• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jawbreaker

SEL Prospects 2008/2009

Rate this topic

I will try to keep an eye on our SEL prospects. I'll be updating the stats. If there are some Swedes, who can actually watch the games, then it would be great if they could contribute in this topic.

We have 4 prospects in SEL:

Anton Axelsson and Jesper Samuelsson from Timrå

Dick Axelsson from Djurgårdens (DIF)

Joakim Andersson from Frölunda

Today

HV 71 - Djurgårdens 2-2

Dick Axelsson sent the game to OT with his goal. He had three shots on goal, and logged 16:18 TOI. If I'm not mistaken, he has 2 goals in 5 games this season. Match report has Axelsson on the 3rd line, but by the ice-time he was second LW on his team.

Frölunda HC - Färjestad BK 2-2

Joakim Andersson is playing on the 4th line. He is scoreless this season, but in today's game he logged only 03:51 TOI.

Edited by jawbreaker

I'm a Frölunda season-ticket holder, haven't missed a home game in six seasons (that's 158 games).

The fourth line is weaker than what I projected (because of line shuffling in search of chemisty), and with the current situation (9th in the league despite one of the best rosters), you've gotta play your top guys more. Even when the injured 2006 SEL top scorer Andreas Karlsson was in the lineup, head coach Ulf Dahlén basically used 10 forwards in the games.

Edited by Systemfel

Excellent thread jawbreaker, much appreciated.

Dick Axelsson certainly is a very exciting prospect. It's disappointing he couldn't spend the year playing with the Griffins but we'll only have to wait another year. The Wings management seem to love the prospect of Axelsson in Detroit and should give him every oppertunity to make the line-up in a few years.

I'm a Frölunda season-ticket holder, haven't missed a home game in six seasons (that's 158 games).

The fourth line is weaker than what I projected (because of line shuffling in search of chemisty), and with the current situation (9th in the league despite one of the best rosters), you've gotta play your top guys more. Even when the injured 2006 SEL top scorer Andreas Karlsson was in the lineup, head coach Ulf Dahlén basically used 10 forwards in the games.

Thanks for the info. According to scouting reports Joakim Andersson is projected as a shut-down center, but it's will be hard to develop for him, if he can't get ice-time. Plus, teams current position, and lack of chemistry on the 4th line is not helping to increase that ice-time.

If team is doing so bad, then there is a chance that coach will get fired. Are there any talks about this?

I'm sure that Dick Axelsson is our best prospect in Europe, he might be best goal-scoring prospect in the system. But guys like Mursak have something to say about that.

According to scouting reports Joakim Andersson is projected as a shut-down center, but it's will be hard to develop for him, if he can't get ice-time. Plus, teams current position, and lack of chemistry on the 4th line is not helping to increase that ice-time.
Well. He's gone in the summer anyways because of the stupid draft rules.

If team is doing so bad, then there is a chance that coach will get fired. Are there any talks about this?
Sure. But the talk has cooled down considerably the last 7-8 games since the team is doing much better, they just have trouble scoring goals. Also, a) Dahlén is in his first season of a 3-year contract, b) he's best friends with the GM and c) the team switched head coaches both last season and the season before. Didn't help.

Well. He's gone in the summer anyways because of the stupid draft rules.

Yeah, this draft rule is really stupid. But I have a feeling that if Detroit signs him, then he will spend another season in Sweden. Dick Axelsson is already signed, but he plays this year in SEL.

I can read out of this, that you guys are pretty pissed off, that young talent leaves SEL, and goes to North America. I know that Russians are totally pissed off, but a lot youngsters leave Russia, 'cos they can't get enough ice-time in KHL.

Yeah, this draft rule is really stupid. But I have a feeling that if Detroit signs him, then he will spend another season in Sweden. Dick Axelsson is already signed, but he plays this year in SEL.
Thing is, I think Joakim needs to play center to really develop. Frölunda already has top centermen like Riku Hahl, Andreas Karlsson and Jonas Nordquist as well as the excellent checking-line pivot Mikael Johansson down the middle.

I can read out of this, that you guys are pretty pissed off, that young talent leaves SEL, and goes to North America. I know that Russians are totally pissed off, but a lot youngsters leave Russia, 'cos they can't get enough ice-time in KHL.
North Americans should be pissed off too. If the current draft rules existed when, say, Datsyuk was drafted, he would have been "forced" over in 2000 after a 4-point RSL season.

Joakim Andersson played a season-high 15:18 yesterday vs. Södertälje. The all-Gothenburger unit with him, Magnus Kahnberg and Fredrik Pettersson was Frölunda's best line in that game.

Andersson has a huge shot at logging more minutes in the future since top center Andreas Karlsson is out for the season with a torn ACL. If Joakim wants to play, this is his big chance.

