• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redhot

St Louis reaction to Palin dropping puck this Friday

Rate this topic

Counting down until this has to get moved to the political forum...

It's one thing to have an acting political official drop the puck for some event, but generally the NHL shouldn't let either side use its games as a photo op on the campaign trail.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

It's one thing to have an acting political official drop the puck for some event, but generally the NHL shouldn't let either side use its games as a photo op on the campaign trail.

Its all about ratings numbers for both NHL and GOP. Look at SNLs ratings.

I'm voting for McCain and Palin, but even I think it's a bad idea. Sports and politics should only mix as a result of a Championship recognition ceremony. Plus, how does it help to have sports fans booing you because they don't want politics mixing in with the game? THat doesn't scream of a great photo op.

I'm voting for McCain and Palin, but even I think it's a bad idea. Sports and politics should only mix as a result of a Championship recognition ceremony. Plus, how does it help to have sports fans booing you because they don't want politics mixing in with the game? THat doesn't scream of a great photo op.

Agreed. I'm not voting for McCain/Palin, but I'd be equally disgusted if Obama or Biden were there dropping the puck.

I'd like to keep at least something in my life of all this political b.s. :P

Agreed. I'm not voting for McCain/Palin, but I'd be equally disgusted if Obama or Biden were there dropping the puck.

I'd like to keep at least something in my life of all this political b.s. :P

I withheld comment before thinking about it...

My first thought was that Palin is indeed a hockey mom, let her drop the puck. But after reading your post, I realized that even if Obama or Biden were hockey dads, it would disgust me if one of them dropped the puck.

So, yeah, it shouldn't happen during a campaign. But I do stand by my first post; It will bring good ratings numbers for the NHL as well as the GOP.

is that her hugely expensive jacket she bought for the GOP conference that the fox2 news peeps were commenting on last night?

Are you trying to give me more reason to kick your ass in rod hockey? :ranting:

I want need to see the face that goes with your avatar.

Ok ok here it is.....

rt_redneck3_070709_ssh.jpg

I know its a work in progress... but the face is next to be fixed up :P

I really don't see what the problem with it is...

I think it is good for McCain/Palin. She was offered an opportunity and she took it.

How about the 30 minute spot Obama has lined up that will DELAY the World Series start time... Any one have any problems with that???

I really don't see what the problem with it is...

I think it is good for McCain/Palin. She was offered an opportunity and she took it.

How about the 30 minute spot Obama has lined up that will DELAY the World Series start time... Any one have any problems with that???

Like I said in my post, it'd be nice to keep this campaign crap out of some corner of my life, particularly something I watch for entertainment.

If I cared about the World series, I guess I'd be annoyed. But it's not the same as if he were throwing out the first pitch. Then I'd be REALLY annoyed.

Though doesn't it delay the start something like a whopping 8 minutes? It practically takes longer than that for players to get out of the dugout and trot to the outfield.

waste of time. keep the politics off the ice! i don't care who it is, what their politics are, keep it off the ice!

It's not like she's speaking or anything...

I think everyone on here is taking this way too seriously. Get over it.

And haroldsnepsts, Obama is getting a prime-time spot that will put one biggest sporting events in the world on hold. He will get to say everything he wants to within that time slot. Palin is dropping a puck and not saying a word. I think there is a big difference there, but I guess that's just me. For both occasions don't watch it if it annoys you so much.

Edited by RedStormRising

Like most others I'm assuming, I'm ready to get these damn elections over with.

However I guess I'm failing to see the connection of why this specific P.R. opportunity is so bad. It's just a ceremonial puck drop. Takes all but 3 minutes like any other ceremonial puck drop whether it is by a political figure or a past athlete or whomever. I highly doubt she's going to be out there to give a 20 minute speech on views or yell vote my party or you're an idiot.

It's not like she's speaking or anything...

I think everyone on here is taking this way too seriously. Get over it.

And haroldsnepsts, Obama is getting a prime-time spot that will put one biggest sporting events in the world on hold. He will get to say everything he wants to within that time slot. Palin is dropping a puck and not saying a word. I think there is a big difference there, but I guess that's just me. For both occasions don't watch it if it annoys you so much.

Obama bought airtime so of course he gets to say everything he wants to, it's just that it happens to conflict with Fox's coverage of the World Series.

Not the same as Sarah Palin being invited to drop the puck.

There is a big difference there.

I won't watch either. I just prefer politicians don't use sporting events as photo ops, and that the leagues, particularly the NHL, don't invite them.

I just prefer politicians don't use sporting events as photo ops, and that the leagues, particularly the NHL, don't invite them.

Buying airtime does not make a difference. Obama is "using" the World Series as an opportunity to give a politcal speech. That is your whole reasoning against Palin because she is "using" a sporting event to benefit herself and McCain.

Palin is dropping a puck in a pointless game. But if she paid to get the opportunity to do it, then it would be acceptable?

There is not a big difference there, according to your reasoning.

Both are using sports to promote their party and candidacy and is a smart thing to do. Both can and should use every opportunity that they can and both are right by doing so. Politics are involved in everything, including sports. Everyone should be used to it by now. It isn't going to ruin your life and it will happen again. Life goes on. I guess we'll agree to disagree. :thumbup:

Edited by RedStormRising