• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jack T Adams

10/22 GDT: Red Wings 4, Blues 3

Rate this topic

The Blues look to extend their lead in the Central Division tonight.

Conklin in for Detroit, Zetterberg doubtful.

Stempniak and Berglund expected to return to the lineup for St. Louis.

Preview:

The Detroit Red Wings have won the Central Division title seven consecutive times, but the defending Stanley Cup champions find themselves in a position they're unaccustomed to.

Looking to extend their surprising lead in the Central, the St. Louis Blues welcome Detroit to the Scottrade Center on Wednesday night.

The Blues (4-1-0) have finished last in the division in two of the last three seasons, but own a one-point lead over the Red Wings coming into this contest.

St. Louis rallied for a 4-3 shootout victory on Saturday over Chicago. The Blues trailed by two with 17 minutes remaining, but Keith Tkachuk got his sixth goal of the season and Andy McDonald scored his first goal of the season with 13.9 seconds left to tie the game.

In the shootout, rookie T.J. Oshie tallied the game-winner.

"We just stuck to it," said McDonald, who scored his first goal of the season. "We had a lot of guys creating offense. We had a lot of chances. It's just a matter of time for the puck to find its way in."

Tkachuk extended his goal-scoring streak to five games. With his team-high eighth assist, Paul Kariya now has points in all five games this season.

Manny Legace also improved to 4-0-0 by stopping 23 shots and allowing just one goal in the Blackhawks' four shootout attempts. Legace has won five straight games for the first time since the 2005-06 season when he had eight consecutive victories while playing for the Red Wings.

"I give a lot of credit to the boys." Legace said. "They never gave up."

Detroit (3-1-1) also rallied in the third period in its last game and earned its first home win of the season, 5-4 in overtime over the New York Rangers on Saturday. Marian Hossa, signed away from Cup runner-up Pittsburgh in the off-season, scored his first goal for his new team and the 300th of his NHL career 23 seconds into the extra period.

"I knew I was getting chances. I tried to stay calm on the ice, and off, too. there was no panic," said Hossa, who also had an assist. "I knew the goals would come, and tonight I got the first one. Hopefully, now we can roll."

Tomas Holmstrom also scored in his third straight game by recording his fifth goal of the season, and Mikael Samuelsson added his first goal and two assists. Chris Osgood improved to 2-1-1 by stopping 28 shots.

The two teams are among the league's best on special teams. Red Wings have scored a power-play goal in three straight games, and they have killed off 13 consecutive penalties. Detroit has scored six times in 22 power-play opportunities and killed off 15 of 17 penalties.

The Blues have allowed opponents to score two power-play goals in 20 chances, and, despite getting shut out Saturday for the first time this season on the power play, St. Louis has converted on nine of its 22 chances.

Conn Smythe trophy winner Henrik Zetterberg could return to Detroit's lineup after sitting out the last two games with a strained groin. Last season, Zetterberg led the Red Wings with 43 goals and 92 points. He had a goal and an assist in the team's first three games.

The Red Wings beat the Blues 4-3-1 in last season's series.

Edited by Jack T Adams

That preview is dumb.

It is beyond dumb. The entire thing is written on the premise that the Wings are not in first in the standings (1 point behind) and this is after 5 games.

Not only that all of the teams that the blues have played have records of .500 or less (points eaned/point available)

Nashville .500

Toronto .416

Dallas .416

Chicago .500

Islanders .400

I hate it when people try to make an argument that has no basis in fact.

This is equivalent to saying that Homer is on pace to score 82 goals while Hossa is only on pace to score 16.4 goals and therefore Homer will win the Rocket Richard trophy while Hossa will be a wash out.

You have to actually use common sense when making arguments.

It is beyond dumb. The entire thing is written on the premise that the Wings are not in first in the standings (1 point behind) and this is after 5 games.

Not only that all of the teams that the blues have played have records of .500 or less (points eaned/point available)

Nashville .500

Toronto .416

Dallas .416

Chicago .500

Islanders .400

I hate it when people try to make an argument that has no basis in fact.

This is equivalent to saying that Homer is on pace to score 82 goals while Hossa is only on pace to score 16.4 goals and therefore Homer will win the Rocket Richard trophy while Hossa will be a wash out.

You have to actually use common sense when making arguments.

OMG THE WINGS ARE GONNA BE A 5th SEED!>!>?!??@$#?#%@? :puke: :censored::veryangry:

Everything went well for Henrik Zetterberg at the morning skate, so he'll play tonight against St. Louis. Here are the Detroit line combinations ...

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Hossa

Franzen-Zetterberg-Samuelsson

Hudler-Filppula-Cleary

Kopecky-Draper-Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lebda-Meech

Conklin (starts)

Osgood

Look for the defense pairings to shuffle as the game goes on, as they did against the Rangers. Lidstrom and Rafalski will likely stay together whenever the McDonald line is out, but could split at other times.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to tune in to this one, because somehow I won front row tickets to a Lenny Kravitz show and a meet-and-greet with him afterwards. The best part is, I don't consider myself anything close to a fan of his, but free is free, so I'm not complaining.

As for the game, as usual I'll predict a Red Wings victory.

Wings take this one 5-2 on goals from Hossa, Zetterberg, Cleary, Samuelsson, and Hudler.

Everything went well for Henrik Zetterberg at the morning skate, so he'll play tonight against St. Louis. Here are the Detroit line combinations ...

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Hossa

Franzen-Zetterberg-Samuelsson

Hudler-Filppula-Cleary

Kopecky-Draper-Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lebda-Meech

Conklin (starts)

Osgood

Look for the defense pairings to shuffle as the game goes on, as they did against the Rangers. Lidstrom and Rafalski will likely stay together whenever the McDonald line is out, but could split at other times.

f*** Samuelsson on the 2nd line.

Sorry, had to say it.

When's Cleary gonna have his shot on the second line? I was excited when I heard he might be rounding out that line. Oh well...

I guess I'll be the first to admit that, although at times I'm not his biggest fan, I hope Sammy does well... I'm actually kind of proud of him. He's been playing alot better and has been chipping in offensively.

No complaints here. :thumbup: (Besides the fact that Helm should be playing right now!) :hehe:

Wings aren't "there" yet. Will lose 4- 2 :( Hope I am wrong but I wont be. Hossa and Datsyuk not good and Zetterberg will rusty.

You heard it hear first. :D

I have a feeling you're right. I'm not saying we are going to lose, but I highly doubt it'll be a 4-1 win. Probably like 3-2 one way or another or something.