Andersson is just playing better and better every game now. His line is constantly skating around the offensive zone, creating havoc. Today against Rögle (with players like Mathias Tjärnqvist and Kenny Jönsson), Joakim Andersson registered another icetime record for himself, playing 17:15 and netting an assist on the 3-0 goal in a 5-0 Frölunda win. He sure is making it hard for the management to sign another center. That being said, I'm still expecting just that.

Edited by Systemfel

If Frölunda beats Linköping tomorrow, they'll take over the league lead. This despite a horrible, horrible start where the team have been as bad as 11th in the league.

"Yup, we could soon take over the lead," a smiling Joakim Andersson tells fan site www.wildwestsupport.se (all quotes courtesy of Wild West Support).

"The league's been so tight this year, so we've climbed the standings pretty fast. It's been great to have been on the team these last few games."

Frölunda is on a five-game winning streak.

"We're obviously feeling pretty good about the situation now," alternate captain Tomi Kallio says.

"Yeah, five wins in a row, you can't be unhappy now," Andersson answers.

Transistion play has been huge for Frölunda lately, and they are going to have to keep it up tomorrow. New-found basics have been very important as well.

"I think we've found some darn good basics, good defense, we have stick with that and not let up a lot of chances for the other team. Linköping's got a great amount of skill, but if we just stick to our game they won't be geting a whole lot of opportunities, either.

Towards the end we've also found great confidence when it comes to finishing plays off, we've been scoring a bit more lately, so it's looking good."

As reported in a few posts above this one, Andersson has been playing a lot more due to the injury to Andreas Karlsson. His eyes light up when he talks about it.

"It feels like I've really grown these last weeks, been getting some ice time, it's been hella good."

Linköping on the other hand, have dropped three in a row.

"Obviously, if we can really take it to them in the start, with them sort of already down and out, it wouldn't be half-bad.

But it's always tough playing against Linköping, HV71 and Färjestad, doesn't matter how a team's been playing lately when facing of them."

Edited by Systemfel

Dick Axelsson is being demoted to Djurgården Juniors, according to Aftonbladet (Link: http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hock...ticle3961465.ab ).

Axelsson has had a rough season so far, being injured and only able to play 17 games. Still he has 5 goals + 7 assists for 12 points in those 17 games. The GM of Djurgården now says he hasn't lived up to the expectations the club has on it's players when it comes to training and playing. Dick himself says he doesn't know why he gets demoted, but also says he will just keep on training the best he can to try and retake his spot in the squad.

Detroit European Chief Scout Håkan Andersson comfirms the demotion, but also says that Dick still is under contract with Djurgården. "If the club chooses to terminate the contract we will have to think about what to do in that case", he says.

I tried to translate it the best i could, don't know if everything is correct, but i think you will atleast get the context. It's a real shame he gets demoted, hopefully its not about motivationproblems..

Edited by Winther

That sounds really bad, especially because he has been playing well. He must be a real handful off the ice, or on it during practice. However there is little doubt Detroit will bring him over at seasons end to let him start afresh.

That sounds really bad, especially because he has been playing well. He must be a real handful off the ice, or on it during practice. However there is little doubt Detroit will bring him over at seasons end to let him start afresh.

To add on to what i wrote earlier, Axelsson is now a member of Färjestads BK, "my" swedish team. Source:

http://www.farjestadsbk.se/

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hock...ticle3979848.ab

Apparantly there have been troubles with some of the players in Djurgården, Axelsson says he have confronted a couple of players, but hasn't gotten a clear answer whats wrong. It seems he doesn't really know what the problem is. I really hope that he gets some confidence, and if he has off-ice issues they get sorted out. I actually think he will be given a real good shot to show what a player he really can be.

Färjestad is one of the top teams in SEL, this year they have had problems with goalscoring and injuries though, but still they are the fourth-placed team, and within one win of the lead. Known players on FBK; Rickard Wallin, Jörgen Jönsson, Peter Nordström, Lee Goren and former Red Wings pick Mikael Johansson (Jonas Frögren and Fabian Brunnström aswell).

An update on Axelsson;

He has 2g+6a for 8 points in 8 games in his new club, playing on the second line with former Wings pick Mikael Johansson and swedish veteran Jesper Mattsson (drafted at #18 by the Flames in 93). He really seems to enjoy himself, there are a lot more veteran leadership in färjestad and much more depth, so he doesnt have the same pressure to deliver here.

His line with Mattsson and Johansson has been a success, with some really nice goals and nifty passing.

Edited by Winther

Systemfel is there anything that you can tell us about Nyquist who is playing in the USA for Maine from when he was in Sweden. He seems to be doing very well here and I was just wondering if you knew what he was like there before he left.

An update on Dick Axelsson; The playoffs in SEL have started, Färjestad is the top team, facing 7th-placed Brynäs in the quarterfinals. Axelsson has 0+2 for 2 points in the first two games. Färjestad has won those two 2-0 and 2-1 respectively, and Axelsson has had the primary assist on the GWG in both of those games. And both of the assists were really nice individual efforts from him aswell. He's done really well, and it seems he's clutch :).