• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
diehardredwing19

downey

Rate this topic

Until you beat George Parros in a fight, mind your tongue please.

Look you lemmings, downey is an old hack. You all are acting like he is 23 or something. Him and mac are pretty much the same on the ice. Mac is better off the ice. Stone hands hates downey so he won't be a good center man for him. Downey is a cream puff, so deal. We've got not a rock on the bench to throw.

-toast

Look you lemmings, downey is an old hack. You all are acting like he is 23 or something. Him and mac are pretty much the same on the ice. Mac is better off the ice. Stone hands hates downey so he won't be a good center man for him. Downey is a cream puff, so deal. We've got not a rock on the bench to throw.

-toast

Mac's better off the ice? What does that mean? Are you referring to the locker room? If you are, maybe you should do a little research. Downey was LOVED by his teammates in all of the cities that he's played in and numerous Wings have stated what a positive influence he is in the locker room.

Wanting Downey in is fine, but there's no way Pronger would've fought Downey. I don't think Pronger has fought anyone legit in like 10 years.

Didn't he suckerpunch Barch a couple years ago? Barch is legit.

I agree that having Downey around probably wouldn't deter that giant, smelly ****** from doling out elbows to the Wings.

How many games did Downs play last year?

Personally the only games I want to see an enforcer are when we play teams like the Ducks, Flames, Avs, etc because those are the teams who are normally going to give us a fit when it comes to physical hatred. Otherwise I see him not providing much to the team.

How many games did Downs play last year?

Personally the only games I want to see an enforcer are when we play teams like the Ducks, Flames, Avs, etc because those are the teams who are normally going to give us a fit when it comes to physical hatred. Otherwise I see him not providing much to the team.

That's what we are saying. Look at Montreal, they have Laraque in lineup when they are playing physical teams. BTW don't remember who said on this forum that we are tougher than Habs... :rolleyes:

Bring up Downey and trade Lebda for Lucic and we're good. Problem solved.

Next!

esteef

My hearth just skipped a beat!!

Lucic on this team would make me wet my pants, he is Mule with the fists and fury, I would actually trade Mule straight up for Lucic and even throw the B's a prospect!!

But that is one man's opinion. Oddly enough some one who is considered anti-enforcer because I don't think Downey, Norton or D-mac are viable options for an enforcer on THIS team!

Guest E_S_A_D
It is def time for Downey

After Brown's fight - McCarty should retire!

That was a tough one... McCarty needs a solid showing in a fight. Brown is a middleweight at best, McCarty's very lucky Darcy Hordichuck wasn't the one out to settle the score.

Downey time.

I sat right by the Griffins bench Saturday night and Downey was vocal, chirping at the opponents, and there wasn't a Milwaukee Admiral that wanted ANYTHING to do with Downey. He still has some heat, McCarty unfortunately is proving otherwise.

That was a tough one... McCarty needs a solid showing in a fight. Brown is a middleweight at best, McCarty's very lucky Darcy Hordichuck wasn't the one out to settle the score.

Downey time.

I sat right by the Griffins bench Saturday night and Downey was vocal, chirping at the opponents, and there wasn't a Milwaukee Admiral that wanted ANYTHING to do with Downey. He still has some heat, McCarty unfortunately is proving otherwise.

I went to the Griffins home opener and another game. During the opener this guy kept coming over and yapping at Downey while he was on the bench but as soon as Downey got on the ice he stayed clear of him or headed right to the bench. I love both McCarty and Downey but I feel like Downey would be the better person to have sitting in the press box waiting for the more physical games. I expect McCarty to get another game or two and at that point if he's not doing better they will flip flop him and Downey until Franzen comes back.

I was also in favor of Mac returning last year. It was one of the feel good stories last season. But it's a new season, and I believe every spot should be competed for. Whether were talking a fighter or a more skilled forward. But the problem is Downey can't skate or score for s***. And I am not so sure that replacing McCarty with Downey is the answer. I have always have had mixed feelings about carrying an enforcer/fighter, whatever terminology you wish to use. I hate it just as much as anyone on here when the team and its skilled players take cheap hits and elbows and so on. But I would rather see skilled players defending, scoring, and winning games for the team, instead of barely winning or losing on the basis of an under skilled player running around looking for the last guy that took a cheap shot on a skilled player, and finding his ass in the box. Just my opinion though.

I went to the Griffins home opener and another game. During the opener this guy kept coming over and yapping at Downey while he was on the bench but as soon as Downey got on the ice he stayed clear of him or headed right to the bench. I love both McCarty and Downey but I feel like Downey would be the better person to have sitting in the press box waiting for the more physical games. I expect McCarty to get another game or two and at that point if he's not doing better they will flip flop him and Downey until Franzen comes back.

I wouldn't compare Downey's "enforcement" to what he could do in the NHL. He is going after a bunch of AHL youngsters.

Either way I don't think either of them would do much good in their roster spot when it comes to skill.

We can only hope........McCarty is washed up. I don't even know he is out there until he gets into a hugging match.

