• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Something I've noticed..

Rate this topic

So at school today I went on here and Red Wings website and looked at there schedule. Here is something I notice, all our games have been a win or loss by one goal but one game. I was thinking it could be that our players aren't putting the puck in the net, or our goalie is not doing very well right now. Anyone else notice this, and will this may become a problem down the road?

Guest mindfly

It will be like this all year, we're the champs and the teams that play against us skates for their life and its more like playoff hockey to be honest.

While it's true that every game we've played so far has been close, I attribute that mostly with our defensive breakdowns.

Our goaltending has been pretty solid, and the goals we've allowed have been because of defensive breakdowns and bad decisions.

Also, I don't think our scoring is the problem... our offense has been stringing together some good plays and are finally looking like they're gaining their form back.

There's nobody to blame individually, it's our entire defensive core AND our forwards coming back to help out.

Last night would/COULD have been a 4-1 game had Kronwall not taken some bad penalties and Lidstrom wouldn't have given up a turnover or two.

While it's true that every game we've played so far has been close, I attribute that mostly with our defensive breakdowns.

Our goaltending has been pretty solid, and the goals we've allowed have been because of defensive breakdowns and bad decisions.

Also, I don't think our scoring is the problem... our offense has been stringing together some good plays and are finally looking like they're gaining their form back.

There's nobody to blame individually, it's our entire defensive core AND our forwards coming back to help out.

Last night would/COULD have been a 4-1 game had Kronwall not taken some bad penalties and Lidstrom wouldn't have given up a turnover or two.

So from this post I am guessing it was because of bad penalties were taking and the defense?

I didn't watch the game last night so I honestly don't know if the calls were bad or what happen. I have only been able to see 2 games the whole season. Been very busy with school and hockey.

If you watch every game like I do, you'll notice a pattern in these first 6 games... It's called lack of defensive coverage and defensive lapses kiddies. We have not been anywhere near our potential on defense this year so far. It's early though, so I'm not all that concerned, we'll get it together.

But my above listed reason, is the reason why we have won by 1 goal and have given up leads and such.

i think the goalies have been pretty good, I mean the two games Conklin has won, he's made game-winning saves. I just think the D is getting a little lazy (I mentioned in a previous post about one goal last week where Lilja stood in one place for about 12 seconds.... no lie)

Guest mindfly

Is it McCrimmon that handle the Defense? Maybe that's why it's so bad... Mclellan we miss you :(

For all intents and purposes, it was a 4-2 game. The last goal looked like something from a pinball machine. Off of a St. Louis player, off of Rafalski and into the net.

We played a very good game. A couple of mistakes cost us goals but the Wings last night looked like the Wings from last year. Also the chemistry between Dats and Hossa is really starting to show.

I saw lots of positive things last night. Most hockey games are 1 goal games so I'm not worried about that. We will get a few blow-outs but they will be the exception not the rule.

Is it McCrimmon that handle the Defense? Maybe that's why it's so bad... Mclellan we miss you :(

It's all relative. It isn't that bad, we are just spoiled. Right now the Wingsa are 15th in GAA.

Just be glad that you aren't a Philly or a Dallas fan. Both teams are supposed to be good and right now they are 29th and 30th in GAA.

So from this post I am guessing it was because of bad penalties were taking and the defense?

I didn't watch the game last night so I honestly don't know if the calls were bad or what happen. I have only been able to see 2 games the whole season. Been very busy with school and hockey.

Its been pretty well the same thing for the first few games:

1. Defensive lapses.... too many uncharacteristic turnovers!

2. Too much fancy puck play and not enough good hard quality shots on net.

3. Bad untimely penalties (they always hurt).

4. Some bad bounces as well.

Goaltending as been pretty good. Ozzie had some rough games... Conklin has been great!

All in all... nothing to worry about everything will be back to form after a few more games. Like Mickey Redmond said "Good teams find a way to win even when they aren't playing their best!" and we are. We will sharpen up as we go!

