a lot of shots (like he always does) and hasn't made any brutal errors.

Agreed. People were screaming at him during the Rangers game (out of force of habit, I guess). But I thought he looked pretty solid. Kept it simple. blocked shots. Killed penalties. The only thing I wanted to see more, which is a constant, is using his size to be more physical.

The Detroit Free Press's Helene St. James confirms MacLeod's report, and says that Lilja underwent endoscopic surgery:

October 21, Detroit Free Press: Andreas Lilja missed Tuesday's practice because he was at the hospital having his appendix removed, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said.

The procedure was a scope, and team spokesman John Hahn said doctors said Lilja should be ready to play Friday.

Derek Meech will play tomorrow at St. Louis.

I'm by no means a doctor, but doesn't it seem awfully risky for a player to return just 3 days after being cut open and then re-sewn back together? It just seems like a recipe for reopening a wound. Perhaps someone that has had their appendix out could enlighten me.

I'm by no means a doctor, but doesn't it seem awfully risky for a player to return just 3 days after being cut open and then re-sewn back together? It just seems like a recipe for reopening a wound. Perhaps someone that has had their appendix out could enlighten me.

It was a scope so the entrance wound (for lack of better terms) is minimal at best and is more of a puncture wound as opposed to an open gash on the side of him.

But I could be wrong.

It was a scope so the entrance wound (for lack of better terms) is minimal at best and is more of a puncture wound as opposed to an open gash on the side of him.

But I could be wrong.

Gotcha....thanks.

Correct. It's like popping a big zit!

How colorful! :lol:

But I could be wrong.

Must be very different if you get cut. Mine ruptured, I was told I would be in the hospital 10-14 days and out of work for 4-7 weeks...and I think my job is much less rough than playing hockey. I wasn't off as long as they said but I was in no means ready to check people three days after.

Guest CaliWingsNut

This is info from the wiki on it that I read up on it to refresh my memory. I'm assuming that they with the more expensive but non invasive method. Therefore he basically has a small puncture wound that takes about 3 - 1" stiches at the base of the stomach/pelvis area. Average recovery can take anywhere from a day or two to 3 weeks. My guess is that it'll be patched up really well and he'll play but won't be at his best for another two weeks.

Edit: Spelling (I cooked for Candy once in her home!)

Edited by CaliWingsNut

But I could be wrong.

I had my appendix removed via scope a few years ago. I was out of the hospital the next day, but they told me that I couldn't do anything strenuous for at least week because of internal stitches that needed to heal over first. It took me about three-four days to feel "normal" again afterwards.

I only had the little puncture wounds (three of them). I was still playing hockey back then, they told me I could start skating in two weeks, and would have to see my surgeon to get clear to play again in 3 weeks.

Mind you, everything is expedited with pro athletes, but I can't see Lilja being cleared three or four days after surgery.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Lilja has played quite good thus far, so it's a shame he'll have to interrupt that run.

As for Conklin, I am very pleased to hear he will be starting tomorrow. I've been anxious to see another outing from him.

I've been waiting for one of you wags to equate Lils and the appendix as equally useless organs, but you didn't! I am so proud. *sniffle* He's been good thus far, and I wish him a very speedy recovery.

Happy to see Conklin back tomorrow, too. :thumbup:

Guest Four

Conklin in net = Good feeling

Lilja not playing = Really bad :S

Edited by Four

Agreed. People were screaming at him during the Rangers game (out of force of habit, I guess). But I thought he looked pretty solid. Kept it simple. blocked shots. Killed penalties. The only thing I wanted to see more, which is a constant, is using his size to be more physical.

QFT. At times, I've been more comfortable with him on the ice than Kronwall, Stuart, or Rafalski. Albeit Lilja's max-out point in terms of his capabilities is really only a #5 Dman, hes still the only guy who, in my eyes, has played well in his role. Every other Dman has played slightly to considerably below what they're capable of.

i'm personally not a lily fan and don't like to see him play, but I do hope he feels better soon. Surgery is never fun. Hope there is also no complications from surgery.

i read in one article that babs said it all started a think a week ago with lily having stomach pains, glad though he took care of it now before it got worse.

Also GO CONKLIN!! Good luck in net tomorrow night!! Lets leave Manny and the blues feeling blue.

Edited by hokeychik22

He must have gotten the surgery before it ruptured. If the appendix ruptures or bursts, they have to make a much larger incision to clean out the infection, and the person is usually on antibiotics via IV for the next week or two at the hospital.

Just happened to my mom about a month ago, and she's just now getting back to 100%. Good thing Lilja caught it before it got more serious. :)