• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Quincey > Meech/Lebda

Rate this topic

Sure he wasnt impressive in Detroit but this season he has played very well so far. But, honestly i think moving to the Kings was good thing for him and now he can play without worrying about roster spot. In detroit he wouldnt play that good.

So, trading him was the right move imo.

If anyone watched the game and saw the goal you'd see it's hardly anything to be excited about. It was the definition of a lucky goal. He just flipped it in from the blueline after a faceoff and it got through two Blues and somehow Manny didn't get it. It was horrifically soft. It wasn't a slapshot. It wasn't one-timer. It was just an arsy goal.

Having put it into context, it's still good to see him getting time and doing something in L.A. All the best to him.

You guys are arguing who is the better 6th or 7th defensemen. None of them should be anything more than that. I am less than impressed by Meech. He looks out of place and has trouble handling the puck and making the breakout pass. Bring up Ericsson and pair him with Lilja and trade or waive either Meech or Lebda.

Still id have to say in the last couple games Meech has been unimpressive at best, and as far as i see it hes just a place holder for Ericcson or Kindl. I mean hes not quick, his puck handling has been laughable the last 2 games, and he pretty much was why the 3rd goal was scored last night.

Edited by Shaman464

Still id have to say in the last couple games Meech has been unimpressive at best, and as far as i see it hes just a place holder for Ericcson or Kindl. I mean hes not quick, his puck handling has been laughable the last 2 games, and he pretty much was why the 3rd goal was scored last night.

i agree with you. last season meech did pretty well, after last night i just thought he was very sloppy and falling all over the place as if he couldn't skate.

So Quincey scored a goal - something that is probably only going to happen once in a blue moon with his weak shot - and so that makes him better? Spare me. Quincey had his chance with the Wings. He lost it. The fact that he lost it to guys like Lebda and Meech is not a mistake on the Wings part, but Quinceys own.

If Quincey were in the lineup tonight, we'd be bitching about him just as much as the other two.

Honestly, Quincey never had a chance to stick with Detroit... 99% of the people on here who say he stinks, either go by one or two plays in a preseason game, or they just base their opinions on what others within this site have to say... Quincey did nothing to embarass himself nor the Wings with his performance during the playoffs 2 seasons ago, when Kronwall and Schneider went down with injuries, the kid was praised by both Ken Holland, and Babcock. His performance in LA is not surprising, he is finally getting a chance and by the numbers 1 goal and 1 assist, and playing well over 20 minutes per night so far, seems to be a good start for the guy... I would prefer Meech in on a daily basis over Lebda , but we wont get that, I guess Lebda has compromising pics of someone in the front office or something...

Honestly, Quincey never had a chance to stick with Detroit... 99% of the people on here who say he stinks, either go by one or two plays in a preseason game, or they just base their opinions on what others within this site have to say... Quincey did nothing to embarass himself nor the Wings with his performance during the playoffs 2 seasons ago, when Kronwall and Schneider went down with injuries, the kid was praised by both Ken Holland, and Babcock. His performance in LA is not surprising, he is finally getting a chance and by the numbers 1 goal and 1 assist, and playing well over 20 minutes per night so far, seems to be a good start for the guy... I would prefer Meech in on a daily basis over Lebda , but we wont get that, I guess Lebda has compromising pics of someone in the front office or something...

No. That's flat out wrong. Most people knew about or had read about Quincey's failure to impress last season in GR, his failure to impress during the February injury plague (he was the first person sent back down to GR), his failure to impress in camp, AND his failure to impress in the preseason.

Dude it doesn't matter- Quincey is being given the top minutes per night of the entire LA team. He's being given a huge opportunity and lots of opportunity. Let everything settle down and see where he stands. Right now he's playing like Calder did when he appeared at the trade deadline in 06-07.

Lebda is a better asset than Quincey. The Wings had to waive Q, that means they couldn't even find someone to take him for a frickin' low, low, low end draft pick.

Next year Ericsson is up and this whole argument is moot. :P

Dude it doesn't matter- Quincey is being given the top minutes per night of the entire LA team. He's being given a huge opportunity and lots of opportunity. Let everything settle down and see where he stands. Right now he's playing like Calder did when he appeared at the trade deadline in 06-07.

Lebda is a better asset than Quincey. The Wings had to waive Q, that means they couldn't even find someone to take him for a frickin' low, low, low end draft pick.

At this rate, Lebda would probably clear waivers.