We could use a little 5 on 5 offensive support from the 3rd and 4th lines too...

We have a 4th line? I have yet to see it this year! Maybe they are experiementing with the invisible 4th line.

All kidding aside, we definately need more production for everyone except Holmer and Franzen. We only have 4 players currently with more the 1 goal. Worse yet we have 10 player who have yet to tally and 7 players who are in the minus. The whole team needs to tighten their game, keep it simple if you will, to get on track.

we just haven't woken up from our slumber yet... points are fine anyway you can get them. If we are still playing like this in february when we should be firing on all cylinders than we might have something to worry about. Right now its just the beginning of a long, really long, 82 game warmup act.

Dont lay all the blame at the feet of the defense, the forwards are more to blame than they are. When the puck goes deep in our zone the forwards are not supporting their defensemen. They are out of position and dont move thier feet. When we do regain possession, the first pass out has been sloppy, and again, that is mostly the forwards. They arent moving with any speed and are easily covered. Im not sure if panic is the word but trepidation easily fits what I see. They need to keep moving thier feet. Were being outskated and outhustled with regularity.

They do look like they are coming around though. Last night in the second they played thier best all around hockey of the season. I was disappointed when they started the third so poorly but each game sees improvement over the last.

i think the goalies have been pretty good, I mean the two games Conklin has won, he's made game-winning saves. I just think the D is getting a little lazy (I mentioned in a previous post about one goal last week where Lilja stood in one place for about 12 seconds.... no lie)

Maybe because his appendix was acting up? :yowza: I believe an appendix-less Lilya will return to ice with the speed that will shock everyone. :wub:

All kidding aside, I think one reason is the Wings have been playing Eastern Conference teams mostly (5 out of 6) and they are not used to them. Last year the scores have been close when the Wings played a good Eastern Conference team. They also started the season with mostly one-goal games.

Yup. That pretty much sums it up. Although IMO, Lilja is the only Dman who is doing whats asked of him - hes playing like a bottom pair Dman. Lebda, on the other hand, is playing like a 5th option call-up, while Kronwall and Stuart look like 5th Dmen, and Lids and Raffi look like 2nd Dmen on an average team.

we've been sloppy the first few games. last night was the first time that (for parts of the game at least) the wings really showed some of their old looks. there was some good puck possesion at times but these def turnovers gotta stop. conklin made a few absolutely amazing saves last night and the third goal was a bad bounce (thats hockey). I cannot stand getting beat by guys coming out of the penalty box (2nd goal last night) though. That seems to happen to the wings a lot over the past few seasons. THey'll get better as they continue to gel. hossa and dats made some sweet passes last night.

it flours me how all the time people complain about how were playing. Do you expect everything to be perfect? Seriously what do you want from them, to score 5000 goals or something in one game? Its not like you can win them all and I think we are doing a very good job, every game will have ups and downs you know hockey is a very difficult sport to play in my opinion the most difficult. Its easy to just say what their doing wrong but another thing to actually do it, do you guys play in the NHL? no because its too hard only the best of the best get in. Did you forget that we just won the Stanley Cup?Okay now my rant is over.

Guest Four
it flours me how all the time people complain about how were playing. Do you expect everything to be perfect? Seriously what do you want from them, to score 5000 goals or something in one game? Its not like you can win them all and I think we are doing a very good job, every game will have ups and downs you know hockey is a very difficult sport to play in my opinion the most difficult. Its easy to just say what their doing wrong but another thing to actually do it, do you guys play in the NHL? no because its too hard only the best of the best get in. Did you forget that we just won the Stanley Cup?Okay now my rant is over.

A lot of us are still in NHL 08 - NHL 09 summertime gaming mode and expect unreachable numbers

Mclenen(sp.) handled the forwards last year. McLean handeled the defense. McLean now handels the forwards, and Mcrimmon handels the defense.