• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
j.hoop

Ozzie & Conklin

Rate this topic

No, not an even split. Somewhere around 50 for Ozzie, 30 for Conklin seems about right to me. We need Ozzie to be fresh for the playoffs, but he also deserves to play the majority of the games as the starter. The defense will get much better than it has been in five games, and Ozzie's numbers will likewise.

id say yes, with j-ho tallying ten games. id love to see another two wings on the jennings this year.

ps. does anyone think we will see larsson this year?

Howard will see a handfull of games, with Larsson likely not seeing NHL time unless he continues to really impress in the AHL. Then he might get a shot at a game in Detroit to give the brass a look at his ability to play with the big boys. He's definitely raising eyebrows with his play in the AHL, prospect tournie and camp.

Play 4 Forwards and have 2 goalies in net.

Brilliant! :D

Why not get an NHL career backup out there as a pro shot-blocker? I wonder how many goalies convert to skaters late in their career... Goalies are usually extremely good skaters, so that's not an issue.

Id say a 35-47 split would be the best for all concerned, it keeps Conklin ready incase he needs to pull an Ozzy in the playoffs and Ozzy gets enough games to be our '#1'.

Play 4 Forwards and have 2 goalies in net.

Hell, if we're going to think outside the box, let's think big. Let the goalies use handguns. :P

In all seriousness, unless Osgood's play falls in the s**tter which I'm not counting on, no need to change much. Osgood gets 2-3 games, Conklin comes in. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

I think the 2 games for Oz, 1 for Conk is good and fair right now considering Ozzie hasn't been exactly stellar. When the D gets its act together and Osgood gets confident in that and a bit more steady on his game again, he'll be as good or better than he was last year. I don't think this is the same situation as last year when we had two proven All Star, Stanley Cup winning starters though. Osgood is far more akin to Hasek than Conklin is to Osgood if you follow.

Conklin's more akin to 'Manny Legace' in the past situationally speaking at least. Legace gets by alright enough in the regular season but he's a good backup at best when it all shakes down and a playoff choke artist. Conklin's a backup who hasn't exactly been consistent but when on, has played well. But again, it's been inconsistent. Coming off an All Star year and 2nd Cup as a starter, Babcock or anyone would be a fool to mess with Osgood's head to give Conklin a shot unless Osgood plays terrible.

But until Osgood plays consistently great again, 2 1 2 1 2 1 it is in my mind especially through the first half.

This has always pissed me off about the Wings / Babcock. He is going to start Conklin against the Blues, where Ozzie once played and would be in net against Legace, when the next 2 games are back to back. Play Conklin in one of those games!

Maybe Ozzie has requested to not play against the Blues. Who knows?

It's probably just following the usual rotation... Ozzie played a couple, it's Conklin's turn now.

This could just be me, but it makes me feel good knowing that we've got Conklin to back up Ozzie this year... like if something were to happen in the playoffs where Ozzie started to lapse, it's comforting to know that we have a solid back-up to step in that can still make the big saves.

Unfortunately, I couldn't say the same if Hasek were still here...

Babcock is going to create competition in net just like he creates competition for ice time. For that reason it's going to be 60-40 in Ozzies favor.. for now. If Ozzie has a few bad games we'll see Conks playing back to back nights.

Guest MrSandMan

This Conklin kid is amazing.

Ozzie better be on his game, because we have an adequate #1 in Conklin. I was going to make a thread about the kid in his first debut game in red and white, without his stellar performance in that game, we could have easily lost.

Maybe Babs should split games between Ozzie / Conklin and let their performance decide who's #1. :D

Edited by MrSandMan

Ozzie better be on his game, because we have an adequate #1 in Conklin. I was going to make a thread about the kid in his first debut game in red and white, without his stellar performance in that game, we could have easily lost.

Maybe Babs should split games between Ozzie / Conklin and let their performance decide who's #1. :D

"This kid" is 32 years old. :P

Conklin did a great job for the Pens last year and is keeping it up here, it looks like. I don't know about #1 though. He could either be a potential starter or a Manny Legace in the making.

Guest MrSandMan
"This kid" is 32 years old. :P

Conklin did a great job for the Pens last year and is keeping it up here, it looks like. I don't know about #1 though. He could either be a potential starter or a Manny Legace in the making.

He's a "kid" compared to what we're used to *cough**Hasek**cough*.

He's a nice motivator to keep Ozzie on his toes and bring his "A" game. You remember how well Oz did last year competing with Hasek.

Conklin is a nice guy and had a great run last year in Pittsburgh when he practically saved their season when Fleury was out.

But other than that he has never shown any signs of being a undisputed starter.

Not in Edmonton, not in Columbus and not in Buffalo.

Besides that, I do think Ozzie has earned the right by now to be Detroit's #1.