• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GMRwings1983

The NHL Should Change the Way it Shows its Games

Rate this topic

I was actually watching the replays from the FSN West feed or whatever they have on NHL.com, and I thought it was difficult to watch that much behind the net cam and other weird angles, and I always hated whenever other stations would use those for primary cams because it makes it hard to see the action. Save those fancy angles for the replay, then show me 11 different camera angles at 4 different speeds.

I thought those angles were terrible. I mean, they make for great secondary angles to cut to occasionally, especially on replays. But to watch a whole game that way drove me nuts. Especially the center ice camera. I've never felt so far away from the action while watching a game.

As others have said, you couldn't really see plays develop that well, because you weren't above the action but you weren't on the ice either. It was this low angle that obscured a lot of the plays developing.

To the original poster, I'd be curious to see if you felt the same after watching a whole game from those angles. Because honestly it is good to see highlights that way sometimes. But in terms of following the action for a full 60 minutes, it's awful.

I would actually watch the entire game like that, just for something new.

Many people say they were disjointed throughout the game, but come on, it's not like the camera was pointing at the stands during the action. It could of course use some improvements, but I really think this could work which is why I posted it in the first place.

Many non-hockey fans always complain about how watching the game on TV is totally different than watching it in person, more so than in other sports. Hopefully the league can find a way to change that.

I think all in all everyone is just so used to one static camera, that they're opposed to anything that attempts to change that in an innovative way.

Many people say they were disjointed throughout the game, but come on, it's not like the camera was pointing at the stands during the action. It could of course use some improvements, but I really think this could work which is why I posted it in the first place.

Many non-hockey fans always complain about how watching the game on TV is totally different than watching it in person, more so than in other sports. Hopefully the league can find a way to change that.

I think all in all everyone is just so used to one static camera, that they're opposed to anything that attempts to change that in an innovative way.

That wasn't meant as a jab or anything. I really would be curious to know your opinion after a whole game. Because for me honestly it became really frustrating watching it that way. The action is so far away a lot of the time.

The angles they used do not allow you to see the plays develop very well. The problem is you've got all these players flashing in front of the play and the puck at times gets lost behind clutter. If you're on the ice playing the game its one thing because you're able to view whats going on and focus your vision to where a play is going, but when you're watching the game from home, you're at the mercy of the cameraman and their distance from the play.

Yet another reason I switched to DirectTV. Every game in HD with both home and away feeds.

man i wish i had an HD tv...i would be right with you my friend. i hate time warner

i have to say... i kinda like those angles. it seems that the camera usually can't quite keep up with the play, but those operators will get better. cameras that low to the ice really help show the speed of the game.

not sure if i could watch it for a full game though. every other sport shows games from a standard broadcast angle, might as well not change it. i'm sure bettman will have a lame reason and tell us fans what we want once again.

Sorry, I have nothing against "change" but those angles almost gave me motion sickness, as well as not being able to follow the play.

Maybe I'm just too old to appreciate the "new" technology.

I agree, that game against the Kings was VERY frustrating to try and watch. I kept trying to peer "through" players to try and see what was happening. HNIC has THE BEST cameras and angles for watching a game, unfortunately they broadcast a Leafs game every Saturday night and waste all their good work. I found myself simply listening to the game and waiting for for the replays to see what happened. I've had kids use camcorders at high school hockey games and they've done a better job than last night's Wings/Kings coverage. Somebody needs to get them to put the cameras up a little higher and not zoom in so close so we can actually see what the hell is going on.

Just my opinion, but I think those angles make the game unwatchable. I was watching a Ducks-Coyotes game earlier in the season on Center Ice and couldn't stand it.

Agreed. I watched the Kings/Ducks game on Center Ice with those angles and found it hard to get into the game. Enough changing of the game, leave it alone NHL. Not directed to you GMR, but I hate all the change the game has expierenced.

Wow, I guess you guys have a different opinion than I do.

I just get tired of seeing the same old static camera, and I thought this was kind of cool and innovative. The play is hard to follow sometimes, but I'm not someone who just watches the puck the whole game like some inexperinced fan. It's good sometimes to see the game the way players do.

With a little better tracking, this system could get perfected even more.

Sorry, but I'm not in a game for a camera/directorial performance. I want to see the action, follow the play, and observe what goes on in the game. If I wanted cuts, edits, and up close shakey cam action then I'd go watch a movie about hockey. The camera angles they use may be "cool" at times and in replays, but it's not the best way to watch the overall game.

Edited by al48

My first thought when I was trying to cope with the new angles was "this almost looks like it does from the bench". As the game went on, though, it felt like I was watching the game with tunnel vision. It was hard to watch the plays progress. I also like watching what happens away from the play, and that was impossible to do.

I think it's nice to cut to these angles occasionally, but I prefer the tried and true.

My first thought when I was trying to cope with the new angles was "this almost looks like it does from the bench". As the game went on, though, it felt like I was watching the game with tunnel vision. It was hard to watch the plays progress. I also like watching what happens away from the play, and that was impossible to do.

I think it's nice to cut to these angles occasionally, but I prefer the tried and true.

Yeah, It's really starting to bother me. At first I thought it was kinda cool, similar to being on the ice, but its too close and you can't see play developing as easily.

its always annoyed me during powerplays when they do the behind the net cam but ive never actually had to watch a game like this. i cant tell what the hell is going on, like for instance i didnt see sammy get hit into ozzy because the cam was pointed at pronger. save the extra angles for the replays.

I CANNOT STAND these camera angles on the Ducks broadcast. It is too difficult to see the plays develop and it actually makes the game look like it is slower.

Seconded. It is better than no hockey obviously but the angles were so bad that I couldn't even tell that most of the goals were scored until after the fact from the annoucers' or crowd reaction. I hope these views aren't going to be the norm for future broadcasts within the Fox Sports networks.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I always get disorientated whenever they switch the camera angle in those broadcasts. Your mind has to reprocess information every time the angle switches, it's like the mental version of a car lurching between gear shifts.

At the very least they use angles close to the actual action. That Wings-Blues game a week or so ago had a few occasions where action at one end of the rink was being filmed from an angle at the OPPOSITE END OF THE ICE! What the hell kind of a useless angle is that, it was like watching the game from a corner seat in the upper bowl.

Edited by Cern