I was also in favor of Mac returning last year. It was one of the feel good stories last season. But it's a new season, and I believe every spot should be competed for. Whether were talking a fighter or a more skilled forward. But the problem is Downey can't skate or score for s***. And I am not so sure that replacing McCarty with Downey is the answer. I have always have had mixed feelings about carrying an enforcer/fighter, whatever terminology you wish to use. I hate it just as much as anyone on here when the team and its skilled players take cheap hits and elbows and so on. But I would rather see skilled players defending, scoring, and winning games for the team, instead of barely winning or losing on the basis of an under skilled player running around looking for the last guy that took a cheap shot on a skilled player, and finding his ass in the box. Just my opinion though.

Sorry but McCarty isn't better skater than Downey, McCarty isn't going to score more than Downey, McCarty isn't physical and he can't fight. Downey at least is better fighter. IMO McCarty is useless...

How come we didn't go with Georges Laraque? and just let McCarty and Downey go. He was a free agent this year. Plus he can skate and contribute.

I think George wanted to much $.

How come we didn't go with Georges Laraque? and just let McCarty and Downey go. He was a free agent this year. Plus he can skate and contribute.

This one should have been on the SATs I would have gotten into Havard with questions like these, KEN HOLLAND WAS TOO BUSY SIGNING A GUY NAMED HOSSA AND ANOTHER NAMED STUART!

Sorry for the caps but please people, in this offseason Holland added the premier UFA, the best (IMO) available 3-4 D-man, and a solid backup. A knuckle thrower past his prime was not going to fit under the cap, hell he had a hard enough time filling out the roster under the cap and that is with a log jam of Defensive prospects, that he had to trade one and probably will another to stay under cap.

Were half of you people paying attention this summer, what happened was Holland was too busy signing impact players.

Guest micah
I wouldn't compare Downey's "enforcement" to what he could do in the NHL. He is going after a bunch of AHL youngsters.

No he isn't. AHL tough guys are every bit as tough as NHL tough guys and they fight more. It isn't an easier job by any stretch of the immagination.

Guest micah
This one should have been on the SATs I would have gotten into Havard with questions like these, KEN HOLLAND WAS TOO BUSY SIGNING A GUY NAMED HOSSA AND ANOTHER NAMED STUART!

Sorry for the caps but please people, in this offseason Holland added the premier UFA, the best (IMO) available 3-4 D-man, and a solid backup. A knuckle thrower past his prime was not going to fit under the cap, hell he had a hard enough time filling out the roster under the cap and that is with a log jam of Defensive prospects, that he had to trade one and probably will another to stay under cap.

Were half of you people paying attention this summer, what happened was Holland was too busy signing impact players.

I don't doubt that Holland would have shown some interest in Laraque, he is an interesting player, far more complete than most who do his job. I suspect that the real reason he wasn't seriously courted was that he was wanting to live in and play for Montreal, not Detroit.

I don't doubt that Holland would have shown some interest in Laraque, he is an interesting player, far more complete than most who do his job. I suspect that the real reason he wasn't seriously courted was that he was wanting to live in and play for Montreal, not Detroit.

Yeah you are probably right, it had nothing to do with the 3 free agents Holland signed and the cap space, it was that Georges didn't want to play for Detroit. You bring up a great point!

/sarcasm!

Yes let us recall a guy who is pointless with a -1 +/- in the AHL, that will sure turn the team around... ;)

They definitely would be better then 8-2-2 with Downey playing 4 minutes a game...

The only 3 players on Grand Rapids that merit NHL duty at this point in time are Helm, Ericsson and Leino, and there isn't room for them, why would there be room for Downey...

Plus Mac is only playing every night because Franzen is out...if Franzen were healthy Mac wouldn't play..so the difference between Aaron Downey eating Nachos in the Press Box or McCarty eating popcorn when the team is healthy is not a concern to me.

Guest E_S_A_D
No he isn't. AHL tough guys are every bit as tough as NHL tough guys and they fight more. It isn't an easier job by any stretch of the immagination.

100% Correct. Research Dennis Bonvie.

Yes let us recall a guy who is pointless with a -1 +/- in the AHL, that will sure turn the team around... ;)

They definitely would be better then 8-2-2 with Downey playing 4 minutes a game...

The only 3 players on Grand Rapids that merit NHL duty at this point in time are Helm, Ericsson and Leino, and there isn't room for them, why would there be room for Downey...

Plus Mac is only playing every night because Franzen is out...if Franzen were healthy Mac wouldn't play..so the difference between Aaron Downey eating Nachos in the Press Box or McCarty eating popcorn when the team is healthy is not a concern to me.

Do you really have that little knowledge of the game of hockey? It has nothing to do with Downey playing 4 minutes, or 20 for that matter. It completely has to do with the fact that our stars feel more able to play THEIR game without ducking every two seconds. It's simple - a tough guy keeps the flies off the players that are there to produce. You think George Laraque or now Eric Godard's job is to be goal scorer's on the penguins? Hell no, it's to protect Crosby and Malkin and let them confidently play their game without worrying who's going to crush them into the boards without retribution.

Think about it... Do you feel safer walking the streets at night where the police are patrolling or not? Downey is the players police if an anology helps you understand.