• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pazzloski

Zetterberg as a free agent

Rate this topic

Any ideas as to what zetterberg will likely sign for next year? I've been watching this for a bit now and do you think he could be the first one to make more than Lidstrom? or would he go for a hometown discount. I heard on CBC's sirius program that they think that he could be the first one to make more than the captain on this team, i also heard that Gaborik is looking for something in the range of 10 yrs, 8 million a season. i dont know about you but i would rather have Zetterberg than Gaborik. I'm also sure that theres no way that Gaborik goes for that. I'm sure that it would be in Zetterbergs best interest to sign now before the economy gets any worse ,cause who knows what could happen next year. It also doesn't help that Franzen is up to.

1 million years at 50 cents a year, you heard it here first.
Nice!

I am sure he'll get taken care of and we will all be happy with it.

Well, if it were me I would sign until the age of 45 for the league minimum...but that might be because it's still way more than I make now and I know I would live quite comfortably on that kind of money.

I'd be happy with Hank at anything under 8.5m per year...I expect him to sign for between 7 and 8.

The one thing you may want to put into account for zetterbergs contract is his all though hes an amazing player... he just hasnt really played a full season because of his injury... That might play a minor factor in his contract... I dont see him making too much more then Datsyuk to be honest.... due to the fact he hasnt put up more points then datsyuk in a season and I still feel datsyuk is a better defensive player... it would be unfair to pay Zetterberg a million or so more then Datsyuk...

The one thing you may want to put into account for zetterbergs contract is his all though hes an amazing player... he just hasnt really played a full season because of his injury... That might play a minor factor in his contract... I dont see him making too much more then Datsyuk to be honest.... due to the fact he hasnt put up more points then datsyuk in a season and I still feel datsyuk is a better defensive player... it would be unfair to pay Zetterberg a million or so more then Datsyuk...

I agree his injury history should be taken into consideration, which I'm sure it will to a small degree, but contracts arent about fairness between comparable teammates. If things were fair then Zetterberg wouldn't be making 4 million less than Datsyuk.

And I'm curious to know why its Zetterberg out there killing 5 on 3s as opposed to Datsyuk..

Edited by YoungGuns1340

I agree his injury history should be taken into consideration, which I'm sure it will to a small degree, but contracts arent about fairness between comparable teammates. If things were fair then Zetterberg wouldn't be making 4 million less than Datsyuk.

And I'm curious to know why its Zetterberg out there killing 5 on 3s as opposed to Datsyuk..

Because postionally Zetterberg is much better than dats, dats is better in 5v4 and 5v5 when play is more mobile and he can get between passes.

I'm gunna say lower, like 7 flat. I think Holland will keep him much closer to Datsyuk's 6.7. Its pretty hard to try to argue that Z should make much more than Dats if anything at all. That Datsyuk contract will go a long way to keeping Z's salary smaller.

7-8m for 5-7 years is realistic for Zetterberg.

Gaborik will never be signed long term a team would have to be crazy. He might get his 8m a year contract but no more than a 1-3 years because of his dependability. He is a great player but lets face it hes been around for about 5 years or so and hes only played more than 65 games once. I figure his groin problems can only get worse as he ages. I would love to see Gab get healthy though hes one of my favorite players. Hes just explosive with speed.

If Hank stays with Detroit, I guarantee it will be for a deal that other GM's would KILL for.

That said, it's going to be a good sized hit towards the cap, no doubt. He's been underpaid for each year he's been on this contract, and was VASTLY underpaid last year (and most likely this year as well, if his play continues to improve at both ends of the ice).

Kenny will want to lock him up long term, so something that is comparable to Datsyuk's deal in terms of length, but I'd wager he makes more per year (or cap hit, if his salary escalates during the deal) than Pavs. My guess echoes what's already been said in this thread. Something in the range of 7-8 mil for at least 5 years, probably closer to 7 or 8. And it wouldn't surprise me to see his salary go up after Lids' current contract expires.

And that's STILL a steal over what he would command on the open market, Hockey-Gods forbid...

Because postionally Zetterberg is much better than dats, dats is better in 5v4 and 5v5 when play is more mobile and he can get between passes.

Any form of PK (beit 5-on-4 or 5-on-3) Z is still better than Dats. His positional play (while a crucial part of the two massive 5-on-3's he helped kill against Pittsburgh) were just a portion of that kill. The play he made on Crosby to keep the puck out in Game 4 was pivotal in that series.

TBH, Dats (while still incredible on defense) is not better than Z no matter what the strength (ES, PP, PK).

7-7.25 would be my bet .. another thing that is bothering me is if Lidstrom doesnt retire at age 40 and comes back for 1-2 years what is his salary goin to look like? i cant imagine him getting anything more than 8 million at that age but idk he hasnt lost a significent step yet

I still think they'll get him signed between 7.5-8.5 mil per year for 4-5 years, but the more time that passes, the more I become concerned that the process isn't going the way Holland planned for, and something might go wrong. IIRC, Holland was adament about sitting down with Z's agent right at July 1st last summer and trying to work something out long term. Then Hossa came into the picture, and now its not the guarantee I thought it would be. Not saying they would keep Hossa over Z by any stretch, but unless they are keeping talks real quiet that are going on now, a new deal doesn't sound imminent.

That said, Kenny's god, he'll get it done at a price we'll probably all drool at...

Edited by IUWingsFan

... it would be unfair to pay Zetterberg a million or so more then Datsyuk

how so? zetterberg is a far better player now than datsyuk was when he signed his current contract.

and if datsyuk were a free agent next summer then he would be asking for considerably more than 6.7m per year.

how so? zetterberg is a far better player now than datsyuk was when he signed his current contract.

and if datsyuk were a free agent next summer then he would be asking for considerably more than 6.7m per year.

Both Z and D are far better players than D was when he signed his deal, remember this board thought it was overpayment for him, now it is a steal. The difference being Z will get a contract that meets his current skill, where as Dats was a this is what they think he could be. Z is worth 9 mil, Dats was worth 4-5 mil when he signed the deal.

Timing is everything!