Disagree, especially with Meech and Pyett in our system.

At this rate, Lebda would probably clear waivers.

Sad but probably true!

Quincey sure played emotionally charged in this game.... understandably so. Stuart on the otherhand looked awefully pedestrian.

Stuart? He was GREAT tonight.

Disagree, especially with Meech and Pyett in our system.

? Pyett is too far down the road to enter in the equation- Quincey only had a chance to be a stop-gap here. There are far too many D-men ahead of him in the depth charts, and the big one, the one who won't be relegated to sub top 3 pairing minutes- Ericsson, is out of minor league options at the end of this season.

Like it or not- Quincey is not a high end stay at home d-man. He's a low end one. Lilja is better than him. Hell, Lilja had an NHL hat-trick! He's an offensive juggernaught (or at least he was for 2 hours of his NHL career). Plus Lilja is a top tier enforcer. No player under 5'7 would EVER step up on Lillypads! :D

Meech and Lebda are more valuable individual assets than Quincey. Guys like Quincey can be had for pretty cheap in the NHL. It sucks because he's a great young kid who could become a good defenseman, but where were the minutes going to come from in Detroit? In the end, they had to protect their assets while staying under the cap and sticking to the roster limits. Sadly, Quincey had to go.

A good game tonight, or a good game last week won't change the fact that Q's move was best for the team as a whole.

I honestly wish him the best of luck and I'm really happy he's getting so much playing time in LA. He deserves the shot at the big show.

Honestly I would rather Quincey over both these clones of one another. Lebda's meant to be quick and be able generate scoring chances while Meech is meant to be skillful and also handy on the offensive end.

Quincey is meant to be a defensive defenceman and yet he has more points than Lebda and Meech combined and not to mention he's far better defensively.

Poor decision by Detroit. I guess pre-season doesn't mean much eh guys? :rolleyes: Hopefully some people realise this now.

Most of the opinions on this site are based on what they read someone else post, rather than actually watch someone play without the red glasses on. Most of the opinions on Quincey were from what someone read on here, and based on a couple of bad plays in a preseason game.. Its not just Quincey that gets the opinions like described above, but there are many here who think Holland does no wrong (most of his decisions are for the best, but this one he may have dropped the ball).... I also dont agree with the reluctance to work in some of the younger players

like Ericsson or Leino, because of this allegiance to washed up McCarty or telling Chelios its time to go. Leino would be playing on most NHL teams, along with Ericsson....

? Pyett is too far down the road to enter in the equation- Quincey only had a chance to be a stop-gap here. There are far too many D-men ahead of him in the depth charts, and the big one, the one who won't be relegated to sub top 3 pairing minutes- Ericsson, is out of minor league options at the end of this season.

Like it or not- Quincey is not a high end stay at home d-man. He's a low end one. Lilja is better than him. Hell, Lilja had an NHL hat-trick! He's an offensive juggernaught (or at least he was for 2 hours of his NHL career). Plus Lilja is a top tier enforcer. No player under 5'7 would EVER step up on Lillypads! :D

Meech and Lebda are more valuable individual assets than Quincey. Guys like Quincey can be had for pretty cheap in the NHL. It sucks because he's a great young kid who could become a good defenseman, but where were the minutes going to come from in Detroit? In the end, they had to protect their assets while staying under the cap and sticking to the roster limits. Sadly, Quincey had to go.

A good game tonight, or a good game last week won't change the fact that Q's move was best for the team as a whole.

I honestly wish him the best of luck and I'm really happy he's getting so much playing time in LA. He deserves the shot at the big show.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how Lebda is a better asset than Quincey. Lebda can skate, but he's never asserted himself offensively or defensively. He's not physical, he loses too many one on one battles and corner battles. He can't play special teams. Umm... so how is he an asset?

I'm not going to comment on Meech, because we haven't seen enough of him yet. And I think it's way too soon to call Quincey a low-end stay at home defenseman. He's off to a good start, plus he played well in his playoff callup. I don't think he'll keep playing at this high level, but I don't think he'll hit a low level either.

If an NHL team is going to give him those kind of minutes AND Quincey is using them this productively, how can you downgrade what he's done over what Lebda has? Quincey has potential...no not Adam Foote, Matthias Norstrom potential, but he can be a solid #4 if paired with a mobile #3. Lebda can skate, but he doesn't have the other tools that our other prospects have. Why keep Lebda in the way of them?

Edited by CloudConnected

Guest E_S_A_D

Great thread.

