• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedWingNut378

'97 Brawl

Rate this topic

Jw, has anyone watched this? I'm sure a lot of you have..

What were they talking about, its been 301 days since the hit on kris draper?

DELETE PLEASE: I watched the video after it :P

It's a classic piece of Red Wing history.

Guest Shoreline

If you haven't seen the brawl you're not a Wings fan.. or maybe a newb. Hating the Avalanche is a good piece of history. Not in any sport did I ever hate a team as much as I did the Avs back then, and for good reason too -- they were a bunch of cheap shot artists along with sissies, and worst of all, being those things, had an attitude on top of it. Almost as much as I enjoyed the Wings dispatching the Flyers and 'Canes in two of the recent Stanley Cups, I enjoyed the hell out of watching them kick some Avs ass just before winning those cup, especially the embarrassing Roy statue of liberty play, which led to the Avs losing the game, following that the 7-0 beatdown in Game 7 and chasing Roy, with the Wings getting the last laugh. Good times.

That's the game that made a little kid from Australia fall in love with the game and the Red Wings.

Hmmm... I wonder... if the game was as sissy then as it is now, if I'd even be a fan.

Oddly enough, I just watched that game the other night. My sister rented the Netflix (I think it's #7 in the series).

If you enjoyed that and would like more insight on it and the events surrounding it, you might be interested in reading "Blood Feud" by Adrian Dater. Good book.

I see that and fall in love with Mac all over again.

did not see that when it happened but it is always awesome to watch.. makes me wish i was fan back then but i dont think i even knew what hockey was in 97 haha <_<

Edited by Duck Guy

If you haven't seen the brawl you're not a Wings fan.. or maybe a newb. Hating the Avalanche is a good piece of history. Not in any sport did I ever hate a team as much as I did the Avs back then, and for good reason too -- they were a bunch of cheap shot artists along with sissies, and worst of all, being those things, had an attitude on top of it.

Hey man, plenty of room for new Wings fans. We're playing some great hockey these days and that is to be appreciated. Though, it's sad new fans will never feel the way we felt when playing the Avs. Any match against them was a pride match. You just wanted to win so badly and you could feel it deep in your bones when those guys were in town.

If we meet the Ducks in the playoffs this year, I think we may have a new rivalry to look forward to. They've beat us before and they have the potential to be cheap. That's how the Avs rivalry started.

I especially like how McCarty tries to pick up Lemeux after he's given him a few pops to the back of the head. He tries to stand him up so he can kick his ass proper.

What would you have said if some one told you that the first fight to start the chain reaction would be between Larianov and Forsberg?!!

Good times.

Edited by T.Low

If you haven't seen the brawl you're not a Wings fan.. or maybe a newb. Hating the Avalanche is a good piece of history. Not in any sport did I ever hate a team as much as I did the Avs back then, and for good reason too -- they were a bunch of cheap shot artists along with sissies, and worst of all, being those things, had an attitude on top of it. Almost as much as I enjoyed the Wings dispatching the Flyers and 'Canes in two of the recent Stanley Cups, I enjoyed the hell out of watching them kick some Avs ass just before winning those cup, especially the embarrassing Roy statue of liberty play, which led to the Avs losing the game, following that the 7-0 beatdown in Game 7 and chasing Roy, with the Wings getting the last laugh. Good times.

" If you don't live in Michigan, your not a wings fan, or maybe a newb. " I wasn't interested in hockey back in '97, i do remember it and i knew about it but it wasnt fresh in my mind, watching the hit on draper reminded me of it.

Guest Shoreline
" If you don't live in Michigan, your not a wings fan, or maybe a newb. " I wasn't interested in hockey back in '97, i do remember it and i knew about it but it wasnt fresh in my mind, watching the hit on draper reminded me of it.

So the newb thing was right. :P

Although I do wonder how many other fans out here got to be Wings fans. You're lucky to be a fan with those cup memories, even if you didn't watch hockey for that cup victory. Lots of heartbreaks and disappointments, with potential unraveling trades/losses, just before then. I still bear hatred toward the Devils regarding that sweep, along with their wretched style of play that plagued the league afterward.

Edited by Shoreline

Agreed - however we don't have the "type" of players today like we had then...If the Wings today accepted the invitation for fisticuffs from the Ducks - better have a few ambulances standing by to take some Red Wing players to the hospital.

Cleary was able to stand his own against the biggest guy on their roster despite getting his eye guoged out at the start.

Agreed - however we don't have the "type" of players today like we had then...If the Wings today accepted the invitation for fisticuffs from the Ducks - better have a few ambulances standing by to take some Red Wing players to the hospital.

Lilja, a healthy Cleary, Downey, McCarty, and even Stuart can hold there own against the Ducks, but I agree there nothing compared to what the Wings used to ice, but we still have the potential for brawls, but the more of the season that goes on, the less likely it is that Downey will play any games.

I was visiting my brother in CA and had gone to Big Bear for some snowboarding that day with his roomate . Made him leave early so that we could watch that game because I knew something was going to happen. He bitched at me the whole way back from Big Bear because he didn't really care about the game. He thanked me for dragging him back as he said it was the best hockey game that he had ever seen in his life (that guy was originally from MI and had watched way more Wings games than I had at that time). Easily the best game in the Wings history.

Lilja, a healthy Cleary, Downey, McCarty, and even Stuart can hold there own against the Ducks, but I agree there nothing compared to what the Wings used to ice, but we still have the potential for brawls, but the more of the season that goes on, the less likely it is that Downey will play any games.

I still have confidence. He beat the s*** out of whoever it was last year that injured Lidstrom. That was a good game.

Ian Laperierre. But I think the other highlight of that game was Babcock's shouting at Granato from the bench :thumbup:

That was right after Laperierre took a run at Downs and he got rocked. I suppose Granato asked him to stop beating up his players?