Holland is an excellent GM in recent years, no doubt. However, the loss of Quincey with no trade and the keeping of the likes of Lebda / Meech is ridiculous.

Holland has made it BEYOND clear that he wants euro-style hockey played; not physical stay at home d-men. Even if it means the Joe is 3/4 full.

I for one, along with my family, gave up our season tickets to the Red Wings and proudly support the Griffins (with ticket purchasing)... Downey and the gang are just plain fun to watch.

So Quincey scored a goal - something that is probably only going to happen once in a blue moon with his weak shot - and so that makes him better? Spare me. Quincey had his chance with the Wings. He lost it. The fact that he lost it to guys like Lebda and Meech is not a mistake on the Wings part, but Quinceys own.

If Quincey were in the lineup tonight, we'd be bitching about him just as much as the other two.

This needs to be re-emphasized.

Is Quincey a better defenseman than Meech or Lebda? That's debatable and probably an endless debate right now which I will not waste my time with.

Was Quincey the better defenseman IN THE RED WINGS SYSTEM compared to Meech and Lebda? According to Wings management, no. It is about who is the better defenseman of the people laid out IN THE RED WINGS SYSTEM.

Again it might not be "fair", but Quincey and every else knew the deal that one of them would either be traded or waived given the time period of training camp, pre-season, and early season if the didn't fit into the plans of THE RED WINGS SYSTEM or didn't perform. In the grand scheme of things given the time period, Quincey didn't perform in the eyes of management. Fair? Perhaps not, but life is rarely fair these days.

I emphasize RED WINGS SYSTEM because it is about who is the best fit for the Wings, not who might be the best defenseman overall. While Lebda's play has been bad to watch so far, him and Meech fit into the system better as puck-moving/mobile defenseman.

2probert4, not everybody has the benefit on here of seeing training camp or all the preseason games on TV and sometimes we can only go with what we read online for Detroit's local papers or this forum until the regular season starts. I am one of those people. So you might want to cut some people some slack regarding this.

I like Quincey. I like that he is a stay at home defenseman. I like that he's known as a physical defenseman. I'd grab a few beers with him on a Saturday night. I'd be willing to be BFF's with him. All right maybe not that far, but you get the idea. In the perfect world, I'd like to see him remain on the Red Wings. But life isn't perfect and he didn't fit in the Red Wings plans better than Meech or Lebda. Life isn't peachy king all the time. You deal with it and move on.

Great thread.

Holland is an excellent GM in recent years, no doubt. However, the loss of Quincey with no trade and the keeping of the likes of Lebda / Meech is ridiculous.

Holland has made it BEYOND clear that he wants euro-style hockey played; not physical stay at home d-men. Even if it means the Joe is 3/4 full.

I for one, along with my family, gave up our season tickets to the Red Wings and proudly support the Griffins (with ticket purchasing)... Downey and the gang are just plain fun to watch.

This has nothing to do with "Euro" style hockey first/physical d-men second or putting fans in the stands. It has everything to do with putting the best product possible on the ice for the Red Wings to win.

Great thread.

You're right. That Stanley Cup Championship was no fun at all last season.

Those damn Euros - I hate watching them win all the time. :rolleyes:

Edit: When did Meech and Lebda become European anyways?

Edited by GoWings1905

I think focusing on whether or not Quincey is better/is going to be better than Lebda or Meech isn't something you really can objectively break down. On the other hand, the idea of losing a young promising defenseman to keep a 46 year old in the press box is something to talk about.

It's hard to say whether the loyalty card outweighs the future prospects in this case, but more often than not this is why players like Marian Hossa take a paycut to play for our organization (so obviously I don't have a problem with it).

Edited by DatsyukownzU13

Honestly I would rather Quincey over both these clones of one another. Lebda's meant to be quick and be able generate scoring chances while Meech is meant to be skillful and also handy on the offensive end.

Quincey is meant to be a defensive defenceman and yet he has more points than Lebda and Meech combined and not to mention he’s far better defensively.

Poor decision by Detroit. I guess pre-season doesn't mean much eh guys? :rolleyes: Hopefully some people realise this now.

I liked Quincey and I agree that he'd be a better option then Lebda and IMO Lilja too. I would have liked to see him stay but he has gone from trying to make our roster to a 22 minute per game guy in LA. I think he deserves the shot and the ice time.. he would have never gotten here. Good Luck Quincey and hopefully Good bye Lebda and Lilja!